“lovely hotel shame about the weather”
Review of Hotel Augusta

and 1 more site!
Hotel Augusta
Ranked #32 of 71 Hotels in Malcesine
Reviewed 7 September 2012

Stayed for a week at the end of August and we were very happy with this hotel.
Our room was a bit dated but spotlessly clean and our linen changed every day. The public areas were modern and also spotless.We received a warm welcome and nothing was too much trouble for the staff.The garden and pool area were lovely, but unfortunately we were only in the garden area once due to the somewhat wet and windy weather.
Breakfast was a well stocked buffet, and it was nice to be able to sit on the terrace to eat.
The Augusta is well positioned for walking into the town centre, and Malcesine itself has many bars and restaurants-we never had a disappointing meal. All in all a good holiday despite the weather, and we would definitely recommend the Augusta.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Isobel L

Reviewed 25 August 2012

We only stayed for a couple of nights, but in one of the superior rooms in the Villa. Although this has (more) stairs to climb, which I was disappointed about as I have arthritis - it was certainly worth the climb for one of the most wonderful views I have ever seen in my life!

Our room - as I believe all rooms in the Villa did - looked straight at the castle and one could view the lake each end as far as the eye could see - and the old town, of course. Beautiful!

It was very hot whilst we were there and I took advantage of the excellent outdoor pool, which I had to myself for much of the time I used it - due to the many sun-worshippers merely lying on the plentiful sun loungers surrounding the pool and lovely gardens.

Super facilities and pool showers - indoor and out. Very well kept beautiful gardens. All very thoughtfully planned, I think.

Staff usually quite busy - but always willing to help and friendly. Very language proficient.

Would've been nice to have facilities to eat more than only snacks/sandwiches/ice-creams/drinks - maybe a few small simple meals on the menu would be nice, even if only available at certain times?

Very, very clean everywhere.

The only tiny things were - as I mentioned - the stairs up to the villa rooms, which - although not that many - possibly 20ish (?) - were a bit of a struggle for me, especially once you had walked the steep path from the town, then climbed the half dozen stairs to the reception patio ... then the half dozen or so shallow steps to the villa area ... (phew! In the hot weather!)! But - also as I said ... usually quickly forgotten once you take in your balcony view! :)

The lamp by the desk mirror was not working - so it was a little difficult to sit and use the mirror there. Though, I must admit, I didn't mention this to the staff as I think it was a very minor thing and didn't want them to think I wasn't happy.

The air-conditioning is only on (when you've paid for it) from 18:30 to 6:30 only ... though sometimes a helpful breeze across the lake helps. But at night you will need to keep patio windows closed because of mosquitoes, etc. The noise of the aircon didn't bother me and I was grateful for the relief from the heat - but my husband insisted on switching it off after only a couple of hours on the second night, as it kept him awake :(

Overall and, I believe, compared to others similar in the area ... very, very good value for money! Would definitely go there again (if my husband agrees to have the aircon on?! ;)

P.S. LOVE Bongo the cat! :D x

Room Tip: Worth the extra for a lake view!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 August 2012

We were absolutely delighted to discover this beautiful hotel on our first ever visit to Lake Garda. The owners are so welcoming, the rooms and public areas spotlessly clean, and the hotel cat, Bongo, a delight!

Like most hotels in the area, the Augusta is not cheap, but represents superb value in comparison to others we looked at. Our superior room had the most spectacular views over Lake Garda, with the beautiful old town in the foreground. Only 300-400 metres from the centre and the lake, this is a perfect place to stay. The room was more a junior suite, well equipped, with beautuful bathroom, plenty of storage, large sitting area and beautiful balcony. And it was very, very clean and well furnished.

Don't be fooled by its 3 star rating, this is more of a four star hotel with fantastic facilities. We were only there for two nights, but the owners kindly encouraged us to use the hotel facilities - gardens, pools, showers, car park - all day until we travelled to our Austrian home in the evening. They asked if we would be back - most certainly, we cant' wait! Thank you, Grazi, Dankeschon - a wonderful hotel.

Room Tip: The superior rooms in the Annex have fantastic views - insist on a lake view. It is superb.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 August 2012

I stayed at the Augusta for one week in August.
I agree with everything that reviewer seemore187069 says but would like to add that if you like your shower with hot water then dont expect to get any. Our water was only ever warm, despite our telling the owner and being promised that he would fix it.
It does have a lovely indoors pool and jacuzzi.
We found that most days sunbeds around the pool were 'booked' in the morning but not used until later in the afternoon. we did remark about this as we were looking for beds to use and were told that there was nothing he could do about it.
Most of the guests when we were there were Germans so maybe that explains it!!!
A good base for exploring the town.
I agree with the comments about early departures and having to hump heavy cases down two flights of stairs in the early morning. Not so easy if you are not muscleman!
As for letting yourself out , we thought this was a bit off. Surely someone from the staff could have been there to see us out.
Not even an option to have something for the breakfast that we had paid for.
Bread. hard boiled eggs,cold meat and bottles of water could have been left for departing guests- after all it was paid for!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank tinkerbel1l66
Reviewed 15 August 2012

We stayed in Hotel Augusta for our daughters wedding. We booked 3 superior rooms for us & family in the villa. All rooms had a small fridge, hair dryer & for a daily charge wifi internet access & airconditioning (from 18:30 to 6:30 only) & the most beautiful view of the balconies overlooking the lake & the castle.
The hotel is in a convenient location to the town centre.
The cable car station is directly opposite the hotel entrance.
The pool area is set in lovely gardens & the jacuzzi (indoors with glass doors wide open to the gardens) is fabulous.
The rooms are cleaned spotlessly & towels changed daily.
Breakfat is from 8am till 10am and serves the ususal continental breakfast (no fry-up), which was fine for us. The coffe machine is great, anything you want from hot water to cappuccino.
A truly lovely hotel. I have read other reviews regarding the cost of the hotel & airconditioning, but for such a location and hotel we were quite happy to pay.
I rather pay a little extra to have to have a fantastic holiday!
I hope that we will visit Malcesine again & I hope to stay at the Augusta again.

Room Tip: Stay in superior rooms in the villa with lake views!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Schubby
Reviewed 12 August 2012

On the plus side, this hotel is well looked after, the swimming pool and garden are good, as is the breakfast. It is very convenient for Malcesine. However there is not an air of generosity about the hotel, you are charged for air conditioning at 6 euros a night, the safe is charged for and also the wifi (although there is a computer in the public rooms that you can use free if you don't want privacy). You are also asked to sort your rubbish for recycling and put it into the dustbins at the front of the hotel.

The hotel is situated on a very busy road and if you have a mountain view room you overlook both the road and other people's apartments. The air conditioning is only on from 6.30pm - 6.30am and in high summer once that goes off the rooms get very hot, we didn't want to open the windows because of the noise from traffic, hence not a lot of sleep. We had paid extra for a balcony but didn't use it because it was not a pleasant place to sit it you like peace and quiet. I think that the hotel is probably nicer out of season.

We had booked with Thomsons and had to leave for the airport at 6.35am, the hotel did not provide any breakfast on that day, we were told to let ourselves out. Worst of all they switch the lift off at night and we had to carry our luggage down from the second floor. Other people on our coach had either had breakfast in their hotel, or been provided with a packed lunch.

Malcesine is a wonderful place to explore, a trip up Monte Baldo is recommended - you can spend a good day walking up there, we saw lots of birds and wildlife. Buying a dual ticket for the castle and the cable-car saves you 5 euros. The castle has a really good natural history exhibition, fabulous views and is a great place to explore. Pick up a welcome card from your hotel and you can also get discounts on the boats. I would also recommend going up the clock tower in Riva, the views are well worth the climb and the 1 euro entry. Food can be expensive in the restaurants but many of the cafes serve pizza and snacks at reasonable prices.

Service buses around the lake are cheap and fairly frequent from Malcesine, although they can be a bit slow in high season because of the traffic. A trip to Verona took 2 hours, but it's well worth it and you do get to see things on the way. There are lots of agencies in Malcesine offering organised trips, the prices seem to be the same at all of them. We went to Venice, and thought that it was good value for money.

We had a good holiday, but I would not recommend the Augusta in high season if you enjoy a peaceful place to relax when you get back from sight-seeing.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the castle are probably quieter.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 July 2012

Hotel Augusta is the great place to stay for a weekend getaway. I cannot imagine a better location in Malcesine. Lake-facing rooms offer balconies with stunning panoramic views of the pool, garden, CASTLE, old town, water and sun-kissed mountains. Hotel grounds are located opposite both the cable car station (for majestic Monte Baldo) and a small pizzeria (delicious snack day or night). Also within a 5-minute walking distance is a mini golf course, a small SPAR market, a pharmacy and the lovely historic centre of Malcesine (w. restaurants, cafes, leather & shoe shops, etc.). The hotel remains, nevertheless, peaceful and quiet. Hotel provides private parking in a lot secured over night. The pool(s) (outdoor and semi indoor) and grounds are very well kept, clean and charming. The staff is very friendly and was more than happy to give directions or recommendations (in German or English). While the decor may be slightly dated, our room was immaculately clean and very spacious. The breakfast buffet was standard but the meals were enjoyed on the patio overlooking the pool. Hotel Augusta has the charm missing in larger establishments. Hotel Augusta is a hidden gem worth discovering!!!!

Small problem: WiFi and air conditioning available at a small extra daily charge.

Room Tip: Lake-facing rooms are the ones worth booking.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple