Hotel San Giovanni
US$141
Hotel Alpi(Livigno)
Official Site
TripAdvisor
All reviewswine shoppizzanext yearthe busskiing holidayfabulous hotelfriendly atmospherefamily run hotelski liftapres skiexcellent foodslopescarosellograziewinesjanmeters
Reviewed 24 June 2010

I made the mistake of a buying a very expensive bottle of boxed Scotch from the owners shop under the hotel.

Imagine my surprise, having spent nearly 70 Euro, when I opened the box when packing the night before I left to discover an 8 Euro bottle inside!

I confronted the owner, who claimed that it must be 'other customers' and refused to let me take another box from the shelf, despite there being lots on display - he insisted I take a cash refund and would not let me exchange - why? Because ALL the bottles in the expensive boxes had been swapped for cheap ones.

I repeat, do NOT stay here, the man is a thief.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank LiberalThug
savio1974, Owner at Hotel San Giovanni, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2010

Dear liberalThug,

unfortunley the bottle you request was finished… and instead we refund all the money ..!!!
So we dont understand what do you want…!!
I think you have swap the bottle and request money back as well.. so maybe you are a thief and liar….!!

Reviewed 13 March 2010

Traveled in a group on 8 taking 4 rooms in the hotel. I was aprehensive having read previous reviews but very please to find them all dumbfounded, the owner must have been reading and made a number of changes!

Checking was great - greeted by the owner and given all the information we needed. The 4 rooms were spacious (for a hotel), we had a sofa, friends over the corridor had a balcony, others had and dbl and single bed so all the rooms had their own different charms. the bathrooms were clean with plenty of hot water. Our room was way to hot and we left the windows open until we sorted the rads out then just left the bathroom window open, also it doubled as a handy fridge/freezer with the shutters stopping anything blowing away.

The food was good basic fare, simple dishes which were tasty and filling. We had a choice of 2 starters and 2 mains. We only ate out once in the week. The only issue was with the 2 veggies with us, they weren't so easily catered for (anywhere in Italy) and things like 'tuna salad' had meat in it, but the staff were happy to remake a dish for them. In the end we just added 'no meat' to the selection sheet at breakfast and it was sorted.

The staff were all friendly and helpful and we never saw any 'grumpy waitress' during the stay (dismissed maybe?).

We made full use of the lounge area next to the small bar, taking our own food and drink in without issue (still not sure if that was cheeky or not but oh well!).

Overall a nice place to stay, not ski-in/ski-out as the slopes at the back are only a learning area with drag and you have to walk over to main area, but the bus stop is outside and with 14 busses at 9-10am we used them to get to the 3 main areas.

The main negative was the long... long.. bus ride there, and the really rubbish, overpriced, tourist trap we were taken as a rest stop, forget the 'restaurant' and go to the cafe instead!

Apparently a different airport will be used next year making the coach only 3.5 hours rather than 5.5hrs (no loo on bus).

the skiing is ok, well laid out but we had skied almost all the runs by wednesday but if your a intermediate/beginner your have plenty to do. I wouldnt reconmend it to advanced, the blacks are wide and easy and you get fined/ranted at if you go 'off the runs'.

• Stayed: February 2010
1  Thank The_Hooded_Claw
Reviewed 21 February 2010

i have just returned from the San Giovanni, Livignio and had a wonderful stay. The San Giovanni is a small family run business so you intermediately feel part of the area and know you are somewhere special rather than a faceless hotel where you could be anywhere.

The food is plentiful and varied and staff are certainly accommodating if there is something on the menu that doesn't suit. The rooms are large, clean and very warm!! In fact we slept with the window open!! The hotel was regularly used by non-guests so you are not limited to just your hotel folks!

Plenteously of snow, great skiing!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank EssexHamish
Reviewed 14 February 2010

I have stayed in Livigno three times, I travelled twice with Nielsons and once with Livigno Snow. I know the area well and have stayed at both ends of the town as well as central. I have never had any trouble or witnessed or heard of any, apart from this...

This year I stayed in the San Rocco area in a private apartment next to the San Giovanni. I saw an advert for a 6 euro English Breakfast so on the first morning me and my friends went there. It was our first morning.

We were the only people in the hotels restaurant, in fact the slop behind it was dead, the outside patio was dead and we at first thought it was closed as only 2 cleaners were around. We entered through the back door, usually used by skiiers, but the slope was empty. To get to the backdoor you would have to walk all the way around the building, we did because we were staying next door, but the entrance was unused that morning. We even sat talking about how dead it was.

We stayed for half an hour.
We left.
100 yards down the road I reach into my bag to retrieve my brand new camcorder and it's gone. The pocket had been zipped back up. The bag had been strapped to my snowboard and propped up against the back door of Giovannis, just 2 meters from us but out of sight due to a clay oven. We sat by a window and could see the entrance clearly.
My friends all saw me put it in that pocket as we left our apartment as I said 'It's there for us all to use, just use it when you like'. The only stop we made was the Giovani.

At the time I remember thinking the cleaner by us was beginning to act strangely. In hind sight I remember him talking to the other about us in Italian while the other stood int he back door entrance. I now believe he was telling him the bag belonged to us.
I remember him well because he was very thin and had jeans half way down his bum while hoovering! He then came and started cleaning the area next to us despite it having already being done, he was facing us and the back door where i'd left my bag attached to my snowboard and where hw was just talking to his colleague. I did notice this and think it weird. Meanwhile his friend, the other cleaner who had passed our table several times in the direction of my bag by the back door went out thought the backdoor (where my bag was) and came in throughout the front door! It was so obvious that I considered it too obvious for him to be touching my bag, he had been by it for a couple of minutes, it just seemed too obvious. Then both then disappeared before returning and resuming their cleaning. As we finished our breakfast they both vanished.

I am absolutgley 100% certain who took my camcorder, as are my friends. I have no proof, it's all circumstantial.

I spoke to Nielsons who advised me to speak to the owner and let him know we could be making a statement to the police later that day, the idea was to give them time to 'find' the camcorder as the threat of the police usually works.

I returned to tell the manager I would be naming his staff as the thieves, he said 'my staff don't steal, anybody could have taken it and what do you expect if you leave it alone'. Nielsons spoke to the owner who had a similar response. They didn't seem interested that nobody else was there and the bag was by the backdoor where only the cleaners were.

Interestingly though the cleaners were there when we arrived to complain, they were sat exactly where we were sat the day before and they greeted us like they knew us speaking Italian to each other, laughing and saying 'hello', of course we were all over the recordings on the camera hard drive, including me in my pyjamas, and they seemed to find something hilarious- coincidence?

Anyway I went to the police and made a report, but the translator was reluctant to allow me to name the men. He said we would be kept there for a long time, forced to attend court. I didnt know if this was true but didnt want to risk it, it was the second day of the holiday and by now was starting to frustrate the whole party so I didn't name them. I am considering writing them a letter though to be added to my statement.

I take some comfort in knowing the lost business this has caused is more than the value of the camcorder but am still very frustrated and angry with the business for not supporting us, surely it's in their best interest to flush out thieves. Their reputation is at stake.

My advise to you is this, the breakfast was (like everywhere in Livigno) expensive for what it was but enough to make us go back on a daily basis had the theft not taken place, please please do not let your belongings out of your sight, which is near impossible if you plan on staying there.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank WendyLloyd
savio1974, PROPRIETARIO at Hotel San Giovanni, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2010

Dear..

I’ m not agree with your reviews.

For first thing is not possibile make accuse without prove or report from the police.

I read your story and I found couple of things not clear:
1) you say < after 100 yard out of the restaurant I don’t find my camera..!!>
so why you didn’t come back straight away in the restaurant and claim for your camera..?? and not like you did the next day .!!
2) You see the waiters make this and this and this ..
how you note all these things if you are making breakfast…??

3) why you let your value in a place where everyone can take it..???in a place like a restaurant..??

I think maybe you let the camera in après ski bar…!!!

best regard
cusini savio

Reviewed 20 January 2010

Went to the San Giovanni for Xmas with my partner.
It was an ok hotel but i wouldn't go back there. There wasn't anything really wrong, or bad about it, but there wasn't anything exceptionally good about it either. It was just one of those places that wasn't that memorable or special.

Positives:
The rooms were cleaned daily, and were not a bad size.
The bathrooms were nice, clean and spacious.
The location was good- there was a ski school and lift around the back of the hotel, and a bus stop just down the road.
Nice food (but see below)

Negatives:
The meals were tiny. They were 3 courses, but the main course was smaller than the starter and consisted of things such as Cold Veal with Tuna, or Ham and Cheese, or things in German or Italian, which we had no clue what they were. (they did offer pizza if you didn't like what was offered, but we got told we were only allowed this once) It was a good job myself and my partner had brought snacks with us, as we'd have spend most the time going hungry.
Breakfast was a choice of crusty rolls, ham, cheese, jams, chocolate spread, two cereals, small biscuits and if we were lucky, croissants.
No-one told you how anything worked. I'm use to going into a hotel and having a set time list in your room for meal times, but no-one told us any of this. We didn't even know if there were any free drinks with dinner, and avoided ordering any drinks for breakfast (as we got charged for anything we ordered at dinner).
Rooms were a bit chilly . (It was my first ski holiday however so i don't know if this was common but my partner and myself would spend most of the time when we were in our room in bed in our clothes due to the cold.)

As mentioned earlier, it was an ok hotel, and nothing really wrong with it, just in my opinion things weren't ideal for myself.
But do avoid going at Xmas time and ordering/having a Xmas dinner, as these are a joke. The main dinner consisted of a slice of "turkey" , of which mine was pretty much all stuffing, a courgette (or something similar) and one or two what looked like mini potato chunks.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank k0nstantine
PACO70, owner at Hotel San Giovanni, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2010

Dear..

I’m sorry if you not happy with san Giovanni,but why you didn’t ask for ..??

We have a standar hour for heating.. but you know we have some clients have cold and some have hot..so if you tell me in our rooms is cold we put some extra hours heating….

you said the dishes are small ..
why you didn’t tell us .. I was there every evening..you never told me nothing..
We don’t charge for 1 extra dishes of pasta or main course..

For breakfast all the drinks are included.. we had charge just dinner drinks..like coke…

Remember ask cost nothing…

Best regard cusini savio