“Perfectly situated for visiting Venice”
Review of Hotel Martello

Hotel Martello
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Marghera
Reviewed 23 May 2013

A hotel in Mestre is close to Venice, much cheaper than Venice and easier to get there (We've seen a lot of people with luggage trying to locate their hotel in the small streets of Venice upon arrival)

Some minutes walking from the Mestre train station and bus location.
Situated in a quiet area with a good pizza restaurant around the corner.

Good small Venice map available.
Room was ok

2  Thank Bossini

Reviewed 28 April 2013

After booking the hotel, I started to read in different places what a bad idea and time consuming it was generally to be staying in Mestre, so I was a bit worried. Luckily this place turned out to be really well connected to Venice one really means and desires as tourist. The frequent buses and trains located nearby give you good alternative so you can get to island or back in only around 15 minutes. Worth saving money with this hotel as you would pay more outside Mestre. And yet, thanks to the location, you don't have to worry about coming back to hotel instead of enjoying your evening in Venice. The owners were nice, caring and informative, the rooms were clean and well maintained. Nothing to complain really. if I am ever going to be coming back to Venice, it will be my first choice for accomodation.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank DanielK1979
Reviewed 28 August 2012

Venice is notoriously expensive, so I'm glad we picked a place a little further out. Trains leave for S.Lucia every 15 minutes, so getting to the island isn't really a problem, and it's worth it to avoid the extra expense of accommodation. It was still fairly pricey, but good for a private room.
We stayed in a double room with ensuite. The room was nice and clean (they had quite a few flies in there, as it overlooked someone's back garden, but it wasn't too bad) and the bathroom was a good size.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank PElephant
Reviewed 26 June 2012

Stayed here with my wife for two nights. Very clean hotel and room, looks newly decorated. Room was a little small, bathroom was a shower room so you had to close the door or water could splash the bed. Breakfast was fine: some bread rolls, croissant and jam/cheese/chocolate spread. Choice of tea or ground coffee (we had coffee which was lovely and strong).
Location is good, short walk to either the bus (number 6 or 6/) to Pl. Roma, Venice or to Mestre Station. Nice and quiet sort of residential area, so if you want to have a nice meal out or do something else you should do that in Venice itself.
Would stay here again if returning.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Robbo_Traveller
Reviewed 8 November 2011

Though it's on the mainland, the hotel has a decent location, being a 5-7 minute walk away from the bus stop where you can take the very frequently running 6 or 6/ to Venizia St Lucia. It's also about the same distance from the Mestre train station where pretty much every train to or from Venezia st lucia stop. The breakfast is quite good and reasonably priced. And there's a little cafe + restaurant called Cafe Verra a couple of minutes away with some great food.
What we were most impressed with, however, was the excellent service and advice provided to us by our hostess. My first impression of her was that of my high school headmistress. It was further reinforced a minute later when she sat us down, pulled up a map and proceeded to give us the most thorough understanding of the city, Martello's location, the attractions, transport facilities and dining places I have ever had in 15 minutes. She speaks French, Italian and English with great fluency, so communication shouldn't be an issue. We got to know her better over the next couple of days and built a wonderful acquaintance with a lovely lady. Great place. Will DEFINITELY stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank HariniIyengar
Reviewed 29 September 2011

I was happy with hotel its self and room. The location is good as you're close enough to the main part of Venice by taking a bus for 15 mins and it's a 5 minute walk from the train station. Make sure to print out the map and directions to get there. The only issue I had was with the woman who was running the place. Although I am from a city with a reputation from rudeness and I am living in another city with a reputation for bad service I found her to be quite off putting even for my low service standards. Initially she almost turned me away and kept having me wait for her so she could go off to do something else. When I asked for directions she gave a stern and gruffy response. I almost started to laugh on the bus when I read about how they strive to be great hosts etc... I wish I stayed at a less expensive hostel. It was really not so bad though and honestly more amusing than anything else. She could have been having a bad day. If you want to stay at a hotel in Venice this is honestly still quite a good deal, esp for two people. Another tip is that the bus is 2.50 EUR if you buy the ticket on board. She said that the tobacco shop sells them for 1 EUR but they did not when I was there. The unlimited venice pass for boats and buses should cover your ride from the hotel to the islands and back.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank thetravelerfromnyc
Reviewed 27 June 2011

Don't be fooled by what it looks like from the outside. Amazing location. Amazing rooms. Amazing service. Will stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2011
1  Thank Jfhull
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marghera
Antica Villa Graziella
#1 of 14 in Marghera
Villa Adele Hotel
Villa Adele Hotel
#3 of 14 in Marghera

Been to Hotel Martello? Share your experiences!