“Not what I expected”

Cerana Relax Hotel
Rome
“Not what I expected”
Reviewed 22 April 2010

Hotel said to be restored, but restoration just involved the SPA and a part of the rooms. Others are old fashioned, with old and damaged furniture. No decoration, no carpet, poor towels with holes and marks. Nevertheless rooms are clean and housekept twice a day. Bathroom is the wrost of the room. Poor shower inside a tube with an old curtain. No vanities at all and no advices that they could be available on request. I'd never imagined to stay in 4 stars rated and be compelled to bring a shampoo by myself. Hairdryer was an old style pipe hanging from the wall: never seen even in a 3 stars.
Pillows were so hard that caused a pain in my neck during all the holiday.
Tha SPA area is new and very good. Nice pool with beds, nice sauna and steam bath.
Any kind of control about rules respect. Even the children weren't allowed to enter in the wellness area there always were unpolite kids making noise in the showers, inside the sauna and even in the relax area.
Impossible to relax in the pool always full of kids diving, crying and doing a lot of noise.
On the other hand staff was very king, food great and the position of the hotel is very good for skying as you so close to the chairlift.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
guildford
Reviewed 24 February 2010

I am so reluctant to write this review as I so dont want to tell the rest of you what you are missing out on. This hotel is absolutely superb, it is marketed as a 4 star but I have stayed in many 5 stars that can only aspire to be this good. A wonderful hotel suitable for all.
Reception.
My Italian is poor and so is there english but who cares, this time my schoolboy german worked and we all understood each other. Every day they have a welcoming smile and are so keen to help. In fact on the first night the owner parked our car. I think he recognised a poor driver.
Restaurant
I am so fussy about food and because of my job eat in some of the best restaurants in London. The food here is absolutely superb. Four courses every night and everyone of them delicious. desserts are to die for, they must all be home made. Even a separate cheese course with at least 8 different varieties. Lucky it is so close to the ski lifts :-) The waiters are absolutely attentive and professional - some of the best ever.
Wellness Centre
Top quality with great pool, jacuzzi and steam room and sauna.
Rooms.
Exceptionally comfortable with a turn down service. Excellent is not a word I would use lightly

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank happyskier35
Moscow
Reviewed 14 February 2010

Stayed in this hotel for 2 weeks this year. General impression of the hotel is very good. Design, location, stuff, spa - everything is on high level. I would like to note that this hotel has the best dinners in town. We've been to other hotels and restaurants in Madonna - Cerana's cuisine is absolutely the best! As for minuses of this place - rooms are quite small and there is no place where to dry your clothes after a long skiing day in the mountains. And also it is difficult with English language at the reception. they should at least understand that I want a map of a town.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
Devon
Reviewed 4 January 2010

I stayed at the Cerana Hotel in December, having looked at most of the hotels in the area. First impressions were fantastic. The hotel is very well appointed, the staff are extremely well trained and courteous - the only slight problem is that English is not spoken by many people in the hotel so communication can be difficult. Navigating the menu was interesting, but on the second night we had our own English translation, which was extremely helpful as there were four delicious courses every night. The food was absolutely amazing. I cannot fault it in any way and the hotel should be commended for the quality of the the meals and the attentiveness of the waiters.
The spa was sumptuous, but I think it would have been useful to know that flip-flops were needed. We had to buy them, at a cost of 7 euros a pair.
The only real problem was that our room was quite small and the sofabed was extremely uncomfortable. Once the sofabed was out, you couldn't open the drawers to get to your clothes or get to the window. I did make a complaint, but the language problem made it a very long, and frustrating process. Eventually, I was offered a discount on the price of the room, but as the hotel was almost empty I was surprised that we weren't given a better room in the first place.
Aside from that, we had an amazing time. Transfers from the airport were seamless, you can virtually ski to the gondola, which is only steps away, and I would definitely return.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
Ireland
Reviewed 21 October 2009

I travel a lot for business and could spend at least 15 nights per month in hotels; therefore there are 2 things which are really important for me when selecting a hotel – the room and the hospitality.

Given that I could spend up to 2 weeks in the same hotel I will always look for a new or recently renovated hotel which offers spacious, comfortable, contemporary style, quiet rooms. It’s a tall order I know, but it is vital when so much time is spent travelling. In addition to that, good professional yet friendly staff that makes you feel at home is a must. So bearing that in mind, I had to be in Madonna Di Campiglio for 2 weeks in July and a further 2 weeks in August and I stayed in the Cerana hotel on both occasions. I have nothing but good things to report back – so here they are:

• Rooms – absolutely fabulous. I booked a suite on each occasion and it was faultless. It was new, contemporary, light wooden floors, very quiet, excellent beds and beautiful white bed-linen.
• Bathrooms – Huge bathroom on my first visit (with bathtub) and separate shower-room and on my 2nd stay, I had 2 bathrooms in my room. One with shower and the other with bath.
• Restaurant – Great food every day. We were half-board, so the buffet breakfast was everything you could imagine and the evening meal was always a treat. Compliments to the chef – he was great
• Staff – Danilo who waited on us on both stays was such a fantastic guy – just 19 years old, but already one of the most professional waiters I have ever had the pleasure to meet. Always greeted us with a smile and was never without a joke. He made us feel like we were his only customers every morning and every evening.
• The owners – I personally think it would be hard to find a nicer family anywhere else. They made us feel at home from start to finish. I’m sure that they do not have many business travelers staying at their hotel – most people go there for leisure, but the hospitality shown to us was incredible. The father made us feel like family (I still refer to him as Papa when I talk about him to my colleague!), the mother was always ever so professional, polite and always asking us if everything was ok, Daniele their son was also very professional, courteous and attentive to our needs.

So, a big thank you to all at the Cerana who made both our stays so special. We will be returning back to Madonna Di Campiglio in the future and will most definitely stay at the Cerana again.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business