First of all, we have had an impression that this hotel is located in the midle of a garden, far from other hotels and residences. That is not true. Hotel has a modest garden, although pretty. Nearby buildings are just 20 to 50 meters away.
This part of Giardini Naxos, Recanati, is however a touristic area, that means all buildings are hotels or similar for tourist accomodation. There is no source of noise (clubs, bars etc.) around the hotel, so in that sense its location can be tagged as peacefull. I have read other reviews mentioning often weddings in the hotel. Since we have been there in August, there was no weddings (Sicilians avoid weddings in the August). But I agree, that such activity would rouin our peace.
If you want to eat out, there are very decent restaurants only few houndreds meters away. Center of Giardini is reachable with a half a hour walk, but there is not mouch to see.
Hotel has its own beach, 200 meters away. Beach is sandy, kept clean, with basic equipment, but without beach bar. And it cost 10 EUR (umbrella and two deck chairs).
Since the beach is in the reach, we were not using the pool. I noticed that there were always free beds and also a pool bar.
There is also an inner pool area, recently renovated and very nice. I entered there by mistake and run away because it was very hot and wet.
Hotel building itself is very strange, probably due to its organic growth. It has rather irregular shape with pretty long corridors for the hotel of that size. It is in the acceptable condition, but obviously old.
Rooms are different in size. Our was decent in size, with good double bed and basic toilet. Sheets were changed every few days, towels every day.
Breakfast buffet is decent, but after a week you get bored with it.
Dinner is a la carte style, you chose one of three/four dishes, for primo and secondo piato and desert.
We did not have any complaints on food we eat, except one, but BIG: in the grape land we did not see in the hotel restaurant a grain of grape, not mention watermelon, melon, apricot, figs. The choice of fruit is based on apples, oranges, kiwi and sometimes peaches. Fresh vegetables / salads are also avoided by the chief, you can eat only tomato for breakfast. That is a shame for the Sicilian hotel.
And my favorite hotel rule: gentlemen are kindly asked to wear trousers during the dinner. I think that this is really annoying when you come in July/August on leisure vacation at 40⁰C. I guess that owner insist on this rule because the hotel facilities are often used for some events at same time the “ordinary” tourists are dinning.
So, Recanati (Giardini Naxos) is a good basis for excursions on Sicilia (every major attraction is on 50km except Palermo). You can also enjoy sun and sea.
Sant Alphio Garden is an OK hotel with few minor remarks.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Sant Alphio Garden Hotel & Spa is located in the heart of Giardini Naxos, close to the most fascinating destinations of the island. A few steps from the sea, the hotel is located in the east coast of the Ionian Sea, in a picturesque setting and evocative, from which you can enjoy a unique view. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with LoveHolidays, Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick, Ebookers, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Sant Alphio Garden Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sant Alphio Garden Hotel Giardini Naxos
- Sant Alphio Garden Hotel And Spa
- Hotel Sant Alphio Garden
- Sant Alphio Garden Hotel & Spa Sicily/Giardini Naxos