“Good Food - Price wise a rip off”

L'Acquario Degustazione
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 21 May 2014

We had a great quality dinner.
A starter recommended by the waitress, a combo of seafood and fruit (she had actually offered one for each but we decided for just one to share) and as main courses a 25€ half languste and a 18€ seafood risotto from the menu.

The mistake was not to ask for the price of the starter.

Getting the bill it turned out to be 50€ just for the starter !!!!!

A starter for more than twice a main course without letting the customer know is a NOGO.
Total bill was, including a good bottle of wine for 42€ plus some water a total of 160€.

paolotrimarchi, Proprietario at L'Acquario Degustazione, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

Hi, I'm Paolo Trimarchi the owner of Restaurant. I really apoligise for your dissatisfation, I'm really afraid about

your comment, I thought you left my restaurant completly satisfy. I could understanding if the food was poor and

expensive too but it wasn't.
First, the waitress reccommand a plateau of Mix Tropical Fruit with mix Crustacean Salad beacuse was freshly,

lightly and different than classic fish's dish, which is a fully dish per person and perfect as stater to share. A dish

including a localy lobster, a claw lobster, a crab, red prawns and shrimps completely immersed in mix and freshly

tropical fruit, that is the onestly justification for the price, as you can see from uploaded pic. Immagine, If you have

to buy every single ingredients separetely, absolutely will be more exspensive then you've paid. I confirm, as you

said, it is rich course but easy to manage for two, some costumer order as starter and other as main course, I

couldn't decide for them beacuse I supposed they know what they wont to it . Honestly I didn't receive a complaint

until now about this dish from anyone else, is the first time for me.

Second, you had a Linguine with half Lobster and Seafood Risotto, they cost are 16,00 and 15,00 euro respectevely

from menù. I never use to swell up the price to anyone costumer, just beacuse i don't need to do it. Fortunally, we

are the only place got a acquarium with salty water which the meaning is we are maintening and preserve all

seafood and all crustacean alive, we don't push to sell it, don't swell up the price and how you can see the price for

half lobster is absolutely unreaseble.

We use to cuddle own customer as you can see personally, nice welcoming and good service, we use to offer

biscquits and wine dessert. We love to respect own costumer we use to offer biscquits and winedessert.and I invite

you to concact me directly by email or phone at anytime you preferer for better explain.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

Picked the restaurant based on reviews here and am so glad we made the €25 taxi journey from Taormina. As we got out of the taxi we saw the fishmongers shop next to the restaurant and had a look in and were greeted by the owner who proceeded to show us around for about 15 minutes. It's great to see such a passionate person talking about their subject matter. My wife and I travel a lot, eat at some of the best restaurants and love seafood, but speaking to the owner we learnt so much about Italy and the seafood it offers.

As a former restaurant owner I was delighted that he was also happy to show me around the kitchen and was very proud of his produce, chef and food he cooked.

The restaurant was small maybe 20 covers at most and was laid out very nicely. We could not have had a better host and he was very happy to help with our food order/suggestions and pick out an excellent wine for us. The waitress was also excellent and we have not had a better meal in long while.

We ate clams, mussels, lobster with pasta and managed deserts - awesome meal.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

This place is located in the centre of Giardini di Naxos but not by the sea.
From the outside, the entrance of the local is not that easy to find, like a car parking as well.
From the inner part, the restaurant appears in a contemporary minimal design, full of light, strange lamps, and tables all based on white, brown, red and ochre.
I was given the menu in a short time and I was even asked if I would have preferred a different table.
I ordered a main dish and a second dish.
I was given a free appetizer, but it was nothing more than a homemade crouton with smoked salmon.
The waiters were particularly kind and skilled.
The "Piatto Acquario", the one I chose like main dish, did worth its price, because it's a nice mix of seafood sea ​​urchins and "bue eyes", and every ingredient seemed of high quality.
For the second dish, instead, I ordered diced tuna with sesame seeds and balsamic vinegar, but the waitress told me they had finished the tuna and they could use swordfish instead of it.
I accepted the suggestion, even because I wanted to try this recipe.
I have however to recognize that I did not appreciated at the most the lack of the tuna, both because I'd have preferred to eat that and even because the recipe with swordfish seemed a bit incomplete.
The taste of the fish even in this dish was nice and seemed of great quality.
At the end of the dinner I was offered a glass of Sicilian grappa and sweet made of almond paste, I appreciated very much.
I guess the price to be a bit high, but the quality of the food and the kindness of the waiters deserve a visit.

Reviewed 27 December 2013

We ate here in the evening and I can honestly say it has to be one of the best places I have been to. Everything is of very high quality and all fish is fresh-it comes from the preparation area/shop next door. Service is excellent but not intrusive. The wine choice is excellent-we drank an Etna variety. I had oysters and Paolo certainly had a good knowledge of the various types. We are very fussy diners in that we expect things to be right, to taste superb and for service to be top notch. This restaurant did not disappoint. I can certainly recommend this to everyone. Well done et grazie

Reviewed 17 December 2013

The Acquario is a small restaurant seating perhaps 30 with a casual elegance which immediately makes one feel both relaxed and pampered.

For those who have never eaten at L'Acquario the crustaceans and shell fish are all alive when brought into the kitchen to be prepared, so when we talk about fresh it doesn't get any fresher than that. Paolo features over a dozen different types of oysters daily that are maintained to perfection in his saltwater tanks as well as scampi, lobster, and crab. He has a pump that draws saltwater from the sea to his tanks which provide oxygen and filters the water maintaining the crustaceans and shell fish in perfect and alive condition. All of the fish are locally caught and never farm raised. I've dined here on four occasions and would highly recommend everything on the menu, I've never eaten anything less than excellence in it's preparation and presention though I would certainly recommend the mixed raw seafood appetizer for first timers to this establishment.

The wine selection is small but intelligent and all of wines on the list go extremely well with the dishes from the menu.

The Acquario is definately a "destination restaurant" and not to be missed on your next trip to Sicily.

1  Thank thefireknight