See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 16 June 2017

When we first arrived I thought, oh no this needs an outside paint job, too many industrial type stairs and railings on the sides of the property, this is not going to be what I was hoping for. Once I walked through the lobby doors I realized I could not have been more wrong,,,what a beautiful property. Everywhere you look there was gorgeous marble, great lighting oversized sofa and chairs with crisp clean linen covers. I was so pleased. The front desk was staffed with 2 to 4 agents all the time, all dressed in matching suits ready to greet you with a smile. After a speedy checking and a decision on our part to upgrade to an Executive Suite we were assisted by a bellman to our suite. WOW, The living room, bedroom and even the bath were so spacious but the best was the wall of floor to ceiling windows that gave you a view of the mountain range where the famous Carrara marble quarry lies, what a great way to wake up. This view can be seen by any rooms on the side and back of the hotel. The terrace has a 4 chair patio table under a stationary oversized umbrella with 2 wicker lounge chairs. You also have an unobstructed view of the sea, this sea view can also be enjoyed by any front of the property room, no matter where your room is you have an amazing view.

This hotel is spotlessly clean, walking around for 10 days there was always a mirror being cleaned or furniture covers being put back on after a wash (yellow fabric in a lobby bar/sitting area and I never saw a stain)! The housekeeping staff did a great job and each staff member was in uniform which adds to the detail this property achieves.

The Rooftop restaurant offers a beautiful sunset you can enjoy at outside or indoor tables. Even indoor there are no walls, just glass so you don't miss out on the view. Waiters and the Maitre d' with white shirt and black tie or a suit, offer unobtrusive service along with very good food. My husband enjoyed breakfast each day stating a good selection of all continental breakfast items and other made to order items.

The lobby bar is stocked with everything an American would want to drink always served with peanuts, olives, chips and a smile. Very comfortable individual sitting areas that allow you some privacy but still able to enjoy the atmosphere. Not even 2 days into our stay staff members knew our room number, drink order, favorite prosecco and even our dogs name. (this hotel is very dog friendly, the first night our turn down housekeeper put a bath mat under our dogs water dish, they don't miss anything).

For 10 days every minute spent here was an absolute pleasure, we didn't want to leave and look forward to returning. Mr. Bedini thank you and please thank your entire staff for an exceptional stay, you should all be very proud.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank linda o
Reviewed 15 February 2017

Great location right across from the seafront. Friendly staff, rooms are a good size and very clean. Breakfast served from 6.30-10.00am on weekdays, a little later on weekends, with a good selection of foods available. Snacks are free in the bar area from 11.00 - 5.00 every day. BUT, beware, the beds are like boards!! And, the air conditioning wasn't working properly, so it was like sleeping in a sauna despite being February. Such a shame since this hotel has so much else going for it.

Room Tip: Fourth floor offers great views.
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 February 2017

1 -reception employees need more training how to deal with customers they are not bad but they should be better
2 -I have been coming to this hotel for almost 20 years or more . for some reason the waitress in breakfast lounge asked me what is your room number . it is ok if she asked all the gests but what bathers me I was the only one . I hope it is not a sign of racism
3- Management it time to make maintenance the sound of the air conditioner is too loud . and the bathrooms heaters .
4- the house keeping decides how many towels they put in the bathroom , it is the first hotel that put only one towel in your bathroom if you are one person

in general every year I come to this hotel it is getting worst I hope the management catch up before other good hotel in the area open and take all your old customers

Room Tip: always higher floors with room end with number 15 or 18 if not next are 16 or 17
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled on business
HotelExcelsiorMS, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Hotel Excelsior, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2017

Dear Sig.Khalid,
Thank you for your review, it is always useful for us to hear the opinions of our customers.
Regarding the fact you reported during breakfast we really don't understand what can concern asking the room number of a customer with racism, this statement is really out of place. Our restaurant staff is obliged to ask the room number for an organizational reason, this happens to all customers. If it seemed you that you was the only one maybe it is because with the other customers that had already happened.
The fact that you have been a guest for 20 years has nothing to do with asking every time your room number.
Our housekeeper provides towels for the number of people present in the room to avoid unnecessary waste, additional towels are obviously available if required, just ask.
Hoping to see you again in our hotel
best regards

Reviewed 12 October 2016 via mobile

Generally a good hotel. Good location, very friendly staff. Rooms good, especially from the sea side. But: breakfasts with the full menu only till 8 a.m. !! Very small pool area. We were not lucky with very noisy, spoild kids on the pool - hotel staff didn,t react !!! No parking place except for the garage for additional 30 Eur/day!!! We will not back to this hotel.

Stayed: October 2016
Reviewed 24 August 2016

Nice hotel, with a very efficient staff.
Very polite and helpful.
Good place for couples or family.
Great breakfast and bar.
Swimming pool is nice too.
nice restaurant in the roof top. Food is good but not waouh

Room Tip: huge activity in the park close to the hotel therefore if you have a room on the park side, I will be harder to sleep before midnight.
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family