“Great”

Hotel Sporting Baia
Ranked #32 of 38 Hotels in Giardini Naxos
Reviewed 9 August 2014

My sister and I have stayed at the annex of this hotel known as Villa Athena which is 3 stars hotel and placed nearby (street behind) Sporting Baia,very near the beaches. Our room was comfortable and clean with lovely balcony, air conditioning and safe. Bathroom was clean and spacious. Food was served in Sporting Baia and it was great (many variety of dishes for dinner). Staff was friendly.

Room Tip: Room 1208.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Mirela H

Reviewed 28 July 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights this month. The hotel looked lovely as we walked in. We went to our room and the electric went off, then came back on again. The second night we came back from the beach and there was no water. We could not have a shower, or flush the toilet. This put us off even attempting to eat in the restaurant as how clean would it be. We were on a tour so not a lot of food choices. It was awful and we refused to eat it. The waiters in the restaurant were the most unpleasant I have ever met. The guy that was serving in the bar was very friendly. I would not set foot in this hotel ever again and if they think it is 4 star they must be having a laugh. The air conditioning was a waste of time as it was blowing warm air and not cold, bearing in mind it was over 80 degrees. The hotel room itself was not welcoming and we did not stay in it only to sleep because we had to. Beds very uncomfortable.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jen S
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights as part of a cosmos tour of sicily, we couldn't of being more disappointed!

The hotel itself is in a great location, across the street from a gorgeous beach and right by all the shops and bars. But this is the only good thing about the hotel.

First impressions of the hotel are good, lovely exterior and a welcoming reception. The room we stayed in was worn out, shabby and in dire need of an update. I have stayed in many Italian hotels that are slightly old fashioned but are always classy and well maintained. A door was hanging off one cupboard and all the wooden surfaces were scratched and worn out. The bedding resembled something of a child's duvet, covered in moons and stars, not to mention the huge yellow plastic atrocity which was supposedly a headboard. There was a feeble attempt at decoration in the form of a spray painted stencilled border which vaguely resembled lemons and oranges.

The bathroom was fine, very clean.

I really don't know how to describe the shambles that was the restaurant. The food was disgusting, borderline inedible. The staff were extremely rude and abrupt, the first evening we were there a waiter rudely asked one of the members of the tour why the had an attitude problem and why they were being rude, when all the guy had asked was how do we order food for the next evening! A member of the tour also asked to put a drink on their room tab and was told this was not possible, and when she asked why she was told that 'people like you drink then leave without paying'.

Breakfast was very basic, few types of cereal and croissants, and no fresh fruit!

I would avoid this hotel at all costs, terrible room, and rude staff!

Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank BethCrossley
Reviewed 16 July 2014

The Hotel itself is very oldish. We stayed there for 4 nights, and we started with the wrong foot the minute we talked with the receptionist. 1 week prior of arriving I called the hotel and nicely asked if we can get a double bed and not 2 beds, I also asked if we can get a room on an upper floor and a balcony. Smokers need a balcony. I told them the balcony was a must. They agreed and even told me that they noted. The receptionist gave us a room with no balcony and 2 beds. When I asked them why they didn't take my request in consideration they searched and said they don't have any free rooms. When I went back to the room - people were leaving - yep .. no rooms left! I had to take the stairs because one elevator didn't work and one didn't go to my floor and was already full, If I pushed 3'rd floor it went down in basement.).

They assign a table for you for entire stay, we did not knew that and they gave us a table next to a freezer that was making annoying noises - after 2 days they managed to change our table.

As for food, prepare for pasta every evening and eggs every morning. The most disgusting thing I ever encountered is that I found at my table an used "clean" glass with lipstick lips on it.

Also ... very sad/angry looking staff, 99% of them are looking at you with a frown face.

Good thing is next to a beach (paid beach).

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Mihai Viorel I
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Just had a week there and was very disappointed. Our room was cleaned but it needs a complete revamp very basic, how it got a four star I don't know, more like a two. was not told about the private beach and had to pay 2euro for swimming hat and 5 euro to go in the swimming pool for only 1 hour, what a rip off. My daughter paid a lot of money to take my husband and myself there and she felt so upset as it was not as portrayed. The ac didn't work at all in our rooms,and the shower door fell off. No wifi in the rooms only in the lobby and very expensive. Most of the staff were helpful but their English was very poor. And then came along Gianfranco Aldisio, a wonderfull man what this hotel would do without him I don't know. We saw him as a waiter but our encounters with him was with the bar. Wonderfull barman and he knows his drinks. His daughter is also very sweet and would go out of her way to please. We would not go to this hotel again or recommend it.

Room Tip: don't go.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Jackie H
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Stayed here as par of a tour group in early October this year.
The hotel is situated right on the beach front and my room had a prime view of the beach.
The only real bad point of the hotel was that the air conditioning had been switched off from 5th September (apparently this occurs every year), however we were in the midst of a hot and humid late summer, which meant the room and the whole hotel was unbearably hot! Other than this point, I would give it higher rating. Suffice to say, I had spent most of my time either on the beach, at a local bar or on my balcony, so the lack of air conditioning wasn't too big of an issue for me.
The set menu dinners provided were average, the breakfast choice was great.
Close enough to nearby Taormina, but in my opinion better place to stay, meant that it was in an ideal location for a typical Sicilian beach side holiday. I would definitely be back, if I had a chance, but next time before they switch off the air-con for the cooler months!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
5  Thank Rob G
Reviewed 26 September 2013

The hotel is separated from the beach by the road. You spot it immediately among the frontline buildings due to the architecture and the large name-sign on top. Parking the car is with near zero chances, but the hotel is prepared with a private car parking company who will resolve the problem for you (against charge, but it takes the care off your mind). Very good and helpfull reception staff. Our room was small, but it must have been the least expensive, so i don't blame them, and presume other rooms are better. I didn't have the chance to try the spa, but it was big advertisment about it. Considering location, price, it was excellent choice for us.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple