“Uncomfortable, boring time share”

Club Residence Pianetamaratea
Reviewed 29 June 2010

This place was not hospitable since we checked in and were placed in a two bedroom without any view. We then moved to a one bedroom that hadn't been cleaned. The staff was quite rude to us whenever we went in the office for information. The facility lacks any enjoyable activities, except for the pool. The restaurant had nice servers and good food. We will not be coming here again and not recommending this location to anyone! The city of Maratea has nothing to do, and we didn't know until the middle of our stay that the city locked it's gate at midnight. So, don't get locked out at 12:30 a.m. like we did! It is so far it takes about 6 hours to get to Rome or any big cities.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Matthew73LB

Reviewed 30 May 2010

Our first impression of the timeshare was that it hadn't been updated since it was built--in probably the 60's. The furnishings are old and worn looking, and there's minimal decoration in the rooms (one small, faded picture hung on the large wall in the living room). They give you a plastic bag with the sheets and towels, and another bag with rag and mop head; the brooms, dust pan and mop are prominently displayed in the bathroom (not a nice first impression when you walk into the timeshare...but you get the message--you're cleaning your own room, honey!). It was rainy and a bit chilly while we were there and there was a tiny, ineffective wall heater in the bedroom that didn't even heat the bedroom. The stove is gas, and you have to light it yourself...with matches you must purchase from their store. The unit does not have shampoo, hair dryer, kitchen soap or sponge, microwave, or laundry facilities. The front desk staff speaks minimal English. We found out after we were there a day or so that they have activities--no information was given about activities at the resort when we checked in, other than the schedule for the shuttle bus to the beach. The property has a very nice view down the beautiful coastline, and the units have verandas that face the view...which they obscure with large trees that are planted in front of all the units! Getting there is a challenge--it's located above the town of Maratea, and signage is great on the road--until you get into town and then there are no signs and there's no way you can find it on your own, so you either need to call the resort or stop and ask "Dove Pianeta Maratea?" and hope the gestures will get you there (fortunately Italians talk with their hands). They do not have internet available; there's an internet cafe in Maratea, about a 10-minute drive away. Dinner in the restaurant is excellent; breakfast choices are limited---they only offer croissants and coffee/cappuccino. There are a couple of nice towns to explore locally--Fumicello, Acquafredda and Rivello--and Maratea's worth an afternoon, but unless you want to lay by the pool or on the beach and the weather cooperates, there's not a week's worth of stuff to do there. We left after 3 days.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Catherine_of_Fallbrk
Reviewed 27 May 2010

In my over 20 yrs. of exchanging timeshares, this is absolutely the worse one I've ever seen!!!! It is totally outdated in every respect. The only good service there is the travel agency, they were very accomodating; however, the reception area is not. It was cold while we were there and there was no heat in the unit and we called twice for extra blankets and finally had to go to reception to get them. The beds and all furnishings must be from the 70s! There is no microwave or oven and only a 4 burner gas stove top to cook on and you have to light the burners with matches, which were not even provided!!! The place smells moldy and it is. There was a very limited amount of hot water so we had to take hurried showers so not to run out of hot water for 3 people. The restaurant on site is nice but the food was mediocre at best. The grocery store on site is fairly well stocked. I can't imagine why RCI even has this in their directory!?!?!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
3  Thank Liza426
Reviewed 12 February 2010

My wife, my parents, and I vacationed here with my parents and had a wonderful stay. Note that the resort is in the S. Caterina area of Maratea (there are several areas that comprise Maratea). On the whole the staff spoke very little English, but was fairly patient and understanding with our limited Italian language skills. The restaurant had good food with attentive service, especially our waiter Peter from Belgium who was exceedingly patient with my parents (and that's saying something). The nice little grocery on-site was sufficient for the basics, the pool was wonderful, and nearly every night there was live entertainment provided by the staff, with more-extravagant-than-you'd-expect shows. Some nights also featured live music in the bar. We had housekeeping come through once during the week, the rest of the time it was DIY as if you were at home. The unit was comfortable and airy, with full-length shuttered doors and operable transoms above that let in the wonderful breezes from the nearby sea. Each unit also has a small patio in the front, great for sitting out with some wine and nibbles, enjoying the breathtaking views and watching the world go by. Attractions we took advantage of were the S. Biaggi basilica (up the mountain from the resort), Maratea's centro storico which is very charming (with a wonderful trattoria "La Torre" in the piazza - great food and atmosphere!), and the other areas of Maratea where were also very pretty and pleasant to visit. (We also found a small travel agency in centro storico Maratea that has 2 desktop computers for hire so you can check your email, if you must.) Also, a bus runs from the resort down to the Spiaggia Nera, a small secluded beach down the mountain from the resort. Best day at the beach I've ever had! All in all, we had a fantastic stay and hope to return sometime in the future.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank sctrbrn
Reviewed 19 July 2009

Getting to the residence by car was not difficult, however the road in the mountains is very curvy and the residence is about two kilometers away from the small city of Maratea. The view from the residence is spectacular - to the sea.

We arrived in the residence in afternoon and the first contact with the personnel was very good. There was a welcoming comittee who offered us drinks while queueing to the reception. In the reception there seemed to be two kind of customers - Italians and non-Italians and the service was unfortunately according to that. The service for the Italians was great and for the the non-Italians not so great.

First outlook/impression in many cases tells a lot. And that is true also in this case. The residence area including the appartments, restaurants and pool areas looked old.

So we walked in to our appartment - and even our expectations were not very high (thanks to the earlier reviews in the tripadvisor) we were disappointed. The floors were slimy, kitchenette was dirty (of severals years old dirt) and when we went bed we got the feeling that we were not the only living things in the bed. Colours, furnitures, tv and structural things (i.e.layout, ventilation, heating) in the appartment were from the 1980s or 1970s.

First night we were a little bit tired after driving from Naples and decided to check the restaurant in the recidence area. The service was the same as above and the quality of the food was not what you would expect in a nice restaurant in Italy. We did not utilize the services of that restaurant anymore.

The first morning we went to the pool area. Our kids (3 and 6 years) just loved it. There was a group of young staff members running different shows, excercises (in water) and games through the whole day. Those people were really good, positive and they made us feel like holiday. The view from the pool area was also very impressive. So our overall experiences of the pool area was very positive.

Also they had shows every night for the kids and families where kids could join the play / show if they wanted.

So after spending four days (instead of planned seven days) in the residence we decided to leave. My only question is that what happened to a holiday resort that used to get (1988-1998) RCI awards? In Finland they would have renovated the place ten years ago and people around the world would still love Pianeta Maratea. Another question is that why is RCI still having this place in their holiday resort list - the quality of the place is not worth it.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank Jossu1
Reviewed 10 October 2008

I have heard some awful reviews about the Timeshare Pianeta maratea which I definitely disagree. The unit was large and very clean. You did have to make your own beds but after staying in several hotels in France and Italy which were very confining I did't mind the small inconvenience at all. The staff were all very pleasant and the restaurant was delicious. The view was absolutely breathtaking from our room and my sister & I were pleasantly pleased after expecting the worse. The town of Maratea was very quaint, clean & beautiful! A taxi to town for 5 euro was well worth it. The coast of Maratea is something to see as is the large figure of Christ on top of the hill. There is a train station in Maratea and is only 2 hrs. south of Naples. I would recommend this hotel (not real fancy, but nice)

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 3 September 2008

After reading the reviews on this resort I was a little bit hesitant to go there but I am really glad that I didn't listen to the reviews, people like to exaggerate. I agree, it is not the Taj Mahal but it is a European place that is clean and comfortable it gives you the feel for Italy. The view from our room was breath taking then when the clouds came it felt like we were standing in them. Wow what a feeling! To listen to all the Italian patrons I felt like I was part of the culture.

On our arrival, the beds were not made but the linen was in the room in a sealed wrapper fresh from the laundry service, which I appreciated since I knew they were clean so I had to make my bed wow and I am still alive people at least I know no one else slept in them. After reading the reviews, I actually had brought a set of sheets just in case but I am glad to say that I never had to use them. The staff was very nice but did not speak much English or French but I brought my translation book and got bye without a hitch. The restaurant served great meals and wine. The waiters were very nice and the service was efficient. However the evening shows were all in Italian especially that we were there during an Italian festival. Besides another couple we were the only people to speak English. The kitchen is a little under stock but none the less nothing to complain about.

I really like the fact that this place was accessible to all the little fishing village in the surrounding area and there were a lot of deserted beaches. The town of Maratea had an excellent restaurant in the tourist area. It was one of my favorite restaurant during my 3 week stay around Italy

I would recommend this hotel for anyone that wants to experience a real Italian village/hotel otherwise if you are expecting the New York City Hilton maybe Italy is not the place for you.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
4  Thank BPaquette
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maratea
Grand Hotel Pianeta Maratea Resort
Hotel Villa delle Meraviglie
La Dimora del Cardinale
La Dimora del Cardinale
#15 of 15 in Maratea

Been to Club Residence Pianetamaratea? Share your experiences!