“A Gem”

Ranked #1 of 1 Yaxley B&B and Inns
London
“A Gem”
Reviewed 30 August 2014

Stayed for 3 nights & used as a base for a short break. Whole experience from booking to checkout was smooth & problem free. The rooms were spotless with fine quality linens & towels. We had dinner twice at the Auberge & both meals were excellent, breakfast's were freshly cooked & to order. The owners & staff were welcoming & made us feel very comfortable. A very nice place to stay & we will would definitely return in the future.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Eye, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2014

We live 10 minutes down the road and pass by in and out of Diss daily so in April we decided to try it for my husbands birthday meal. When we walked into the bar area it felt as if we had stepped back in time to the 80's.

It's very much a family affair and whilst the food was fine that's as much as I can say about it. We felt it lacked inspiration and flair and a little expensive, i find it impossible to reconcile our experience with the rave reviews on here. Bit of a non event!!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Denise G
Reviewed 26 August 2014

I stayed at this hotel recently for a visit to my head office. Very nicely located on the A140 Norwich-Ipswich Road. Although by the main road, the noise levels overnight were not noticeable from my room.

Room was very well appointed with king size bed, air conditioning and a very well specified bathroom with walk in shower (no bath but not a problem personally).

The on site free Wi-Fi I found to be very slow so would suggest using a separate dongle etc if you have one.

I had an evening meal in the restaurant which was very good, cooked to my liking and served within good time. The restaurant was particularly busy (popular) for a Thursday evening.

Overall I would highly rate this hotel/restaurant

Room Tip: All rooms seem to be very good
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
norwich
Reviewed 4 August 2014

My husband and I chose the Auberge for our wedding anniversary and we were not disappointed. We had a beautiful 4 poster bed, the room was spotless, there was a large bathroom with large bath ( no separate shower) large flat screen TV and air conditioning. We arrived in the early evening, the bar and restaurant is closed all day and opens at 7pm, there is a large very charming restaurant, very nicely laid out with real attention to detail. Despite the bar being closed , we asked the owner if we could have a drink and she brought us a drink to have outside.

We had a 3 course meal which was very nicely presented, I had the prawn risotto which was very tasty followed by the 8oz rib eye steak and vegetables , my steak was a little fatty and not quite as tender as the steak my husband had, but it was cooked perfectly, I can recommend the cheese and biscuits. The atmosphere was relaxing and the owners were very attentive.

In the morning we had a full English breakfast which again was very nicely presented and very tasty.

We got a package for £160 for the night for 2 of us, this included a 3 course evening meal and breakfast and the room with 4 poster bed, We also ordered drinks and coffees throughout the evening so the 1 night cost just under £200.

This is a very good quality restaurant with fantastic rooms, ideal for that special occasion.

The only downside is that it is situated on a busy main road, which is only noisy if you have the windows open, otherwise it is very quiet. The other thing is that the hotel opens at 7pm and check in time is 1pm.

I would definitely recommend for couples.

Room Tip: Bury st Edmunds is worth a visit , great for shopping.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

Not the first visit here for me, but by far one of the best restaurants in east anglia and worth going out of your way to visit. The owners have been here many years and have continued to keep the food quality as well as developing accommodation. The whole place has a warm and friendly atmosphere and the outside seating is so welcome in this very warm spell. Three of us turned up without reservations and were greeted, seated in very comfortable seats and looking at the menus in no time. We ordered calves liver for two of us and one rib eye steak. When it was presented to us it looked mouth-wateringly good. When we had finished there were 3 clean plates and that says a lot. Deserts and coffee were equally as good and rounded off the lunch. It was a little later in the day when reflecting on the lunch that I felt it was worthy mentioning on trip advisor. The attention to detail on every aspect of our lunch had been carefully put together to provide a meal not only with taste bud sensations lasting most of the day, but allowing a gathering of friends with a lot to talk about to enjoy the food. Highly recommended venue and I will be returning again.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2014

If you are looking for 24 hour room service, a leisure centre, porters and all the usual trappings then this is not for you. The very proud (and rightfully so) owners advertise the establishment, as a restaurant with rooms. What a restaurant, A1.
The rooms are comfortable, everybody is welcoming and friendly, the price is reasonable, and the food fantastic.
The owners have done a fantastic job on converting a run down pub to a high quality Restaurant with rooms, and we wish them every success going forward, we cannot wait to go back.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Bourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We found the Auberge on the internet by chance and what a find. We booked two nights bed and breakfast and booked a table for dinner on the first night. On arriving we took the opportunity to grab a bit of lunch in the restaurant. The baguettes are an entire meal in themselves...highly recommended. The bedroom was decorated wonderfully and the four poster bed both looked great and was very comfy. The room was very clean and tidy and the owners had thought of everything that should be in a guest room. Dinner was superb. We both had steak and it was cooked to perfection. I tried the bread and butter pudding with passion fruit sauce for dessert and it was so good that my partner wanted to take it off me. Breakfast is ordered the day before and is cooked to the time of your choice. Again, it is cooked to a fantastic standard. The only negative thing I can think of is that we could hear the traffic from the room...but seeming as the property has been by the side of the road for the last few hundred years and has been host to many, many travellers, it's a small price to pay. My advice would be to enjoy a meal in the restaurant and a glass or two of wine and there'll be no problem getting to sleep. My final thanks are to the owners and staff. Nothing was too much trouble for them and we felt like more than just a paying guest. We are already looking forward to our next stay at the Auberge!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yaxley
Best Western Brome Grange Hotel
#1 of 1 in Thornham Magna
The White Horse Inn
The White Horse Inn
#1 of 1 in Stoke Ash

Been to The Auberge? Share your experiences!