“Good food, great company and a wonderful Gianna !”

Cooking Experience Lezioni di Cucina Salentina
Ranked #1 of 11 Food & Drink in Lecce
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 7 June 2014

This was a very unexpected pleasure! I came to Lecce to study Italian and as part of the course we had 3 or 4 cooking lessons with Gianna. I am a mother of 3 and cook well all the time but it was wonderful to be taught a few new tricks and simply to be in such a beautiful environment. The idea of a cooking experience didn’t really appeal to me but Gianna has such energy and knowledge that she completely won me over. We all had a great time, the ones that could cook and the ones who had no idea – fun was had by all!!

All reviews
"international visitors"
"great class"
"panna cotta"

Reviewed 23 May 2014

This class is a joy, from the greeting in the Duomo in Lecce to the end. Gianna is not only a great teacher, but a font of knowledge about food, wine and cooking, as well as the ingredients of the region. The preparation of the food is done under her watchful but kind eye. She is wonderful fun as well and the meal at the end is nothing less than delicious. Anyone interested in food and cooking should take at least one class.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

we had a lot of fun in the class. shopping for the ingredients was terrific. we made two types of pasta, a stuffed veal dish, salad, dessert and enjoyed a wonderful meal. highly recommend the Cooking Experience. Phil Weinstein

Reviewed 4 February 2014

I have the feeling that each experience that Gianna imparts on her students is a little different. The day seemed to be guided by her large repertoire and a relaxed sense of letting things go where they wanted. Every moment was unforced and enjoyable. I'm apprehensive by nature, and her charm and calm demeanor quickly won me over.

The day we went, she met my wife and I, plus the other students and a translator (our Italian is really limited) fairly early in the morning in one of Lecce's historical squares. From there she took us down the street to a local farmer's market where we selected fresh, local produce, meats and cheeses for the meal. Then it was time for a coffee break in a local cafe, where we chatted about the city, her family, and with the other students (adult tourists like ourselves).

Then the day really began. We went to her amazing studio - a stone arched room with a giant table in the middle, already set up for our lessons. Each station had toques and customized aprons for us (to keep), as well as the necessary cooking tools. Gianna (and the fabulous translator) patiently and humorously worked with us to make an entire, multi-course Italian meal. A little over half way through the day, the local wines came out. We were already relaxed, but now...

Once the courses were finished we went out to the patio and enjoyed the fruits of our efforts al fresco, along with more local wines and house made digestifs. No cleaning to do, and a full day of local food, wine, customs and a very authentic Italian experience.

After everything, I would say the class is a great value. It takes most of the day, but the time flies by. The food is not complicated - anyone could do this class. I'm fairly experienced, and the local details and tricks elevate even the smallest of tasks, making it enjoyable for every level.

See more reviews
Reviewed 18 December 2013

We were in Lecce for 2 weeks and had two cooking lessons plus a boat trip, all while learning Italian with a lovely group of travellers. Gianna was fabulous. I learnt so many special cooking techniques and made exceptional pasta and gnocchi. The highlight was the boat trip where we "helped" a local fisherman bring in the nets for the day's fishing and then made fish soup. I've since made the soup at home and it was delicious. Gianna is so vivacious and was such fun to be with, and made our time in Lecce very special.