“Lovely hotel location not ideal”
Review of Piccolo Hotel

Piccolo Hotel
Ranked #33 of 71 Hotels in Malcesine
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Visited this hotel in March 2014, walked to the hotel after getting off the bus in Malcesine and it took 40 minutes. The hotel is on a stretch of road were there are nothing else apart from the hotel. We walked into the village which was pleasant but in the evening took a taxi which cost 9 euros.

We stayed in suite 1 which was beautiful large living room and bedroom, bathroom with a spa bath and a walk in shower. The room was really clean and decoration was modern.

Family run hotel and at the time of our visit the only a few guests and the family were running the hotel, they were extremely attentive.

Even though I enjoyed our stay my only negative is the location, the town is a good walk which is fine during the day but at not really good at night following a meal in the village.

Room Tip: Suite1 lovely view of lake and a large balcony great spa bath
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 27 January 2014

We have been staying at the Piccolo Hotel for years and come back time and time again as they are so friendly and the hotel is comfortable and welcoming. If you want great views and a good location for the sailing centre this is the best!!

Room Tip: Make sure you have a lake view, the higher up you are the quieter it is.
Reviewed 30 September 2013 via mobile

The Piccolo Hotel is all I had hoped for. It is clean, well-furnished and modern inside, with great views of the lake, a good breakfast, plenty of parking spaces, and the staff are friendly and efficient. Absolutely no complaints (except that the shower door was a bit leaky, which is more of a problem for the hotel rather than for me!) and I would certainly return. We paid the little extra for a superior lake view room with 24-hour air conditioning, and I cannot recommend this highly enough. The view is amazing and it is so nice to sit out on the balcony at night listening to the lake and looking over to Limone. On this side of the hotel the balcony doors block out the majority of the traffic noise from the lake road whilst mysteriously still allowing in the sound of the lake lapping gently. Lovely! The hotel also has sun-loungers on the edge of the lake which may be used by guests.

Please note that the swimming pool is not heated, and in mid-September I could not bring myself to put more than a little toe into that cold water. One for the height of summer only I think :o)

We knew in advance about the 40-45 minute walk into Malcesine, so we were prepared, and we both found it very pleasant to walk along the flat, well-lit cycle path twice a day, on the edge of the lake. The path passes the landing area for the paragliders and we spent ages happily watching them. From the hotel you do have to cross the road, which is busy and fast, to get to the lake and the path, and I think that some people, particularly elderly people or those with young families, might prefer to be closer to the town. There is the option of the tourist bus, and we did use it a few times, but I suspect that it would become hopelessly packed in high season.

All in all, though, a great hotel and location and I hope to return in the future.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank skolithos
Reviewed 18 August 2013

We have just returned from a 7 night stay at the Piccolo, which we were recommended by friends. We were warmly welcomed by Maria, who, as per previous reviews, speaks excellent English and is ever helpful. We had booked a 'confort' room which has a balcony and wonderful views of the lake, I would imagine it had been recently refurbished as it was modern, stylish and spotless. (Excellently cleaned daily while we ate breakfast!) The room rate included A/C 'at the discretion of the management' which meant from about 5 p.m to 1 a.m. I was well aware of this in advance and could have chosen to pay the extra to have the A/C available all the time but chose to save the money (only regretted this a bit twice in the middle of very hot nights!!). We obtained a free Wifi code from reception, which should have only worked in the public rooms and restaurant balcony, but as we were right next door in room 9 worked just fine from our room!
The breakfast was good and was refilled as necessary as far as I could see ( we weren't particularly early!). We also ate dinner in the hotel on two occasions, as other people have mentioned this does have to booked earlier in the day, however the food was excellent and very good value at 15 euros for 3 courses. By the way drinks are also reasonably priced, in fact cheaper than most restaurants we ate out at when visiting other resorts. Cold drinks (both alcoholic and other) and coffees, teas also snacks (bruschetta, paninis etc.) are available throughout the day from the bar, perhaps this could have been mentioned at check in as we didn't realise this until about day 5! To be fair, we did travel about quite a bit, perhaps if we'd been hanging around the hotel more in the daytime it would have been obvious. We used the pool area (only one other couple there ... had other residents found it?) It is small but clean with good sunbeds and wonderful views of the lake. You can also sunbathe on hotel sunbeds down by the lake, yes it is across the road but only a very short distance. Also the hotel is 45 minutes walk from town, which is along a safe and scenic path, but again knew this in advance and was happy with it and when we were just too hot (or in my case lazy!) to do it , the hourly bus was fine! By the way if you're intending to take the cable car up to Monte Baldo, if you stay on the bus, after It stops in central Malcesine, one of the other stops is right outside the cable car entrance.
To summarise; Great time had, absolutely no complaints, would love to return!!

Room Tip: Go for 'Confort' room or above, to ensure wonderful views of lake and A/C.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FiJoRa
Reviewed 5 August 2013

I have been left somewhat confused by some of the reviews I have read about the hotel, particularly those which criticise the owners/management.

Maria, I believe the daughter of the owners, was one of the most helpful hoteliers I have ever dealt with. I was in touch with her before our stay via email during which she sent me pictures of the suite in which we would stay and the surrounding views. She also arranged our transfers.

Maria spoke very good English and was always on hand with directions/help with anything we needed. She printed bus timetables and price lists for theme parks off for us and even put us in touch with a reasonably priced boat hire company. Our poor Italian lead us to buy 12 litres of fizzy water instead of still water from a supermarket in Malcescine by mistake - Within half an hour Maria had changed the fizzy water for us! I really felt as though she had gone out of her way during our whole week’s stay. When I read the views about her being ignorant and rude I can only assume that these people have mistaken her with a different person!? When checking out we were overcharged. This was as much my error as the hotel’s as they had forgotten to deduct my deposit from the final amount. I hadn’t even touched down in England when I checked my emails…. One from Maria apologising for the mistake and refunding me immediately! Im sure some travellers would not have noticed, and some hotels would not have been so honest!

We forgot to pack our own beach towels and within 5 minutes of us arriving, a maid delivered two nicely laundered ones to our room. Whilst on the subject of the maids- they somehow managed to clean our room every day whilst we were at breakfast, thus not interrupting our sleep or entering our room while we were there. Luck, or good management!?

Our suite was large, clean and modern. The balcony was huge and had a great view of the lake. The swimming pool area was clean and quiet. The hotel have their own private beach right on the lake which was beautiful and clean and equipped with plenty of sun loungers.

There was always a good choice of fresh fruit, meats, cheeses, yoghurts and fresh juices and coffee for breakfast. We were never hungry!

The location is perfect, the most beautiful part of the lake in my opinion. Around a 20 minute walk to the centre of Malcesine which is fine is you enjoy walking. If not, there is a tourist bus which leaves from directly outside the hotel every hour and returns every hour too. It only takes around 10 minutes on this bus and 1euro to get into town.

The owners did not speak great English but to us this didn’t matter. We were staying in Italy for the culture! They were polite, helpful and hospitable.

All in all, the hotel was well positioned, clean, modern and the staff were extremely helpful and friendly. I would recommend this place in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: If you want air con, choose a room with one... dont moan about it afterwards!
1  Thank Ami R
Reviewed 28 July 2013

The rooms were clean. Owners couldn't speak English though. The main disappointment for us was that we had travelled all day and wanted to chill out in the hotel. We had checked in at 7pm and asked to have some dinner.. The owner told us (via the receptionist who translated), that we couldn't get any food in the hotel because we needed to book in around breakfast time?!
They would not help at all but gave us names of local restaurants within walking distance .
We walked to the local sailing club and this was fantastic! We would recommend eating here with great views over the lake.
Back to the hotel.. The pool would have been lovely but it wasn't cleaned within 4 days we were there, so it had floating bugs and flies. If you don't mind this..then all great.
Location is ok apart from having to cross a main road to get to the lake..or get to anywhere.
It's a budget hotel. What you pay for is what you get!

Room Tip: We stayed in a room over looking the lake. Yes we had the view.. But only when we stood up looking o...
1  Thank Lou W
Reviewed 11 July 2013

I recently spent an eight night stay at the Piccolo Hotel and was fully satisfied with my stay. We had a lakeside view room (which is recommended to ask for when booking) and the view was spectacular.
We were bed and breakfast and whilst the breakfast is unspectacular it serves a purpose and offers a decent variety.
The location of the hotel might put some people off as it is not in the centre of Malcesine and is a 45 minute walk, but this is a blessing in disguise. If you take the path via the lakeside to the town centre it provides great scenery and the amount of pizza and pasta you're going to eat, you'll need the exercise! There is also the option of the tourist bus which stops right outside the hotel and costs One Euro one way and runs hourly.
On previous reviews I noticed some people made remarks about the staff and was slightly concerned with this. However, during our stay I found the staff of the hotel to very warm and friendly and more than accomodating.
Anyone visiting Malcesine should seriously consider this hotel to stay in.

Room Tip: Ask for a lakeside view!