“say no to half board”
Review of Hotel Antonella

Hotel Antonella
Ranked #21 of 71 Hotels in Malcesine
Reviewed 16 September 2013

having stayed at this hotel about 6yrs ago and enjoyed the good position to both town and lake,also the cleanliness and the general ambiance of the hotel i returned earlier this month .im afraid the food which had been rather mediocre was really dire.bed and breakfast would have been fine as that was okay.the quality of the food lets this otherwise good hotel down.i think one of the owners sons has a really excellent resturant on the ground floor of the hotel which is well worth a visit.i just cannot understand why the owners cannot put together a decent meal at supper.i know you cant please all of the people all of the time .

Room Tip: rooms at front have a lovely view of lake but overllos busy road no air conditioning in rooms
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank gowanbank

Reviewed 12 September 2013

The Hotel is a family run Business, and this shows, some good points and some that need to improve, The Manager; the Mother's son, is a warm and Friendly guy who will try and meet all your needs, We were well looked after, Thanks. But the meals are basic in quality and taste, you do have a choice! Perhaps is us but we do like strong flavours
Our room, could do with some maintenance, TLC. some things where poorly maintained. the shower area had some sharp areas, plastic parts broken. Perhaps I expect too much I don't know. But on the whole we did enjoy it.
Things that they might need to improve, Beds (Hard), Shower (Modernise,fix), Meals (improve).
Also the hotel let other guests from other hotels share the pool area, which fine But not when they take over the whole thing, not space for normal hotel guests!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 913Rob
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Just returned from a week at this hotel and thought it was great. The room we stayed in (108) had a wonderful view of the lake, as well as another of the pool. The staff were very efficient, the room was always left very clean and tidy, the waiting staff were on the ball and Max is worth his weight in gold! The only downfalls are the lack of air-con and the poor main course at dinner, although the rest of the meal and breakfast was superb. There is a lot of road noise, but the view more than makes up for it. Thanks Max and co. for making my stay so enjoyable.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 September 2013

I completely agree with review made by Shawrie. We have been visiting Italy since 2000 and have always enjoyed excellent hospitality, food and service.
The hotel is situated on the very busy noisy road! No air conditioning! The breakfast was very mediocre, and the same every day. The worst part was the Coffee vending machine, no pot of delicious coffee as we have grown to love and expect in Italy. The dinners were sadly no better than hospital food, what do they think they are doing! The owner was most unapproachable, in fact quite rude. On arrival we were met by an elderly lady who snapped at us "English?" We did not feel welcome at all As the week progressed more and more guests were eating out even though they had paid half-board as we did the last couple of days, as the meals were getting steadily worse. All in all nothing good to say about the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank AngelSue2013
Reviewed 31 August 2013

We have just returned from a one week stay at this hotel.we were pleasantly surprised by the size of our bedroom. We had a lake view which was well worth it, despite the traffic noise. I would imagine the heat would be unbearable in mid July as there is no air con, fortunately our temperatures were in mid 20s so we managed to sleep with the door closed . The balconies are long and narrow but would benefit from a table to accompany the two chairs which were on our balcony. This is a three star hotel and we were pleased with it. We were half board and found the food was good , the salad starter was really good followed by 3 more courses as is the Italian style. I am a vegan and did struggle a bit to find a main course which I could eat. This wasn't really a problem for me as I filled up on the salads - really tasty choices available. On the whole we were happy with the food offered for both breakfast and dinner. We ate out two nights as we had booked things for those evenings and it suited us to be in town. Nice to eat out in Malcesine, there are some great retaurants with views to die for. The hotel is very clean and the staff were very helpful and pleasant. It was lovely to come back from a day out and be able to use the pool, one of the reasons I did not book a bed and breakfast hotel from the Crystal selection. The views from the pool area were amazing.
I would definitely go back as there are still places we did not see and things yet to be done in this beautiful setting.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Fii59
Reviewed 19 July 2013

We stayed for tree days in Hotel Antonella. We like location - 10 minutes by walk to the centre of beautiful historic city Malcesine (you can take promenade by lake shore). Rooms are small but comfy, we miss ACC and/or fridge to cool our water bottles. We were pleased by every day precise cleaning. I suggest to take room with beautiful lake view, you can also use some of hotel´s terraces. Breakfast was great with wide variety of good value hams, cheeses, pastry... We did not have dinners so I can´t rate it. We always went to Malcesine for dinner. Swimming pool is good with amazing view on Garda lake and mountains. Parking is little scary (in garage) but we were happy that our car stayed in cool dark place. We will definitely come back to this place and spend more time.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank KlaraVis
Reviewed 11 July 2013

I have to say I'm astonished that very few visitors to this hotel have commented on the rudeness of the owner.....her husband was pleasant enough, her son Max just lovely but she really should be kept well away from 'front of house'....... We were travelling as part of a large group so talked regularly about our experiences whilst in this stunningly beautiful part of the world... We all found this woman to be a disgrace and she badly let down the efforts of her son.... During our ten day stay, she didn't smile once or show any acknowledgement to her guests. On our last day our pick up was delayed by two hours, we asked if we could leave our cases in the restaurant below rather than cart them back upstairs , she threw her arms up in disgust... Obviously out out that she was having to actually do something for her guests and was taken away from the tea and cakes she was enjoying in reception.. Our group were delayed in the hotel for nine hours, at no point were we even offered a glass if water...... And unlike the other guests who had a card and complimentary wine on their birthdays, Max wished me a happy birthday on my way through reception which was kind of him... It was my 50th.... She however didn't speak... No wine or card for me!.... Not that I expected it.... Far from it, it just seemed strange there isn't a hotel policy on this kind of thing?..... Moving onto the food...... I genuinely have been served far better food in hospital... And I've been in hospital quite a lot! We didn't have a single Italian meal during our stay ... Not even a sniff of pasta which we all found totally bizarre..... The soup was good but that's it.... A typical meal in this hotel would be a small pork chop with boiled potatoes and cabbage.... I kid you not! On another night, very dry chicken.... Like it had been firstly over cooked then placed under a heat lamp for a few hours.... This served with roast potatoes and cabbage.... The most boring,tasteless, uninspired food I've had for a very... Very long time..... And I'm really not a fussy eater.....They like pork in this hotel! It was on the menu every day.... Roast, boiled,grilled.....pork! Our room was small and very basic, nothing like those in the hotel pictures but it was a twin, to fit both beds in they had to be pushed together, we only had one blanket between us and on arrival one pillow each which resembled a sandbag..... The roof terrace had only plastic chairs, no swing seat, parasols etc. in fact we didn't even know it was there until our last day which was a shame as our room was on the side of the hotel...if you stay here and can't get a room at the front , ask for one at the back as many have balconies, we didn't have this luxury and there is no air conditioning in the bedrooms so very hot in season.. On a positive note the waitresses (polish) were pleasant despite being very limited in English , the hotel was extremely clean as we're the outside areas. But the saddest thing is the fact that the restaurant below where the owners son is the chef, serves fantastic Italian food! About 30 of us ate there on our last day (unfortunately we had gone half board which I don't recommend!!). We all found the food excellent! What a shame that the son doesn't also cook for the hotel..... Made no sense to us...... My recommendation to this family run hotel is let Max run the show, he is great and seems to actually be glad that guests choose to stay there.... And get Max's brother upstairs as the restaurant chef..... If that happened, it would be a drastic improvement.....

Room Tip: Balconies at front and back only, we had a side room, no air conditioning and only a small window th...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends