“Another fabulous dining experience in Malcesine”

Ristorante al Gondoliere
Ranked #3 of 105 Restaurants in Malcesine
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Dear Guests, due to logistic and organization reasons we accept booking at 7pm and 9pm, we rarely accept reservations at different times. We kindly ask to let us know if you are in late, otherwise the booked table will be reserved for 15 minutes. Trusting in your understanding we thank you. Gentili Ospiti, per questioni logistiche e organizzative accettiamo prenotazioni alle 19 e alle 21, raramente riusciamo ad accettare prenotazioni al di fuori di questi orari. Vi chiediamo la cortesia di chiamare se arrivate in ritardo, in caso contrario il tavolo prenotato sarà tenuto per 15 minuti. Confidando nella vostra comprensione vi ringraziamo.
Reviewed 18 August 2011

This is an update on my previous reviews for this restaurant, following another holiday in Malcesine. The owners Arsenio and Valentina welcomed us back and showed us to our favourite table, where we were once again treated to an evening of excellent food and wine. All the dishes are freshly prepared every day, and cooked perfectly. The presentation of the food is flawless, and adds to the overall experience.
My wife and I were so impressed that we returned many times over the course of the holiday, and on each occasion the quality remained top class.
If you enjoy good food you simply must visit the Al Gondoliere. Prices are very reasonable, and the portions are large enough to satisfy even the hungriest of diners.
For sheer quality and value for money Arsenio and Valentina provide an unbeatable sevice.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,426)

Reviewed 15 August 2011

We had a lovely meal here on a Saturday evening in late July. The restaurant was busy but service was still very good. The food was of a high standard. I particularly enjoyed my pasta with pistachio sauce - one of the best pasta dishes I have tried. The wine was good too - which always helps and chocolate grappa to finish the meal was well received!

1  Thank Supermac01
Reviewed 12 August 2011

Returning from yet another trip to Malcesine I was astonished to read the poor reviews of this restaurant. We have been going there for the last seven years and have never been disappointed in any way, never receiving poor value for money or poor service.

I fear that previous good reviews have attracted people whose expectations are higher than can be justified. This is not a high priced, high end, fine dining restaurant, but a very good typical Italian 'Ristorante' with prices similar to the tourist traps along the Lake shore, but with genuinely good food, mainly freshly prepared and always delicious. Whilst it is possible to spend over 100 euros on a meal for two with coffee, you would need to order four courses (Antipasto, prima, secondi, and dolci) to do so without wine. My wife and I ate there 6 times in a week and the average cost, including wines, coffees etc was 55 euros, similar to all other tourist hotels and restaurants for far less good food. To be fair, we usually share a sweet and an antipasto, but we certainly did not go hungry!

We were there on the night Lucy found a hair in her 'primo' but to be fair, it was a long blond hair (she is blond), whereas Arsene, his wife and daughter are all dark, and the three chefs all have virtual crew cuts. Arsene was upset by the accusation, and justifiably tried to point this out to the rather aggressive husband of Lucy who took it as a personal insult that he should do so. I feel that the restaurant did nothing wrong and gained a distinct impression that the husband was aggrieved because he was hoping for a reduction in his bill (i won't say it was a 'try-on' - but it looked like it to me).

Enough of the negative, Arsene and his team are proud of their restaurant and deservedly so. They do get upset by rudeness and insult to their food but this reflects the passion they have for their trade. That is not to say that if you don't like something you can't complain: quite the opposite, they will always try and put things right if you explain reasonably.

In conclusion, Al Gondeliere remains in our opinion the best overall restaurant in Malcesine, well worth a visit, but remember it is not fine dining just a very good restaurant.

Reviewed 11 August 2011

Nothing notable about this food, although the setting was delightful. What has prompted me to write is the arrogance and rudeness of the head waiter who took delight in embarrassing us, after I had found a hair in my meal!!!!! We should ahve walked out but have better manners than he obviously has! Never again.

4  Thank Lucy H
lupin1956, Direttore at Ristorante al Gondoliere, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2011

Dear Lucy,
now i have any time to replay to you, i'm so sorry, but in that time i couldn't immagine this problem in my restaurant, i assure to you that my chef cook has allways somthing in head and we don't have anybody with so long blonde hair in service, so therefore i was a little bit angry with you, but now i understand also your position and i'm graeatly dislike did rude, in any case if you will come back to malcesine, come by me and you can get a bottle wine by all the staff of restaurant, don't forget us because we wish all our guest enjoid. we hoffley that you understand us.Ciao with best regards Arsenio Bonomi.

Reviewed 31 July 2011

Having read the reviews and being recommended this by our hotel and tour guide we went here on our first night. It was very windy the night we went but we were still placed at the front of the balcony outside and spent a good bit of time trying to catch bread sticks as they flew off the table!! The service was average and we got the impression if you were not ordering at least 3 courses he wasn't terribly interested. The food was fine but we did have better for less money in the resort. The restaurant is used by Thomsons for some of their meetings so perhaps business is coming too easily.
Despite the strong wind and the threat of rain, which did eventually come, at no time did they offer to move us. Didn't go back to try again as there was plenty of others who gave better service, food and value.

1  Thank Livimember