“Why are 3 stars never 3 stars in Italy?” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Ambassador

Hotel Ambassador
Ranked #7 of 8 Laigueglia B&B and Inns
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
“Why are 3 stars never 3 stars in Italy?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2011

I called about 15 hotels in Laigueglia, before getting a room for me and the kids in Hotel Ambassador. No wonder it was the last room, no air conditioning and with morning sun. Scorching hot. It was sea view, which could have been kind of nice, but which also means being right above the Via Aurelia, very loud with a lot of traffic also during the night.

Breakfast is absolutely awful. All the baked goods is super-industrial, the kind with loads of sugar and vegetable oils. No fresh juices, just some stuff from a machine with the most synthetic colouring I ever saw. No fruit, no cheeses, no ham, no good bread.

I have no idea about lunch and dinner since we had all our meals in town. The cook is not unknown, they tell me, but even a good cook cannot work miracles if ingredients are second rate.

The hotel is clean and well kept and the staff is relatively friendly. But when I complained after two night that it was impossible to sleep the answer was "You should have asked for a ventilator, how should we have known you couldn't sleep if you don't tell us?"
Yes, how.... I got another room, to the back of the hotel, much cooler and quieter. The only problem with this room was the non-working shower drain. After five minutes the whole floor was covered in water.

Both rooms had a balcony with a small table, chair, and the possibility to hang wet swimming suits and towels.

The hotel has a private parking which is totally necessary in Laigueglia. It just takes a lot of time for the valet to get your car out. In the morning I asked him to get the car and he told me that I should have told him early in the morning that I would be leaving! As if they didn't know I had booked three nights. So I said, ok, we'll go into town for an hour, could you have it out by then?

When we came back from town the car was still way inside the parking lot, and apparently this was my fault for coming back at 11.30 instead of at 11.00.

This could be the perfect little hotel if: you get a room to the back with air conditioning, don't care about watching TV (they are old small and crappy), really like industrial style brioche for breakfast, have a dog (it seems to be a dog owners hotel), don't mind shower curtains and crammy bathrooms. I will obviously not go back there.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank annary71

Also consider these accommodations in or near Laigueglia
Hotel Aquilia
#8 of 19 in Laigueglia
Grand Hotel Spiaggia
Grand Hotel Spiaggia
#6 of 50 in Alassio

Been to Hotel Ambassador? Share your experiences!