“Bugs on the walls!”

Ranked #14 of 14 Hotels in Marghera
Chicago, Illinois
“Bugs on the walls!”
Reviewed 20 December 2012

It was an alright location for outside of Venice. We stayed due to the flooding in Venice and it was only a 10 minute bus ride from the hostel to get into Venice. Unfortunately, the walls were covered with dead bug smears and we had to kill a few spiders in the room. Another girl staying at the hostel explained that she found a cockroach in her breakfast. The beds were horrible, we woke up with bruises from the springs that were forcing themselves into us all night. Also, our bathroom door didn't have a lock on it so thank god the two girls we shared a room with were trustworthy and normal. Although the staff was very friendly and helpful, the next time I go to Venice, I will not be staying here.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Brian P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Polish first
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
Reviewed 4 December 2012

We (party of 3 female students) stayed here for one night in early December. NOT as bad as reviews suggest, rather it's a typical hostel. Our room had one big full bed and one twin, a TV, and an ensuite bathroom. Could have been cleaner, but not unhygienic--just a tired hostel, really. Shower was a little sketchy, so we didn't use it. Room was quiet and served our needs, which were really just a safe place to stay, reliable wifi, and close to the rail station while we explored the city of Venice.
We did not spend a lot of time in the hostel or surrounding area as we just wanted to explore the island of Venice (a 10-15 minute train ride away, tickets only 1.30 euro), and it worked fine for that. If you're not used to staying in hostels or want a hotel experience, avoid it, but if you're a traveler looking for a cheap, convenient place to stay, this is a good bet.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 24 September 2012

The only positive thing about this hotel is the close proximity to the train station (other than that there is NOTHING positive). When it comes to reading these posts from other travelers, I need to honestly take better care in the difference of opinions that are posted, because people really do tell the truth. I arrived to my room with smeared dead bugs and dried mucus on the walls - I don't know how housekeeping could have missed this. I am ashamed to say but I had to stay in the room for the first night. The next morning, I went to the reception and asked where were the rooms posted on the website picture gallery and if any were available? He replied, "That side (I assume the hotel side) was fully booked." When I booked my room, the website stated that hotel rooms will have private bathrooms, which mine did - I still don't know if I was on the hostel or hotel side. As I was questioning the receptionist my room was being cleaned, or lack thereof, by the maid service. When I returned to the room to gather my bags I found not one, not two, but five surprises:

The bed was made
Bugs and mucus still on walls
THREE roaches in my room (pics will follow)

I took pictures of everything and went back to the receptionist and demanded that I receive a refund for my non-refundable room. After some hassle, I left that PLACE with my refunded money in hand. PLEASE, do not waste your time or money staying in a place that will give you this much trouble. Remember to take heed and read these posts very carefully.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank J R

Travellers are raving about these Marghera hotels

Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 1 August 2012

The hotel is very simple.
The hotel is near the train station and the bus station in Mestre. The connection to Venice is very simple and cheap. You can use Wifi in front of the reception. No Wifi in room.
The room is very basic but clean.

In this hotel I have only one problem: during the day they stop climatisation in the room! When you return to your room you must start climatisation and stand 30 min before you have a good temperature.

I can recommand this cheap and basic hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
Talamona, Italy
Reviewed 4 September 2011

simply horrible. rooms full of dust. depressed and foreign staff. NO RESTAURANT!!!! dirty curtains. rusty shower and toilet. no tv in single rooms. mosquitos everywhere, it was impossible to sleep. they didn't give us new towels, we had to use those ones we brought from home. they didn't make our beds. shower curtain full of mold. the hotel was divided into 2 buldings. they accept only credit cards. everything was absolutely HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank 95miyu
Hannover
Reviewed 6 January 2009

Be careful - owner resists on cash payment but also debits credit card, that was used only to guarantee booking!!!

Rooms quiet OK, apart from dirty bathroom, not working a/c and no international TV

There are better places just 10 more minutes away from Venice

• Liked — a dry place for the night
  • Disliked — double charge of room price
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank HLX1973
Beloeil, Canada
Reviewed 8 October 2005

We were part of a group. All members were so disappointed with the place: dirty rooms, bugs, dirty shower curtains, air condition turned off centrally from at 11 pm to 6 am. Staff members were OK though. The good news: we spent only 2 nights in the place.

• Stayed September 2005
7 Thank PaulBeloeil_Canada
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marghera
Nuova Aurora
#2 of 2 in Malcontenta
Hotel Villa Costanza
Hotel Villa Costanza
#2 of 58 in Mestre

Been to Colombo? Share your experiences!