“Perfect location but water too cold for swimming.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Beach Hotel Du Lac

Beach Hotel Du Lac
Ranked #17 of 70 Hotels in Malcesine
Harpenden, United Kingdom
“Perfect location but water too cold for swimming.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

This lakeside hotel is in the perfect location. It's just a ten-minute stroll along the lake to Malcesine (pronounced 'Mal-ches-enay') with its enchanting medieval castle and winding, cobbled streets. And you can eat your breakfast and dinner sitting on the terrace of the hotel restaurant, while enjoying the most spectacular view of Lake Garda and the town.

The staff (including the extremely helpful and friendly hotel owner) were great. One day at breakfast, we happened to mention it was our wedding anniversary that day and our waitress gave us a hug and a kiss, followed by a glass of Prosecco each! That evening there happened to be a gala dinner and we came down to find our table had been decorated with a heart of flower petals & we were given all sorts of treats, including a card signed by all the staff as well as more champagne!

Our only real complaint was that the water in the lake, and the hotel pool, was too cold to swim in while we were there, as there'd been some thunder storms at night. But there's no shortage of things to do there - cycling, kayaking, walking, boat trips etc.

We stayed here at the end of August & we'd definitely recommend it but perhaps it's best to avoid that time of year, as it's the peak of the wedding season and the town is swamped by wedding parties.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Vocky2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013

We really enjoyed our stay here in September . It's a great location a nice 15 min stroll into the centre of malcesine . Really loved the view from the restaurant area every morning and there was a great deal if u ate in the hotel At night 13 euro for a 5 course meal . We like to eat out though in different places . Did a great day trip to Venice and it's a great location to stay if you want to travel Round the northern part of Italy

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank Choppy66
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

We stayed at Hotel Du Lac in May for our Wedding in the Castle in Malcesine (I must also mention Pam from "Romantic Weddings on Lake Garda" who was absolutely amazing and organised the most fabulous wedding for us as well as Francesco who took such stunning photo's. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!) Back to the review, we stayed in the Honeymoon Suite on the top floor which is a room on the roof on it's own and whilst it is a lovely room with a lovely location, it was probably our 5th choice for the same price after we found all similar rooms booked up a year in advance. Our family stayed at the Hotel Capri and I have to say I honestly felt much more welcome at that hotel, the staff seemed genuinely interested in chatting to us and engaging with us and I found that I wanted to spend more of my time there as the week went on. Du Lac does have a beautiful view across the lake and it is a nice place to sit and eat breakfast, however I noted that on odd days we were requested to pay an extra 3 Euros if we wanted eggs which were there the previous day for free. I did begin to get jealous of my family telling me about the Hotel Capri buffet by the end of the week.

We never ate an evening meal at the hotel, there are so many stunning restaurants in the town - we were given a bottle of wine to take home one night and a crate of wine to share amongst the group another night with a luxury gold bottle for ourselves - we were amazed at the generosity of the local people and will certainly make a point of revisiting those places when we go back.

Whilst we have recently had an amazing honeymoon with the hotels we stayed in sending little things to our room and making our stay that little bit more special, Hotel Du Lac never actually gave us anything to send their good wishes as a gesture throughout the whole week we stayed and my fiance had to purchase a couple of drinks on her wedding day to share with her bridesmaids. I found this disappointing as we spent a lot of money on the room and even a small gesture on her wedding day would have been good of them.

I would not stay here again as I didn't really feel totally welcome, I would definitely opt for Hotel Capri as an alternative, they treated me like I was one of their guests whilst I was there on my wedding day and were really lovely people.

Room Tip: If you are going to get a room here, the Honeymoom Suite is lovely and overlooks the lake and is not...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013

I rarely comment on hotel stays, but this was such a great experience that I felt I wanted to commend such great staff and service.
The hotel is lovely and in a perfect location on the lake. The staff are so friendly and welcoming and, unlike other reviewers, we saw no favouritism towards other nations. Everyone was treated the same and it made a big difference to have such friendly staff service every day.
Clean and lovely rooms with great balconies if you don't go for the cheaper pool side views- make sure you pay the extra and get the lovely lake views.
Gorgeous walk into Malcesina and a great little outdoor patio to enjoy a cool drink during the day or evening.
Could not fault the hotel or the staff- wonderful place.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank WellheeledScotland
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013

Just back after 2 weeks half board at the Hotel Du Lac, having booked with a well known British Tour Company and paying over 2.5K for the Holiday.
First off the setting and location are Stunning, the Staff are excellent and the hotel is the cleanest hotel I have ever stayed in, the Food was also Very Good (we ate in 10 nights out of our booked 14 it was so good ) The pool area was also very clean and well tended and I must also say, never busy.
Sorry but that's all the Good bits, my wife and I felt we were treated as the "Brits on a Package Holiday", so don't bother with them ! The first problem was our room, we were advised that it would have a Pool View and not a lake view, which was fair enough but as you can see from our photos, we had a very restricted view of the CAR PARK ! Our Brochure also stated that the Hotel did not accept bookings for Children. This was one of the main reasons we booked it as our "Children" are all grown up now and we Don't want to Holiday with other Peoples Children, that said we counted 24 Children with ages of 5 months to 14 years staying at the Hotel over the 2 weeks we were there (It would seem the Hotel do not object if the Kids are German ! )
Then there were the Dogs, yes, DOGS ! you may not believe me but I actually like Dogs.............But not when I'm eating, Not in the Restaurant , Not Barking, Growling and even on one occasion, BEING SICK ! Needless to say all of the Dogs belonged to Germans, I complained to the Manager, especially when the Collie Dog Vomited in the Restaurant, only to be told with a Shrug of his Shoulders that the Dog was ill ! ! ! ! , Personally I Blame the owners and the Hotel Management, Not the Dogs in Question. we really did not appreciate the company of the Dogs or Noisy, Badly behaved Children at Breakfast and Dinner................so be aware, they will be there even if your Brochure makes no reference to them.
The final straw was that the room we had was advertised as having Satellite TV, Well it did, there were 8 Italian Channels (No surprise there as we were in Italy) but there were also 7 German Channels, the only "English" Speaking Channel was CNN News, and we all know how irritating that can be after Ten Mins ! Now I couldn't really understand this, as the "HUGE" TV in the Restaurant when it was switched on actually had SKY News showing on it (to be fair the volume was turned off but it was SKY News ! )..........so again I approached the Management and asked it there were any "English Speaking" TV Channels on the TV in my Room, only to be told "NO" when I asked if the SKY News , (which was on the TV at the point I was speaking to the management on the subject) could be viewed in my room, I was also told "NO" and the manager then walked away from me and ignored me for the rest of the Holiday.
Well, that's my Rant over, I'm taking up my Complaint with Thomson. The only other thing I will say though is that all of the other previous Comments about the Seating Pecking Order in the Restaurant on an evening are So So True, the Arrogance of the Management and the ANTI British undertone my wife and I felt for the whole 2 weeks have left us both feeling totally Fed up and mislead by Our Holiday Company. I have still marked this Hotel as Very Good, purely due to it's Location, cleanliness, Great Staff and Good Food, Shame about the Management and their attitude and discrimination !

Room Tip: Pay the extra Money and get a Lake View Room, you are then also entitled to a better seat in the Res...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank DaveandShaz
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2013

The Hotel du Lac is a pleasant well run hotel right on the side of Lake Garda about a 5 to 10 minute walk from Malcesine. The dinning room where the continental breakfast and dinner is served looks over the lakes a has a lovely view of the castle. I would recommend rooms on the lake side for which there is an understandable premium, not only are the views better but the other side of the hotel faces the main lake road and may be noisy, certainly the pool and gardens, whilst attractive are nothing to grandeur of the lake and hills on the lake side. You can choose if you want to take the half board on a daily basis after seeing the menu, which is great, on nights we liked what was on offer we eat in the hotel and when didn't we could eat in one of Malcesine many excellent restaurants.

Room Tip: Always pay for the lake view.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank CD
North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013

Regular visitor to Lake Garda and Malcesine provides an impresive vista of lake, mountains, architecture and sunsets. Du Lac is ideally situated on the lake and provides an impressive backdrop to a relaxing holiday.

Easy access by car and adequate parking. Great views from room balcony and restaurant terrace. Rooms are modern and efficient, though the beds a little hard for my taste. Unless you are anticipating a 'full english' on a daily basis, the breakfast is more than adequate and the one occasion we dined on an evening, the food was both good and exceptional value. Drinks are reasonably priced also and the terrace bar is an ideal spot for a night cap.

Given temperatures in the mid 90's, the hotel is a 20 min (enjoyable) stroll to the centre and ideally placed to explore the north end of the lake. Exclusive jetty makes a lake swim ideal and we enjoyed the kayak (small charge). The pool at the rear of the hotel provides an alternative haven, especially if the lake is windy (quite typical) first thing.

A final thanks to the warm welcome we received from all the staff and a special mention for the attention we received on the day of a family birthday. More than happy to recommend a stay.

Room Tip: Most rooms have lake view but make sure you have one
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple