Where do I start? My wife and I wanted to have a small 6-day getaway to Lake Como from Germany, and because of the last-minute nature of our plans - we had limited hotel options. When I found out that there would be a lake-side room available at the GHV, I was thrilled!! We didn't book the breakfast with our room, because the price of 13Euro per person seemed a bit steep. However, upon checking in, the hotel offered us the "deal" of 10Euro per person for breakfast - so we ran with it. Let's roll down the list of Pros and Cons:
- The view of the lake from our room was incredible!!! We stayed on the 3rd floor and had one of the middle rooms, which gave us an unimpeded view of Como. I cannot praise the view enough. Waking up each morning, opening the windows, and standing in awe became our morning tradition before breakfast. Fantastic!
- The staff of the hotel was always friendly, helpful, and the maids did a fine job of cleaning up the room each day.
- The location of the hotel in Menaggio is pristine. It is a very short walk to the main town square, and just a bit further walk to the ferry station.
- Parking for the hotel is fantastic. The town (like most Italian towns) doesn’t have many options when it comes to parking, but the hotel has plenty of space.
- This is not a 4-star hotel. The room was definitely old, and needs some renovation. The carpet was coming up in places, the bed was extremely hard, and the shower was actually just a tub with a shower head. There was not a shower curtain, so beware of anything in the direct vicinity of your tub while showering! The television was a joke. We didn’t watch any television while there, but a 4-star hotel ought to have more than a 13-inch screen placed on the desk. Mount it on the wall at the very least!
- The internet connection is shoddy. There were times that it worked well, and there were times (at night when you needed it most) that it did not work at all.
- The breakfast is a joke. A hotel of this caliber ought to have a better breakfast than what was provided. I could’ve just as easily gone to the store and grabbed some bread, canned fruits, and marmalade myself – and it would have cost FAR less than the 10Euros we spent per person (20 Euros per day). If you wanted anything fresh, you had to pay. Sure you could have scrambled eggs, but you’ll have to pay a premium!
Another note that I would like to add, but won’t use for the purpose of this rating: there was a wedding held during one of the nights that we were staying. We are not usually prone to complain about noise, but when the wedding venue is right below your window with a live band and fireworks well into the night – it becomes a bit of a nuisance. We would have liked at least a heads-up from the staff, so that we could’ve planned that evening as one of our nights out.
We did enjoy our trip, and made the best of the weather! We rented a boat and even took a trip out to Milano, and it was definitely a wonderful time. However, we were constantly disappointed with the hotel. Dropping over a thousand Euro to stay at a “4-star” hotel on Lake Como, you would expect a bit more. The hotel was clearly the star of Menaggio in its hey-day, but it seems like without proper renovations and changes in the breakfast policy – that hey-day has come and gone. We will return to Lake Como, but likely will not return to GHV.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo, LoveHolidays, TripOnline SA, Ebookers and Evoline ltd so you can book your Grand Hotel Victoria reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Hotel Menaggio
- Grand Hotel Victoria Menaggio, Lake Como