“Nice hotel with a beautiful front yard”
Review of Hotel La Primula

Hotel La Primula
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Marciana Marina
Kiel
“Nice hotel with a beautiful front yard”
Reviewed 16 October 2013

The hotel looks great from the outside as well as from the inside in a white, modern atmosphere. We loved the pool and palm trees in the front yard. If you are looking for a vacation by the pool chose Hotel Tamerici which is also part of the group, because at La Primula is a lot of shade by the pool during the day. Still, it is lovely to sit there. The main argument for this hotel would be the proximity to the lovely harbour with its shops and restaurants. We absolutely enjoyed our stay at La Primula. The staff is also nice and helpful.

Room Tip: The Superior Rooms are much better.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AnniHo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Reviewed 2 October 2013 via mobile

I've been at La Primula for one week with my family on september.... It has been lovely! Nice room, spacious and comfortable, small but quiet swimming pool! Breakfast is very good too! Salt and sweet for every tastes!! Really special restsurant service! Amazing! Every evening there was a different menu! Just one small thing for the reception staff: smile a bit more! We will come again!

• Stayed August 2013
Porthcawl, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 September 2013

Have been staying at this hotel for fourteen years. It is very convenient for the beaches and village. All the Staff have always been friendly and kind towards visitors. This is a three star hotel and for me the Staff can and have gone beyond what is expected of them to make your stay comfortable.
The restaurant is light and airy. Meals can be eaten outside in the pleasent and clean garden. Breakfast is varied and plentiful with choice of menu at lunch and dinner to suit all tastes.
If there has to be a criticism, it is that there is no lift. Therefore if you are on the first or second floor the luggage has to be carried by hand, but if help is required staff are available to give support.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Patricia C
Turku, Finland
Reviewed 11 September 2013

This hotel has a great location in the beautiful Marciana Marina and is surrounded with lots of good restaurants.
It has a pool in the well groomed garden, which unfortunately is shaded by the big trees surrounding it, so it's not suited for sunbathing.
Upon my arrival, my single room was double booked, so i got a non air conditioned and not so welcoming family room with bunk beds and a small bathroom, which was a bit of a disappointment after a long journey, and a day looking forward to get my room and settle in.
I had to stay at this room for 2 nights, which basically "cut" my vacation a bit in half, since i knew that i had to change rooms.

The staff however handled this very politely and professionally, and took care of the room change and compensated this with a free dinner.
The new room was much nicer and had also a small fridge and a big bathroom.
Cleaning worked flawlessly.
There is a well equipped supermarket just across the street, and the buss stop is conveniently just outside the hotel gates.
The rooms are not very well isolated, so you will be waked up in the mornings by the raging church bells outside the window, and the other guests moving around in the corridors.
But you get what you pay for, and this is a basic and okay hotel for a fair price.
A lot is compensated by the friendly and welcoming staff and the nice surroundings.
Breakfast was good and variable.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the front yard to avoid hearing the church bells all the time.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Madrid
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I trusted TripAdvisor and booking.com reviews in order to book myself and my family into a 2-day stay at this supposedly charming hotel in Marciana Marina last August... What a mistake. Either I misunderstood the reviews or we were given the worst room in the hotel, and at what price! (No wonder they live the whole year from the tourists trapped during August).

To be fair, I'll start with the positives:
- reasonably good location in the centre of Marciana Marina, just 2 minutes walking from the shore and the main shopping/restaurant area.
- nice-looking common area in front of reception, with an ample garden and a modern and decent size swimming pool.
- possibility of having breakfast outdoors in the abovementioned garden.
- very clean room

And that's pretty much it. Now the negatives:
- Despite offering American Express as a payment option through Booking.com they actually do not take it so after making my booking online I was required to submit through regular email my credit card details in order to secure the reservation. Nonsense and complete lack of security. I understand this might be an issue with the website, but the only other time this has ever happened to me I was just warned by the hotel but nobody asked me to send any card details, so essentially they trusted me and acknowledged their mistake.
- On arrival, we had heavy luggage with us. We were greeted by two people at reception that allocated us to the last two rooms at the end of the second (and last) floor - essentially the two further rooms from reception despite being only early afternoon so I guess plenty of rooms were free at that moment - and none of them offered any help at all with the baggage. Amazing, as there is no lift and this was not said anywhere, so beware if you can't carry all your luggage two floors upstairs by yourself.
- The aisle leading to the rooms is lacking any natural light nor and decoration or warm light (see photos), and it was quite depressing and full of leaks (see attached photos). During the morning the cleaning ladies didn't have a trolley to carry their stuff so it was all in huge trash bags dropped here and there throughout the aisle, giving an even more depressing feeling to it.
- the rooms, two double classic ones (can't really imagine how the economy must be...) were small (can't see how they manage to add an additional bed when a family room is booked - but they do), very poorly furnished, tiredly decorated and featured an astonishingly old TV with barely 10 inches (I didn't even turned it on, so cannot comment on channels). There were leaks also in the rooms.
- The ensuite bathroom was OK-ish but didn't have have any toiletries except for a soap dispenser. The shower, really small (I literally couldn't turn around without hitting the walls), lost water every time we took a shower, so the bathroom was permanently wet (see photos).
- The doors in all rooms didn't close properly so you either insert the key into it or hit it against the wall in order to close it when leaving the room. This meant that every time anyone in our floor left the room we could easily hear it. Moreover, the glasses in our windows vibrated violently and noisily whenever this happened, or whenever a car passed by the nearby road (which was all the time all night, by the way). This obviously led to a poor sleep quality, helped by the fact that walls are very thin and you could here everything that went around and in the street (as the rooms were just above the town's main road).
- The views from our rooms were horrendous, one pointing to the main street and one to the local recycling deposit - not exactly what you are after in a beach side holiday (see photos).
- Parking is charged at 6 euros per day and consists of an asphaltless land owned by the hotel, with no shade for the car and almost 10 minutes walking from the hotel, unguarded and easily accessible by anyone in the street - the only separating element being a barrier.

In a nutshell, this is a low quality three star hotel (even for Italy, where I've travelled extensively) and definitively not charming at all, so go spend your well earned money somewhere else in the island as at 160 euro per night La Primula isn't worth it at all.

Room Tip: Avoid at all costs the rooms above the main road (224 and 225 if I remember well)
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank buduku

Travellers are raving about these Marciana Marina hotels

Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 29 July 2013

I stayed almost a week in this hotel in July 2013. After second days cleaning I found my new, just bought bag dirty in our room. I hadnt used or moved it during our stay. I went to the reception ask what might have happen? Maybe cleaner had dropped it or something? The response was that it is impossible, it could not have happen. After a while I asked to speak with director because manager made me feel like Im lying, but they did not give me his contact info.

Next day I left my in reception so they could fix what they have caused. But nothing was done. Only thing what the manager did was that she lied straight to my face that she had taken the bag to the cleaners but they couldn't do anything. When I asked the name of the cleaners she didnt remember the name of the place where she had taken it.

Eventually I got the name of the place where she said she took it. I went there and talked with Luigi (the owner) who works there everyday. He hadnt ever seen the bag and said the managers story wasnt true. Nobody had been there from Hotel La Primula.
My intention was only getting my new leatherbag cleaned as soon as possible. Hotel staff did not help me in any way nor took any responsibility that this happened in hotel. Manager didnt listen or believe me at all and eventually made up a story and LIED me straight to my face!

I wrote an email to the director of Primula Hotels and asked does he approve his managers lying to their customers? Is this the way how Primula Hotels are run by?
But no answer from the director Cristiano [--].

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Japaniis
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 24 May 2013

Located just 2 minutes from the beach with excellent customer service (we were given a complimentary bottle of champagne for our honeymoon). Breakfast included a hot meal with eggs (which is hard to find in Italy!). Room was very clean and well kept with all needed amenities. I would recomment Hotel La Primula for these reasons and would stay again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple