“Perhaps my Favorite Hotel in Many Years!”

Hellenia Yachting Hotel
Ranked #26 of 38 Hotels in Giardini Naxos
Warren, Massachusetts
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 2,669 helpful votes
“Perhaps my Favorite Hotel in Many Years!”
Reviewed 8 May 2011

In everybody's life there is a Hellenia Yachting Hotel, a place that feels like home, a place with magic that makes you want to return. It was so for me from first sight. Situated on a tree-lined avenue with tropical palms, orange trees, and other exotic foliage, you enter from a curving stone path. The hotel appears to be old, perhaps from the 1910-1920 period and the main lobby is extensive with Neoclassic furnishings, crystal chandeliers, and gilt mirrors that remind one of another time and place. The back of the hotel opens onto an expansive terrace with a pool that overlooks the sea.

Our rooms were ready upon arrival and bellmen escorted each of us upstairs. I remember wondering that the hallways were somewhat narrow and plain as I was led to the end of a long corridor. The key turned; the door opened; and I was embraced by the loveliest room I'd been given in some time...#234. As group leader, I was given a major upgrade complete with sitting room, dressing area, full bath, and beautifully draped double doors leading to the bedroom. French doors in the bedroom opened onto a wrap-around terrace with a view of Taormina to the left, the Ionian Sea straight ahead, and the pool and terrace to the right.

The color scheme was soft yellow with accents of rose red. A gilt settee and pair of chairs were arranged around a marble cocktail table; a crystal chandelier sparkled overhead; and polished limestone floors were underfoot. The king sized bed was comfortable and the room was equipped with a very nice desk, mini bar, and safe. Draperies were damask and the effect was Old World and luxurious.

Bed linens were of fine cotton and were changed daily. Lighting was excellent for reading. There were two televisions, one for each room and the number of TV stations was good with several stations for each of many languages. The key was attached to an enormous bronze key tag...so heavy that you wouldn't forget to leave it at the desk when you went out. Elevators were small and somewhat slow, but I didn't let it bother me.

The bath was comfortable with full bath, shower, bidet, and polished limestone vanity. Towels were large and fluffy for the bath and hand towels were of cotton damask...another old fashioned touch. Hot water was plentiful. No face cloths, so bring your own if you like them. Nice amenities.

The main dining room was elegant. I had the opportunity to dine here for breakfast every morning, for lunch once and for dinner twice. Breakfast was excellent and consisted of scrambled eggs, bacon, assorted breads, croissants, fresh fruits, cheese, cold meats, cereal, yogurt, and a marvelous coconut cake. The hotel is well situated for touring. There are two little restaurants across the street; the Hilton next door has a bar with a bartender who understands how Americans like their martinis; and just about a quarter mile up the street is a small grocery store. Further up the main avenue is an archeological excavation of the original city of Naxos dating to around 500 BC and beyond that are more restaurants and the small port city of Giardini Naxos.

All this being said, I loved this small and intimate hotel with its friendly staff and trappings of the gilded age. I was thrilled to stay here.

• Stayed February 2011
4 Thank redeco

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Slovak first
Giarre, Italy
Reviewed 12 April 2011

I had a friends coming to stay in Giardini, they asked me to book a room for a week in a nice hotel. I walked in to this hotel and after being ignored by the staff as they chatted with eachother for more than 10 minutes I left! If this is how they treat a potential customer imagine how they act after they have your money!

Room Tip: Stay somewher elese!
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank GN4evr

Travellers are raving about these Giardini Naxos hotels

Greater Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 October 2010

Our stay here could not really be faulted: excellent service & cleanliness, and a balcony view of Mount Etna & Taormina Bay in the distance. We had only booked bed & breakfast, & found the typical Italian breakfast more than satisfactory. I know other British guests bemoaned the lack of choice in the hot food department.
My only criticism would be the poor sound-proofing of the room. On a number of occasions we were "entertained" to the family arguments of the couple next-door & their 20-year-old daughter.
In the area around the hotel we found a number of inexpensive restaurants. I think the Sire-Oasi was our favourite - good food, & a genial host. On a couple of nights we pushed the boat out & ate at the more expensive, but very enjoyable, La Spelonca.
Don't miss a day out in Taormina ( only e2.80 return on the bus ). It's a beautiful town, with many interesting buildings & a multitude of shops to enjoy. But, be warned! Avoid two bars - "Shatulle" in the Vico Luigi Lombardo & the Restaurant Corso Umberto, in the street of that name. The former, in spite of its smart decor, serves the worst tuna, mayo & lettuce sandwich I have ever had in my life. The latter charged the most I have ever paid for a cup of tea & a cake - e10 (£8.90). This place even outdid Florence, where I paid e5 for a Coke, when the food only cost e3.50.
Still it was the Romans who invented the phrase "caveat emptor" (buyer beware) & I will never order in an Italian cafe again without looking at the menu.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mancunianuk45
Downpatrick
Reviewed 8 October 2010

We had a wonderful time at this beautiful hotel.
Food perfection and the staff gave us great care.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
New Jersey
Reviewed 25 September 2010

We stayed in this hotel with a Central Holidays Tour. The online information from Central Holidays was that we would be staying in one of two hotels in Taormina. When the travel docs arrived, they informed us we would be staying here. This area is a beach area (kind of like a poor man's South Beach) and not conducive to touring Taormina. The mirror on the door was cracked. There was mold in the bathroom. It was a small, cramped room and it didn't even have a clock. I don't know about Italy's star ratings, but they are not true ratings. They only gave shampoo as an amenity (no conditioner, body lotion, etc. ). Since this was a part of the Central Holidays Tour, I had to stay here. If you want to stay in this Giardini-Naxos area, choose the Hilton next door. I would also like to suggest that people do not use this tour company. They listed 3 hotels for the tour and used none of them, but they should at least have put us in Taormina.

• Stayed September 2010
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 September 2010

Lovely, clean twin room with excellent,quite air-conditioning. The pillows were a bit lumpy but they changed them. Breakfast was good and we ate our evening meal in the hotel restaurant every day. The food was very good Sicilian fayre. The pool area is good with sunbeds, and there are sunbeds and umberellas you can hire on the beach . We had a good relaxing holiday. Friendly, helpful staff at reception and restaurant.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
herefordshire
Reviewed 8 August 2010

This is a very friendly hotel with private beach, Although I cannot speak Italian
the staff were helpful and friendly. Located near many good small local bars and restaurants. a 20 minute walk from the busy center of G Naxos. The room we had on the fourth floor had a large balcony overlooking the sea which was excellent by any measure. Stunning. Only one complaint - our bed mattress was too hard and we should have asked to have it changed making sleeping uncomfortable.
In the evenings there is an excellent keyboard one man band musician at the poolside bar who plays everything from santana, italian classics and popular hits.
There was no internet available during the stay but available nearby,
Ideal base for trips to Etna and Toarmina which is very very busy in August.
Not a cloud in the sky for 8 days.
We will come again.