Hotel Ristorante Borgo La Tana
US$91
  • Breakfast included
US$136
TripAdvisor
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 13 November 2011

This was a convenient hotel for our trip down the coast. The beach is a long walk or a short drive away and cannot be seen from the hotel. Breakfast was very basic. Room was small and walls were thin.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bethanddavetravels
Reviewed 18 October 2006

The first thing to know about this hotel is that it is not in the town of Maratea. It is a few miles down the coast so a car is, in my opinion, a necessity. Maratea coast is really the entire coastline on this side of Basilicata with the lovely town of Maratea perched on a mountain at the northern end. I found a car hire place in Maratea town at a reasonable rate ( a drive to Matera in the north-east is also worth the effort although it is a full day there and back).
The La Tana hotel we found to be a charming family run hotel with very good and friendly staff. We were there at the end of September and there seemed to be a lack of open restaurants in the area, so we ended up dining in the hotel every evening as well. This turned out to be a very pleasant experience with some memorable dishes.
We would have no hesitation in staying there again should we find ourselves back in that part of Italy.

D Gill.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Derek_A_G
Reviewed 31 January 2006

An excellent hotel. Great location. Nice rooms. Food was outstanding. Very friendly and helpful staff.

• Stayed: May 2005
2  Thank Louis R
Reviewed 9 December 2005

I fell for this hotel's web-site: it looks like they're on the ocean--they actually state that they are located on the South Maratea coast (they're actually two miles from the water!), and also boasts friendly and efficient service.

Well, to begin with, the employees don't speak any English, except for one front desk clerk. This woman gave me incorrect bus information (the schedule was out of date; I got the newest one and gave it to her), and ended up arguing with me about the bill when I checked out. I had made a reservation through the web company that they use for reservations, and had paid them. I even had my paid receipt with me, and the woman wouldn't believe me. After I insisted, she called the web company and they verified that I had already paid for my room. I wasn't happy to have to argue about anything while on VACATION! This started my day off badly.

This hotel boasts a restaurant that they say is popular to locals, but the two nights that I stayed there, I saw no one eating there but the other three couples who were also staying at the hotel (the price of the food is included in the room). The food was okay, but we only had a choice of two different items from each category, and the woman at the front desk had trouble even telling me what each one was, in English. I was often eating things that were a complete mystery. The dining room is full of bright, fluorescent white light, which isn't relaxing! And the breakfast room is actually white PLASTIC chairs outside (they don't allow you to eat inside unless it's raining) where the bees are buzzing all around your food. No one that works in either restaurant speaks ANY English, so it's difficult to communicate with the employees.

There is only one bus each day that goes the 9 kilometers to the old town of Maratea. There is also only one bus each day that goes to the city of Praia a Mare, so you have to choose one city or the other. If you miss the bus, you are stuck taking a very expensive taxi ride back to the hotel. A better idea is to stay in the actual old town of Maratea--see hotels listed here: http://www.mondomaratea.it/inglese/mondomaratea.html

With no help from my front desk clerk, I wandered to Cavallo Mara Ranch. Though the employees don't speak much English, they are VERY kind and the language barrier posed no problem whatsoever. I had the most delightful ride of my life with a charming young man leading me on his horse. We rode on the beach, though eucalyptus grove, pine groves, and along a rocky stream. It was truly something unforgettable!

I loved downtown Maratea, and had a delicious lunch at a 2nd floor restaurant (the only one on the 2nd floor) on the main square. It's a tiny, quaint city, with cobblestones and delicious gelato. I would love to return to Maratea, but will stay in the city next time, as it's difficult to get around otherwise, and Hotel La Tana wasn't redeeming in any way.

13  Thank Sara S
Reviewed 29 July 2005

We stayed at La Tana for a week on the half board plan. The food was excellent. The location is beautiful on a hillside with access to beaches. There is a lovely pool. The rooms were clean and comfortable with individual porches. Guests included many nationalities`and families as well as singles and couples. All are made to feel at home. The staff will provide transportation to the train station and there is bus service to surrounding cities if you do not have a car. We highly recommend this location.

• Stayed: July 2005