“location, location and good value”
Review of Hotel Bellavista

Hotel Bellavista
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Menaggio
Rehovot
“location, location and good value”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

What makes this hotel, is not just the good location, comfort and service but the lake view is exactly the reason you came to Menaggio.
You cannot better the position of this hotel. The ferry is 3 minutes walk and thge restaurants are 3 minute in the other direction.
I would mention that breakfast could be improved but perhaps I am being ovely critical.
The dining room itself is with a most beautiful all glass view of the lake. Just looking out onto the tranquillity of the lake and the hills beyond more than makes up for any deficiencies in the breakfast menu.
Staff were good and pleasant, answered our every need and enquery.
In all very pleasant and good value.

Room Tip: ask for lake view
1 Thank Ian W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Greek first
Solihull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Went for a long weekend.
Arrived late on the Friday and have to say my check-in experience can only be described as awesome.I cannot remember the staff member's name but she actually jogged over to the car park to let me in and took me to my space. Over and above in my opinion.
Location, you would struggle to find a more beautiful and convenient spot anywhere, short walking distance of excellent restaurants and the ferry's, didn't use our hire car once while we were there. The view of the lake whilst eating breakfast will live with me forever, I found a very happy place. Nice touch having a swimming pool too although I didn't use it due to the requirement of a swimming cap, not something I carry on a daily basis.
Rooms, I would say if anything this, which I knew before travelling, lets the hotel down somewhat, they are a little tired, we had a street view room and these were a little older in décor than the lake view. In hindsight we should have booked a lake view room, we chose the hotel for its location and it didn't seem important at the time but the view was just so beautiful. We had made a mistake. The view was worth the extra spend alone but the real reason I would say would be to get away from the noise. The room didn't have air con and it was warm but if we had the windows open the noise from the street below was quite significant, then there were 'the bells', the local church has a bell tower that rings every 15 minutes to tell the time at least, there is no chance of a 'lie in', they also ring to tell you the date, that mass is starting, that there is a wedding and probably that the Priest is using the WC. Seriously the people of Menaggio should resemble Quasimodo the amount of times these bells ring but that shouldn't detract from the awesome place. I will be going again but with a Lake view and maybe some ear defenders.

Room Tip: Don't have a street view - noisy and not as nice
1 Thank n00fsjw
San Jose, CA
Reviewed 29 June 2014

The location of the Hotel was very convenient...just a block away from the ferry pier. The hotel is right on the water and the rooms facing the lake have spectacular views. We chose a less expensive room on the non-lakeside and we were still happy with our view of the mountains. Staff was very nice. Room was small but easy to adapt to. Bathroom was nice although the shower was a little too small but probably normal for hotels of this size and type. There is a fridge in the room to keep your drinks cold. The swimming pool is a nice size and has views of the lake and mountains. We didn't try the restaurant but it has the best lake views of any place in town. The town is small so you can walk everywhere. We had great WiFi access here... fast enough to video chat with family in the USA. I would not hesitate to stay here again if we ever return.

Room Tip: If you choose a lakeside room, be aware that some rooms have a balcony and some do not. Make sure t...
3 Thank Almaden
Dublin
Reviewed 29 June 2014

This is a really lovely hotel at a reasonable price. I had a single room on the third floor with french windows offering a wonderful view over the lake. The dining room and bar have a large terrace directly on the lake, and the swimming pool also looks out onto the same view. Many rooms have balconies, I had one on my previous visit, and sitting there in the evenings is heavenly.

I arrived at 10.00 am having taken the boat across from Varenna where i had stayed for a few nights. i arrived and had to smile - the man in his thirties (?) on reception was barking at his papa down the phone, and I thought of all the reviews that complain of grumpy behaviour. But he turned around and agreed no problem to my leaving my luggage there until it was time to check in - what more does one need? When I returned an older man was on reception, who was very pleasant and efficient, and had a really sweet smile. When I read reviews of other properties saying how friendly hotel/B and B owners are, I always cringe a bit, (readers of this are either thinking I am odd or are nodding and saying me too) and in truth have never found these same hosts friendly in a way that works for me. This was my second stay in the Bellavista, and I found the service pleasant, friendly and professional which is exactly what I require.

One snag was that when I came down to breakfast and took one of the several empty tables on the waterfront the waitress told me firmly to sit further back - 'table for one madam? here!' but backed down when I replied that in fact I would sit 'there'. Odd behaviour and a little unsettling, had to brace myself a little each morning, not what I want when on holiday. But that was the only hitch, everything else was lovely: clean room, gorgeous outside area, small exchange library, clean pool. In high season the pool surround might prove small, with not enough recliners for everyone. The breakfast is fine, not sumptuous but adequate, i asked for an espresso doppio and it was provided, noticed other people were getting those pots of hotel coffee, so ask for the real thing.

This is one of the few hotels directly on the lake - most are across the busy road from the lake shore.

If/when I return to Lake Como, I will return to this hotel.

PS: It is not easy to find a nice place to swim in Lake Como. By far the nicest I found was a park in Tremezzo south of the town where you can swim off steps in the park. there is grass and trees for shade. The lake bottom is sandy and it is very pleasant. In Colico there is a large green area on the edge lake (reach Colico by train from any of the towns on the east side of the lake). other places, not so nice but a swim is a swim are - In Varenna there is a little spot along the path that leads behind the Bar Il Molo - it is a tiny 'beach' at the back of the Hotel Victoria. In Bellaggio you can walk in a few minutes to the Punta Spartivento where there is grass, and trees for shade, and you can get to the water.

The railway goes right along the east coast of the lake and there are trains which will take you from Varenna to Milan is just over an hour. Milan is well worth a visit, there are great art galleries, all within walking distance of each other. I took the metro to the Duomo and saw the museum of the Novocento, then walked back to the station visiting other galleries on the way. The Brera is mostly religious art, but a small collection of 19th and 20th century art also worth seeing.

I bought a pass for the boats which allowed unlimited travel in the centre of the lake for six days for €45 which was very good value.

If you have not already read it, consider reading I Promessi Sposi/the Betrothed while at lake Como, it is set in Lecco and the boats on the lake are named after the characters in the novel.

Room Tip: It is worth the extra for a lake view.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank Lonipod
Norfolk
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We found that the rooms in the hotel were very good and very clean and we had a good viewe over the lake. The hotel is well situated for all the facilities in Menaggio. The one let down was the food, which we found over-cooked, particularly the main course in the evening. Perhaps if we'd gone a la carte instead of half-board this might not have been a problem.

Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2014

My friend and I spent a lovely week here. We had a twin, first floor room overlooking the lake. The view is absolutely stunning and so peaceful as the road runs on the other side of the hotel. We booked with Thomsons, who were excellent. Their trips were well organised and planned. The Bernina Express trip is a must. I can't fault the hotel and the dining room has the same lake view. Even if you sit indoors, the whole wall of the dining room is glass so it's as good as sitting outside. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a nice relaxing holiday. Boat trips are 2 minutes walk away as is a little supermarket.

Room Tip: Ask for lake view room.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We took the ferry over from Bellaggio and as we walked past this hotel, we had to stop to see the beautiful scenery. We realized we could eat there and the food was delicious and we were made to feel extremely comfortable even though we were not guests there. They were also kind enough to share their wifi while we ate lunch. It was a nice stop over for an hour or so.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Menaggio
Grand Hotel Menaggio
#4 of 10 in Menaggio
Grand Hotel Cadenabbia
Grand Hotel Cadenabbia
#3 of 5 in Cadenabbia di Griante

Been to Hotel Bellavista? Share your experiences!