“Do not stay in this hotel!!!!!!”

City of Art Venice Lloyd
Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Marghera
Toronto, Canada
“Do not stay in this hotel!!!!!!”
Reviewed 24 June 2013

This was the worst accommodation we stayed in when we were traveling through Europe for three weeks. The rooms were tiny, our shower had extensive mold all on the ceiling, the shower head holster was broken so we had to hold it in our hand, there was no hot water on the first night, excessive noise from other guests closing doors, talking etc. it could all be heard like they were in the room with you, there was a brown stain on our cover and also no wifi in the room, only in the lounge where there was no air conditioning and you had to pay for it. To top it all off breakfast was terrible, the only thing we felt safe to eat was the packaged toasts and jams, and the woman was incredibly rude about where we should sit. Even though it is close to the Venice train station there are far better places that will get you better value for money, and a comfortable night sleep!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sunfish336

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 26 May 2013

My stay in the hotel was fine, considering the fact that I left early in the morning and only came back in the evening to take a shower and go to bed. While the room was ok, for sure I would not rate it a 4* hotel. The room was tiny, but clean, I didn't try the AC since it was still chilly during the nights so I used to blankets. You have a TV in the room and as some other travelers commented there was indeed no drawer, but instead, you had some hangers to use for your clothes and a small storage space. The breakfast was good, you had spreadable cheese, ham, butter, different types of jam, croissants, yogurt, milk & cereal, some juices & coffee & tea. I wasn't bothered at all by the traffic (and I am a light sleeper), you just close the window and you don't hear much anymore. The train station is 2 minutes away from the hotel, it was more convenient for me to take the train instead of the bus, since you have one going to Santa Lucia every 5-10 minutes. The only downside was the check-in time (between 3pm - 6:30pm) and that the hotel doors are closed after 11 pm (i wasn't bothered too much by the last one since Venice is pretty "dead" in the evening so I was already back to the hotel before 11pm).

All in all the hotel was ok, it was exactly what I've expected, the bed comfortable, the room & bathroom clean. If I would come back to Venice and i would be on a budget I would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank IrinaDtn
Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed 15 May 2013

The room was very, very small (barely room to move around the bed). The bathroom was also tiny and the toilet seat lid did not stay up by itself. Also, not noise-proofed. Still, the street in front of the hotel is pretty quiet during the night, so I did not have any problems sleeping.

I think the air conditioning system is one and the same for the entire hotel (instead of every room having its own unit), but in April there was no actual need to turn the heating or cooler on anyway.

Other than these, I cannot complain about anything. The room & bathroom (and the entire hotel, for that matter) were as clean as they can be, towels got changed every day (bed linen not, but that's OK, I don't change it every day at home either). Breakfast was decent. Same choices every day, but tasty (coffee from coffee machine, tea you can brew your own, bread rolls and toast bread, some prosciutto, processed cheese, butter, several types of jam, honey, chocolate spread, jam-filled croissants, two types of fruit juice, milk, cereals.. the usual I suppose, but no cooked food like omellettes or such).

The location is GREAT! It is really close to the train station for going into Venice (maybe a 5min walk). If you choose to go by bus, then you can catch it from just across the street (bus No.6 or 6/ if I remember right). From the same station you can catch the No.15 bus to and from the Marco Polo airport.

Maybe some not that good parts would be these, but I was not bothered by any of them:
- Wi-Fi Internet is only available in the hotel lobby and costs (not much.. maybe 1.5 euro / hour). We got our first half an hour complimentary from the hotel :)
- They don't have a luggage room, but you can store your luggage at the hotel across the street (their "older brother") for just 1 euro / day
- There is no parking with the hotel

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Korinand
Vilnius, Lithuania
Reviewed 14 May 2013

+Very good connection to Venice.
- Despite this I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone.
I booked this hotel in booking.com. After a few days I got a message from booking.com that my credit card details are incorrect. I updated credit card information immediately. After a few days I got again the email that the hotel can't access my credit card. I checked my bank account and I saw that the hotel charged the whole amount from my bank account. I emailed the hotel with the request to confirm if my booking is OK because the rate for room is already deducted from my bank account. I got the confirmation next day.
In the beginning of our vacation we hadn't access to the internet therefore we arrived at hotel City of Art Venice LLoyd without knowing that my booking has been cancelled. The hotel staff was very rude. They stated that I cancelled my hotel reservation by myself. When I almost started to shout at them that I hadn't made any changes they agreed to give us a room. Next day I checked my email and saw the message from booking.com dated 3 days before my arrival that my booking has been cancelled by the hotel. I don't understand where the problem was and who is responsible for this.

In addition, the room was terrible, very small, uncomfortable, the smell was bad, the breakfast very poor, extremely noisy from the street. I can't give 2 stars for such facilities from my constant traveling experience for the last 2 years.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank nila1986

Travellers are raving about these Marghera hotels

Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2013

This hotel was fine. After staying here though we'd probably recommend spending a bit more and staying in Venice itself. Venice Mestre (where this hotel is located) is definitely not a tourist area and the only benefit of the location of this hotel is how close it is to the train station for Venice. This is definitely a benefit though - it's just 2 minutes walk from the station (which is a 10minute train ride to Venice itself and just 1€20 single.

Don't go out to explore the local area around the hotel, we arrived in the evening so thought we'd have a meal in Mestre but it isn't a very welcoming place with very few (if any) restaurants.

The hotel is fine, staff were ok, not always at reception and acted like I'd asked the oddest question ever when I asked how to get to the airport from the hotel.

The room was clean and they are keen for you to be out of your room each morning by 10 for cleaning. It was small though and our shower hook was broken meaning you had to hold the shower head.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mike_and_Catherine
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 17 April 2013

We can not imagine who can like these type of hotel.
First of all, it is possible to find a place in Vinice itself for the same price. Otherwise you can find on Judecca which is 3 min on boat. Taking bus every evening would kill the atmosphere and impression you ve got in Venice as bus is full of people (hustle-bustle). I never had a chance to take a seat on my way to Venice.
The hotel closes at 11pm and no special thing to put your key-card to get in. Guest just must go to the hotel opposide and ask a staff there to open the door of the hotel for entrance.
Internet is only near the reception area and till 11pm as well.
We were witness how a receptionist left his job around 11pm. Then a person from staff came and started to speak with some young people as they are his small kids, and also in a very not respectful manner that they must left reception area, because he switch off everything. That people by the way payed for 3 hours (which couldn t be transfer to the next day)...
The rooms are quite ugly and small as in dormitory, no any decoration at all. a small bed-side table done from capboard (!).
In our room it was too noisy from the transport from
Breakfast consist a coffeee and tea from a coffee machine only.
The hotel obviously dont deserve to stay there. Its obvious. Not for people who going to enjoy the atmosphere of Venice. For us, the reviews from people who liked it seems fake..otherwise they never been in other hotels in Italy or dont know what Venice is about.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Alisa A
London
Reviewed 1 April 2013 via mobile

My room did smell a little bit. Room service opened the door whilst I was there. I had to pay €1 per bag to store them when I arrived before check in, and my train was leaving late afternoon. It's cheap but never paid for that at any other hotel... V easy bus ride to Venice. Small breakfast buffet was alright.

• Stayed April 2013
3 Thank Omar H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marghera
Best Western Hotel Bologna
#1 of 14 in Marghera
Antica Villa Graziella
Antica Villa Graziella
#2 of 14 in Marghera

Been to City of Art Venice Lloyd? Share your experiences!