If you are looking for charm, friendliness and good Italian cuisine, then avoid the Bellavista Hotel. It fails to deliver on all three.
On arrival at the hotel (after being delayed and following a 3 hour transfer) we were greeted with indifference. Apart from a request for our passports, no other communication was forthcoming and we were sent with our cases to our 3rd floor room in a rickety lift.
The room (303) was small, dated and very tired. Although we did had a lake view, we had no air conditioning. (Only one room on this floor according to the receptionist has air conditioning.) Throughout the week the room was stifling and we slept with the doors open. We did get a fan for the room when we complained about the heat, yet this was after fierce discussion with reception. Customer care is not a priority of the hotel.
Unfortunately B&B was not available with our Thomson's booking, thus we booked half board. We would always prefer to venture out to eat. The food at the hotel was dire throughout the week, on par with poor quality school dinners. Equally the service was poor. No one ever explained where dinner was served; how we ordered; what the desserts were, nor at any stage did anyone ask how we found the food. Timing between courses was dependent on how busy the "other restaurant" was. The cold breakfast was adequate but repetitive. Staff had to be asked to replenish low food stocks, rather than this happening as a matter of course. On a positive note, the coffee at breakfast was fine, as was a lemon sorbet we had one night.
The management and waiters of the Bellavista are clearly not interested in their package tour guests. Instead they are preoccupied with their passing trade customers in the restaurant, who are afforded with a veranda Lakeside view, and their European clientele who have booked directly, rather than through an English tour operator. It feels like the hotel operates a two tiered, segregated system. The re-furbished rooms below us, which do not appear to be offered to Thomson clients, reflect this.
The hotel's location on the Lake is ideal - near to the ferry terminal, the bus stop and the centre of the resort. This could be a really lovely place to stay if the package tour rooms were upgraded; the staff were sent on an intensive customer service training course; and the quality of the food improved significantly.
Overall our holiday was enjoyable but we would definitely not return to this hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the centre of Menaggio, directly on the lakeside, Hotel Bellavista enjoys a magnificent panorama across the heart of Lake Como. The view of Bellagio is amazing, unique, because we have the best position in the center of the lake.The spacious veranda of the "Ristorante del Porto", the solarium with swimming pool and the terrace enable guests to relax to the full in a wonderful setting. Just 150 m from the ferry boat and water bus landing stage and 50 m from the bus stop. The hotel offers comfortable rooms all with satellite TV and safe. Tea room, bar, free WIFI in the whole hotel, lift, garage, car park, private mooring for motorboats. 18-Hole golf course 2 km. Away (Menaggio & Cadenabbia Golf Club) with special arrangements for Hotel guests. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Ebookers and TripOnline SA so you can book your Hotel Bellavista reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bellavista Hotel Menaggio
- Hotel Bellavista Menaggio, Lake Como