“Day trip to Paestum”

and up
Half-Day Ancient Pompeii Tour from Amalfi Coast
Ranked #4 of 9 Tours in Maiori
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Before I left home, I booked and paid for 2 tours - a day tour to Capri & Anacapri and to Paestum. Unfortunately, the weather turned for the worse and the trip to Capri was cancelled and I was unable to go on another day. Because the trip to Paestum was perhaps not going ahead because of lack of numbers, I went to Salerno to check out how I could do the trip myself. Absolutely too hard, so I was pleased to join Sunland when they got enough people. Sunland credited my credit card for the total of the 2 trips and then debited the Paestum trip. Done very quickly and efficiently. Sunland were in touch with me daily until it was sorted out. I studied Greek history at school and even though I've been to Athens twice, it was wonderful to see the three temples almost intact, with no scaffolding and only one other group of people. Our guide spent a lot of time explaining the site to us and then we went to the fabulous museum. It contained many really interesting exhibits and I loved it, especially the painted tombs. We had lunch at a restaurant next door (not included) which was nice. Unfortunately, after that there really wasn't enough time spent to buy postcards, souvenirs, etc. Our guide and driver were excellent. I would recommend Sunland.

All reviews
"plaster"
"roads"
"euros"

Reviewed 30 June 2013

Wow, where do I start with this outstanding experience?! Firstly, let's start by thanking Lorenzo, Marco and Raffaele and Annamaria for their genuine Italian hospitality- a truly memorable day in the hands of truly wonderful people. The excursion involved a private taxi ride from our hotel in Maoiri to the Ristorante dei Cavalieri in the authentic picturesque village of Scala high in the mountains near to Ravello. We were greeted warmly by Raffaele with coffee and smiles. The class itself consisted of cooking 3 courses of traditional Italian dishes (from scratch, no cheating). The whole thing was taught in a relaxed style by father and sons. Despite occasional language barriers all of our hosts were extremely patient, entertaining and keen to impart their abundant knowledge of Italian cuisine. We were truly privileged to be so warmly welcomed by this family and given such an insight into their culture and love of good food. The good natured humour and close bonds across three generations of this family (Beautiful baby Chiara-Raffaele's daughter) was clear to see. All in all a most memorable day and a highlight of our 7 day trip. We wish Lorenzo and family every success and thank them kindly for a very special day. Perhaps we will revisit them again some day, Grazie, Seonaidh and Fiona (Scotland)

Reviewed 25 June 2013

We booked the Paestum tour from Praiano before leaving home in Canada. In the booking process, they wanted me to fax them a form with my personal information and credit card information. Apparently, they are not set up for online transactions. Not only did I think this was not a very secure method, but I did not have access to a fax machine. They only wanted a credit card to hold the reservation. They wanted me to pay cash when I actually arrived for the tour. We finally agreed that I could mail them the fax form. When we arrived on the Amalfi coast some weeks later, our villa host called them the day before to confirm that our trip would be going. They said that it was but that they still did not my credit card info. We supplied the information again and (unknown to me) they promptly charged it to my credit card. The next day we went on the trip and part way through the trip, I asked our guide when and how I was to pay her for the services. She did not know and called the company who told her that they had already charged my card.
The trip to Paestum was okay - not that great. We were rushed through the site and then lead to a restaurant where they wanted us to have lunch (not included). We arrived back at our villa in Praiano 1 hour and 15 minutes before the advertised return time. So, I don't know why they rushed us through the site.
Getting to Paestum from the Amalfi coast for a day trip on your own is not simple using public transport. This company could have a good thing going with better management of the trip and delivering the package as advertised. I am not saying don't use them if you really want to see Paestum, but next time I would see if there are better options.

2  Thank Brian S
Reviewed 13 December 2012

The Pompei & Vesuvius trip was very good, Raffaelo was a good, lively and funny guide - Excellent. We wanted to get a good view at both sites and we did.
Making the trip from Positano to Amalfi via transfer van, then changing into a bus and embarking on a full day program of 2 sites, plus the return trip and transfer makes for a very long day, but it's worth it.
In our case the return transfer from Amalfi to Positano was delayed for about an hour due to a religious procession along the way, which put the coastal road into a full stop. This is obviously not something Sunland Viaggi can do much about, it would only happen once a year or so. As a result we missed the local bus to Nocelle, but our driver gave us a lift up there. He wasn't happy about it, but we were. Thanks again!
The visit to the Cameo factory wasn't really necessary, but we understand the underlying logic - enough said. We would have preferred a shorter break for lunch, without the restaurant visit, but that's just us ...
Overall, if you want to see these 2 sites on a fully packed day, go for it!

See more reviews
Reviewed 3 December 2012

Staying on part of the Amalfi Drive we decided to leave the driving up to the experts, wise move!

We did two trips one was Herculaneum/Sorrento and the other Pompeii/Mount Vesuvius, we had two different guides, one was Sandra and the other Raffaello, but the same driver, Dominico. He was excellent and I had complete faith in driving along this hair-raising area! Both guides as well, were very knowledgeable and really helped us to get the most from visiting these sites.

So why haven't I give it 5 stars?

I would like to have had longer in Sorrento, it was just 2 hours, although it was supposed to include a tour of a Inlaid Wood Factory, with a demonstration, but in reality we were taken to a shop! But in reality the day would have been very long if we had more time, so perhaps the tour operators should consider a separate visit to Sorrento.

Again we had about 2-3 hours in Pompeii, again such a large site to cover in a short time period. Perhaps the tour operators should have a trip to Pompeii on its own, that includes the guided tour and then gives you time to explore on your own.

However I would not let this put you off booking with them, as being fully escorted, with the Pocket amplifiers working really well, and they also offered good advice about toilets and food options, to help you make the most of the trip.

All in all good value for money.

1  Thank JaneHoops