“Too tight to pay for a 5 star but it doesn't stop you complaining eh?”

Hotel Baita della Luna
Hotel Baita della Luna
Ranked #35 of 47 Livigno B&B and Inns
Co Meath
“Too tight to pay for a 5 star but it doesn't stop you complaining eh?”
Reviewed 31 January 2009

Hi all - just back from a fabulous week's skiing in Livigno! Before travelling, I booked this basic two star hotel, despite some of the poor reviews, because I deduced that the one star reviews were basically borne of individuals who are too tight to pay for a five star hotel but who still expect five star treatment. Boy was my deduction borne out to be correct. My experience of this hotel was basically all favourable. 1) Fantastically central - 100 yards from the central ski school and a short cross country ski away from the motolino cable car. 2) Entirely adequate breakfast buffet - all the usual stuff, cereals, meats, breads, coffee etc just like any european hotel - one to five star. 3) Bloody warm rooms - needed to open the balcony doors on occasion. 4) Plenty of hot water .. as long as you dont shower for two hours at a time, three times a day! 5) Clean towels ... actually they seemed clean but being a 'real man' and not some obsessive-compulsive hygeinophile the cleaners may well have just replaced the damn things back on the rails - who knows? They were still white by teh end of the week at any rate! 6) Excellent ski gear storage/drying room. 6) Bloody cheap place to stay !! - €98 euros a night for two adults and one kid to stay. better value than anywhere else with such a central location. This perfectly good hotel was very quiet for this time of year and I wonder if that was at least partially due to the scandalously unfavourable reviews on this website? Are you looking got a good basic place to stay in livigno at low cost - dont worry about the knarcky tight-fisted-but-precious grouches and go ahead and book ... it aint the Ritz but its absolutely kosher. (i've given it five stars to counteract the annoying one star reviews ... in truth its really a full blown three stars - which is bloody well good enough for a budget hotel! CHeers!)

Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank wolfandcub0070

Solo
junkman
Reviewed 18 December 2008

I dont know why people are slagging this place off, for me it was absolutely perfect.
This place is located at the centre of Livigno, walking distance to ski lifts, restaruants, shops and bars. Secondly, completely value for money at 40euros per person per night including breakfast you cant go wrong.
This place is clean and comfortable and i had no problems with the owners of the place, infact, any bit of help I needed that were more than willing to help
As far as sleeping arrangements are concerned, I slept like a baby every night. I think some peoplego on holiday wanting to complain, they need their heads examined.

great place, thats why Im going back again next year

SId

Stayed February 2008
2 Thank junkyman
dublin
Reviewed 29 February 2008

hotel without bar or any facilities.
small twin room without any ventilation.
breakfast was only ok
would have liked towels to be changed.

Stayed February 2008
Westmeath
Reviewed 26 February 2007

This place is awful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We arrived in Hotel Baita Della Luna (even the name is a joke) in February 2007 and were treated like dirt from the moment we got there. I truly dont even know where to start with this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It baffles me as to why INGHAMS deal with them it really does. It truly does not deserve to be called a 'HOTEL' because it isnt one.

Upon arrival we climbed the stairs to our rooms (noticing how loud they were) and when opening our doors noticed that all the doors were water damaged - not a good sign - however not that big a deal we thought. In the end it actually indicated how FILTHY this hotel is.

We stayed there seven nights and NEVER got clean towels, the cleaners whom were extremely ignorant put our used towels on the radiators, one of which wasnt working, to dry them but never gave us clean ones yet for some strange reason they had a pack of clean ones with them whenever they decided to tidy a bit.

Our rooms were cleaned about twice and at that all they did was drag a mop around the room and away they went. We soon found out though that we were one of the lucky ones as some of the people never got their rooms cleaned.

The hotel is made of paper literally, no matter how quite you try to be coming up those stairs you would think there was a herd of elephants climbing them and then the man who owns the place lives there with his family and they complained non-stop about the noise of people coming in day or night when in fact there was nothing anyone could do. This confused me a lot, you would think they would know it was their problem the hotel and stairs werent sound proof, not the guests who were staying there.

There was no hot water TWO days we were there which clearly didnt bother the man who owned the place because he did not wash himself or change his ORANGE TROUSERS once while we were there so hot water was not an issue for him but it was however for us.

We were told that we were expecting too much from a two star hotel now im sorry i have stayed in two KEY apartments on sun holidays and have gotten my room cleaned every day and clean towels every day and hot water everyday. I do NOT think it is too much to expect from any accommodation to get clean towels at least every second day and hot water EVERY day.

Breakfast would have been ok if the tea and coffee were hot (clearly they have a problem with hot things) if we hadnt been handed the same hard, gone-off cereal every morning with the same jug of milk every morning etc etc oh and freezing cold boiled eggs it may have been a bit more enjoyable, needless to say when we realised all this we soon stopped eating there.

On the day of departure, we sat in the bus awaiting the arrival of our rep and the cleaners got to work for once, but it was for our benefit we soon learned, they began to throw things out of the balconies of the rooms on to the street - items of clothing etc - assuming they were ours when in actual fact they werent. They were already in some peoples rooms on arrival and clearly they hadnt noticed because they hadnt cleaned before we got there. This obviously was supposed to bother us when infact we just sat there mouths open at how rude they were being - can you imagine if we had of forgotten any clothes and here they were being thrown on to the street.
also while we sat there they got mats and throws for the beds and just hung them off the balcony - some cleaning that was - those things needed to be replaced because i dont even think a wash would have done the trick - then again im not surprised if all they have been doing is hanging them off a balcony for years as a cleaning method.

They really showed the Italians up i can tell you - everyone else were very nice in restaurants we went to, pubs we went to and our ski instructors we brilliant.

These people have not got a clue how to run a hotel, they havent a clue how to run anything, their social and business skills are next to nothing and it appauls me as to how they are still in business.

Please if you read this review i am not exaggerating DO NOT STAY HERE.

Stayed February 2007
6 Thank Jwest13
London
Reviewed 20 March 2006

The Baita Della Luna has good points and bad points.

The good:
Location! Great location, by the centre of town and 3 mins walk from the bottom of the Mottilino gondola.

OK breakfast selection.

The Bad:
In need of updating. Yes it is only a 2* but I have stayed in far better 2* hotels. The bathroom in my room in particular needed a bit of attention. The door to the hotel says 1974 (must be when it was built) and it clearly has not been redecorated since then!

Also, the walls are very thin. I was woken every night by people coming back to the hotel late and climbing the stairs / talking in their rooms.

Staff - there was never anyone on reception the whole week I was there (apart from check in and check out).

In summary:
All in all it is an ok hotel and I would stay there again in theory(but would take some earplugs with me to ensure an unbroken nights sleep). If you are looking at a selection of hotels in Livigno I would probably go elsewhere, but if you have found a cheap deal for this hotel then I'd say go ahead and take it.

• Stayed March 2006