“A pleasant stay in beautiful Hotel Catullo in Malcesine.”
Review of Hotel Catullo

Hotel Catullo
Ranked #27 of 71 Hotels in Malcesine
Reviewed 12 July 2011

I had been visiting hotel Catullo before, and this time I decided to bring 22 persons from our company, to join my good experiences from my earlier stay.
We came all the way from Norway, and had a long journey, before we reached Hotel Catullo on Friday evening 27 of may. I was of cause excited to hear what my colleges though about the hotel, and that one went out happy!
They all liked the hotel, and thought that the hotel where nice, clean, quiet, and only a few steps from the Centrum of Malcesine. The swimming pool in the garden gave some of us a nice refreshing break from the sun.
One our way back home Monday, I could hear many of my colleges talking about coming back to the beautiful hotel, and the lovely city of Malcesine. I`m pretty sure that they will.
One of us had an accident with the shower, so that some water came out in his room. Water went down thru the floor, and came out the sealing in the bar, that was just underneath this room. Electricity in the 1 floor broke down for a shorter time, because of this, and that was no good. Anyway, it was our fault, and you Maurizio stayed calm as always, and took control of the situation. I`m sure we made some trouble fore you when that happened, but as you told me, “things can go wrong from time to time, don’t think about it any more”
Thank`s to the host family Maurizio and Antonella for great service, and for making a pleasant stay for all of us!
I am sure I will be back next year, and some of my colleges also.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank RonnyMalcesine

Reviewed 11 July 2011

Great hotel, just a short walk from Malzesine centrum, beautiful pool and garden, peaceful and relaxing. Kristina and Arto from Finland

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kristina v
Reviewed 26 June 2011

We stayed here for 4 nights in June, having read the reviews on here I was a little concerned but was pleasantly surprised.

The hotel is set slightly back from the busy main road so is quieter than some others, the pool was large with plenty of beds around, pretty well kept gardens surrounding the hotel, rooms were very basic...akin to an Ibis hotel room and the double room we booked was actually a twin however it was spotlessly clean, as was the bathroom and the balcony. The hotel breakfast is pretty good too as long as you get down there before 9am otherwise there was nothing left.

Really had no complaints other than the room being basic.

• Stayed: June 2011
1  Thank hostie1085
Reviewed 15 October 2010

I travelled to Malcesine for a friends wedding earlier this year (along with Jobo 1881 - review below) to celebrate a friends wedding. We decided to stay at the Hotel Catullo as the bride and groom were staying there and it was also one of only a few hotels in the town with a pool. Upon arrival we were told that our booking "had been lost", unsurprisingly, the paid deposit remained very much found. The manager, however, informed us that he had arranged for us to stay at a nearby hotel and that the stay would be complimentary. Lovely we thought. He even said we could use the pool and still have breakfast. Even better. Imagine my surprise then, when at midnight the day before we are due to come home, there is a note pinned to our door telling us to go to the Hotel Catullo to pay the bill before we catch the trasfer bus to the airport. The next day we went to see the manager who insisted that he hadnt told us he would pay for our stay. After a VERY long discussion he eventually just turned his back on us....literally!! He wouldn't tell us what time the transfer bus was arriving so we had to wait at the bus depot and hope for the best! I have travelled around the world and visited Italy a number of times before but I have honestly never met anyone in the service industry quite so rude, arrogant and unhelpful in all my life! He also made other members of the group that did stay there unwelcome and also uncomfortable at times, telling one that he would never let a british wedding party stay there again!! The owner of the other hotel was so welcoming, we wished we had booked there from the start. Please do not give this man your money!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank AliWatford
Reviewed 27 September 2010

Friendly Husband and Wife owners, very helpful. We booked through Venere .com and had no problems at all. The room was on the first floor with a view of the town and mountains but not the lake. We came and went as we pleased with access 24 hours a day using a swipe card. The room and bathroom was clean and comfortable. The breakfast was self service and yes if you arrived late things ran out, however if we asked for more we got it no problem. The swimming pool and Gymn were clean and in good condition, the water was a bit chilly but that didnt stop us swimming. We had no complaints at all. We treated the owners with respect and friendliness and got the same treatment back. My wife went paragliding off Mount Baldo with a hunky German instructor called Peter and that was amazing.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 September 2010

We booked flights and hotels back in March and April hoping to reserve nice rooms for a special 60th birthday holiday in September. When we arrived at the Catullo the lady owner told us our room was not ready, which we expected as it was 11:30 a.m. and we just wanted to leave our suitcases and go for a walk. We returned later that afternoon to be told by the owner that, yes, we had a reservation from Sunday but we could not have the room until Tuesday and would have to go to another hotel down the road. We felt we did not have much choice as we had paid 150 euros deposit and would probably lose this if we left and found another hotel. The hotel he took us to was right on the busy main Gardesana road so we opted for a room on the back. However,although a basic "no frills" garni it was spotlessly clean, modern and with a new ensuite shower room so we stayed. After a whole day out on Tuesday we returned to the Catullo only to be told that, actually, we still could not have the room we had booked but that we could have another room at a discount. This room turned out to be a single room with one single bed and a put-you-up bed for the second person. This hard "bed" did not have a head board, bedside table or bedside lamp and there was not room for them. One bed had a bedspread only and the other had a blanket only over the sheets. The price we paid for this room was lower than for the booked room but we were hoping for a comfortable double room for which we would pay the going rate. A couple larger than us would have had difficulty passing each other in the room and getting in and out of the bathroom.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank coupleofwalkers
Reviewed 23 August 2010

Found the Catullo to be be an excellent place to stay. Owners were extremely friendly and helpful and always enquired about our day. All areas of the hotel were very clean and the gardens full of olive trees. Our room had a castle/lake view but Iappreciate that this is not the case for all rooms. Breakfasts were always very good with cereals, fruit, bread, cheeses, meats and always wonderful tomatoes. There was even bacon and egg - ok they were not British breakfasts but surely one of the pleasures of going to Italy is to eat different food. Yes it is a quiet hotel but that made it an excellent place to relax after a long day or to have a pre dinner drink overlooking the garden. Surprised to see that some reviewers commented on traffic noise as the hotel is on a relatively quite side street with occasional buses going to and from other hotels or the cable car station. The main town is only a short walk away - there is an underpass but the main road is not a problem to cross anyway. There is an incline coming back but both my wife and I found this to be no problem. Anyway Malcesine is full of small streets that go up and down and this is one of the things that makes it such an attractive place to stay. I would have no hesitation in recommending the Catullo to my friends.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple