“the class was terrific. really learned how to make pasta”

Cooking Experience Lezioni di Cucina Salentina
Ranked #1 of 10 Food & Drink in Lecce
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“the class was terrific. really learned how to make pasta”
Reviewed 23 May 2014

we had a lot of fun in the class. shopping for the ingredients was terrific. we made two types of pasta, a stuffed veal dish, salad, dessert and enjoyed a wonderful meal. highly recommend the Cooking Experience. Phil Weinstein

Visited May 2014

• Polish first
Kansas City, Kansas
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Be Italian for a day”
Reviewed 4 February 2014

I have the feeling that each experience that Gianna imparts on her students is a little different. The day seemed to be guided by her large repertoire and a relaxed sense of letting things go where they wanted. Every moment was unforced and enjoyable. I'm apprehensive by nature, and her charm and calm demeanor quickly won me over.

The day we went, she met my wife and I, plus the other students and a translator (our Italian is really limited) fairly early in the morning in one of Lecce's historical squares. From there she took us down the street to a local farmer's market where we selected fresh, local produce, meats and cheeses for the meal. Then it was time for a coffee break in a local cafe, where we chatted about the city, her family, and with the other students (adult tourists like ourselves).

Then the day really began. We went to her amazing studio - a stone arched room with a giant table in the middle, already set up for our lessons. Each station had toques and customized aprons for us (to keep), as well as the necessary cooking tools. Gianna (and the fabulous translator) patiently and humorously worked with us to make an entire, multi-course Italian meal. A little over half way through the day, the local wines came out. We were already relaxed, but now...

Once the courses were finished we went out to the patio and enjoyed the fruits of our efforts al fresco, along with more local wines and house made digestifs. No cleaning to do, and a full day of local food, wine, customs and a very authentic Italian experience.

After everything, I would say the class is a great value. It takes most of the day, but the time flies by. The food is not complicated - anyone could do this class. I'm fairly experienced, and the local details and tricks elevate even the smallest of tasks, making it enjoyable for every level.

Visited October 2013
Adelaide, Australia
“fantastic cooking experience”
Reviewed 18 December 2013

We were in Lecce for 2 weeks and had two cooking lessons plus a boat trip, all while learning Italian with a lovely group of travellers. Gianna was fabulous. I learnt so many special cooking techniques and made exceptional pasta and gnocchi. The highlight was the boat trip where we "helped" a local fisherman bring in the nets for the day's fishing and then made fish soup. I've since made the soup at home and it was delicious. Gianna is so vivacious and was such fun to be with, and made our time in Lecce very special.

Visited September 2013
Beaverton, Oregon
“A must do”
Reviewed 4 December 2013

I took four classes with Gianna with classmates while we were all learning Italian. She is an absolute gem! Despite any language barrier, she is patient, warm, and enthusiastic about teaching. I still use some of the cooking basics I learned from her, and I don't think my time in Lecce would have been the same without her cooking school. Even if you only have time for one class, it is absolutely worth it if you're anywhere near Lecce.

Visited July 2013
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“More than a cooking class”
Reviewed 19 November 2013

As the name suggests, Gianna's classes are about much more than cooking. I took four classes as part of a language course, so our classes were conducted in Italian, so we were learning language at the same time as cooking. As well, I learnt a lot about Italian food, and cooking and eating habits, and also about wine and how to appreciate it. At the end of each class, the food we had cooked was served in the beautiful courtyard, and eaten with a lovely glass or two of wine.

Gianna's bright bubbly personality makes the lessons fun, and all is organised carefully so that a complete meal can be prepared in the time without any problem. The cooking experience was a wonderful part of my time in beautiful Lecce.

Visited September 2013