“Saw a lot of recent activity and ratings for this place so I felt compelled to review it. I was recently in L'Aquila on...” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ristorante Le Mangiatoie

Ristorante Le Mangiatoie
Reserve with
Ristorante Le Mangiatoie is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #108 of 280 Restaurants in L'Aquila
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2009

Saw a lot of recent activity and ratings for this place so I felt compelled to review it. I was recently in L'Aquila on business and found the food incredible. We ate at several places each better than the next That was with the exception of Ristorante Le Mangiatoie. The location was nice enough, off the main street in a quaint back alley. Nothing we ordered off the menu was available and any similar dish the waiter offered was at least 6 euros more than the similar menu item. That was our first problem. The food was not bad,
certainly edible, but what a difference in quality from what we had in other meals. Nothing seemed fresh and nothing was anything special. It was by far the most expensive meal of the stay and by far the worst.

2 Thank tasteycakes

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Just a bad dining experience. We were in L'Aquila for 7 days and had 6 great and memorable meals. On the last and...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2009

Just a bad dining experience. We were in L'Aquila for 7 days and had 6 great and memorable meals. On the last and seventh night, we went here on a recommendation from the guidebook. The food was barely edible. The side of potatoes was possibly dropped on the floor because there were bits of other things besides the potatoes and rosemary. Our steak was hard to cut into and didn't have much flavor. The ravioli was ok but nothing special. What a disappointment since it was our final night.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Boston
“Locals don't always know the best places”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2009

I attended a conference at the University of L'Aquila and ate here with a student from the area. She had said that this restaurant served wonderful, typical Abruzzo dishes. After eating there, I resisted telling her that the food is typically mediocre. I had a steak that was overcooked. I must say that the bottle of Montepulciano d'Abruzzo was excellent.

My first L'Aquila restaurant experience was at a slightly higher priced establishment, but the same types of dishes were so much better.

2 Thank Azulejos22
Florida
“A singularly bad experience in L'Aquila”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2008

I've traveled all over Europe and never had a truly bad experience at a restaurant--until Le Mangiatoie in L'Aquila. The food was mediocre, but it was the service that set this place apart. The waiter overcharged us for the unforgettable non-menu dishes that he recommended (after telling us that our original choices from the menu were not available). He even overcharged us for the wine, which we called him on by pointing out the correct price in the menu.

Regardless of our mistake in not asking the price of the "special" dishes, this waiter's behavior was unacceptable.

4 Thank TheWanderingJoe