“Lives up to its name”

Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Menaggio
Hove, United Kingdom
“Lives up to its name”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

This hotel is a typical Italian 3* of which we have stayed in many. The rooms are dated and the pillows are hard but our bed was Ok, but then we prefer a firm mattress. The rooms are cleaned and serviced daily and my hint would be that if you need an additional pillow ask the maid, couldn't be more helpful. The restaurant was fine, again dated, again the breakfast typical Italian continental style, but the 3 course evening meal (and we stayed half board) was satisfactory, well cooked, and a relatively varied menu. Only fault was portion sizes of the main course and lack of vegetables. But all the waiting staff were helpful and attentive. Clearly they are trying to develop the restaurant side of the hotel which is unsurprising given the fantastic views, best we have ever had from a hotel room. The only poor service is from the husband and wife owners who clearly have owned the hotel for a long time. They are complacent with many aspects of this hotel. Rooms are tired and they certainly have a brusque manner, BUT if you watched carefully they were very much on the ball with the restaurant and made sure the service staff got things right. It seemed to me that they treated the hotel as their home rather than as a business and that was where they went wrong. If you want an average Italian hotel with wonderful views, that's close to the resort centre then the Bellavista is for you. And if you arrive between 9am and 8pm the reception staff are very helpful indeed!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PaultheVicar

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Greek first
Lausanne, Switzerland
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

To all reviewers of this hotel: did we stay in the same place? Seriously disappointed with this place.

For starters we arrived late evening and were greeted with a telling off from the owners for arriving after 10 pm. They have dozens of staff running around, but no night doorman? As customers on holidays willing to shell out 170 bucks a night, such rudeness on arrival is simply an outrage.

Room wasn't much better: medieval bed with a hole in the mattress and pillows like bags of cement, and the sheets were a bit dodgy to say the least... Meanwhile, during the night, a swarm of ants colonised our open suitcases! You wouldn't get this level of discomfort in the depths of the jungle...

To be fair, the view upon opening the shutters was simply breathtaking, and Bellavista is really well located by the lake.

But sadly for us, Bellavista is a hotel that snatches defeat from the jaws of victory: years of neglect and complacent owners used to seeing tourists flock regardless of service mean it is abominable value for money, and the attentive customer is likely to find much better elsewhere.

Stayed July 2014
3 Thank PaddyHeck

Travellers are raving about these Menaggio hotels

Lausanne, Vaud, Switzerland
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

So, it cannot be denied the view is amazing. Both from the rooms and the restaurant. The swimming-pool is also very nice, no doubt with that.
Given the location,this could be an amazing place. Unfortunately:
- the owners are really really unwelcoming; we arrived at 11.30pm on our 1st night and the grumpy old guy told us off like little kids......because the reception closes at 10pm......!!! Sorry, are you a hotel or what??! Especially when you pay 140€ per night, you can expect better....and during our whole stay, every time we were asking something (ex: bottle of water), we really had the feeling we were disturbing them!!
- the rooms are really very old fashioned (in a bad way; not vintage at all) with horrible beds (whole in the middle) and even worse pillows (as hard as rice bags!!)
- for the price, the breakfast food is not that great

In conclusion, really bad value for money and unacceptable service.

Be careful, most of the reviews are posted only for the restaurant! That is why the ratings are ok!!

Stayed July 2014
3 Thank CamilleFrance_12
Noosa, Australia
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Great Location, easy to find, easy to walk to everything, great view

Rooms - beds suitable if you are under 180cm as at 194cm I had a great portion of my legs hanging off probable the hardest bed I have ever had the experience to sleep on. The only thing harder was the pillows and we made the mistake of asking for some more pillows... oops how rude of us. The manager well personality of an uptight school mistress (sorry to those good school mistresses) most annoyed we asked for new pillows so after that didn't even consider asking for a possible change of room with a bigger bed.

I would check the quality of your bed prior to confirming your stay as it simply was not possible to get comfortable on the slab we were presented with

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank RussellG1812
San Rafael, California
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,533 helpful votes
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Prior to our arrival in Lake Como we took a train from Milan airport and then transferred to a direct train that drop us off right on Lake Como. It was very easy.

Once we arrived at the train station we were able to find the ferry station just down the street that traveled to the various towns around Lake Como.

So we had lunch at a restaurant near the Lake in the main town and figured out where we wanted to go. Based on a few recommendations, first from two sweet older Italian ladies on the train who barely spoke English, but pointed to it on our map, another from the owner of the restaurant we were eating lunch at, and finally from the lady at the "tourist information center" that was around the corner from the restaurant.

They all seemed to have the idea that Menaggio was better for kids than Bellagio, so since 4 out 4 people recommended it, we decided we should take their advice.

After looking at Bellagio later in our trip while touring the lake, I realized I would have rather stayed in Bellagio as it was more bustling with shops and restaurants.

However, the town we stayed in was charming, just not as many choices for places to eat, etc. I think the view of the lake was just as gorgeous, however there was less to do and much more quiet. I’m sure many people would prefer that over the hustle and bustle.

I guess the recommendations from the locals were based on the fact Bellagio is a bit more expensive and much more crowded. We did actually see more families with kids in Bellagio than we saw in Menaggio. It was at least 10 times more crowed in Bellagio.

That being said, the hotel we stayed at in Menaggio was really wonderful. We had an amazing view of the lake that most likely would have cost 3 times the price for a similar view room in a hotel in Bellagio.

We had 2 good sized rooms. My husband and I and our baby stayed in a room facing the lake.

I took a video of the view and will try to upload it soon. As the old cliché’ goes.. the picture ( or video in this case) is truly worth a thousand words.

Our other 3 kids stayed in an equally nice room across the hall with a street view. If you are only staying in one room you must get the view of Lake Como room!!!

The location of the hotel was great as we were able to get to the other restaurants by walking a few blocks and the ferry was also just a few blocks away in the opposite direction. The public ferry station had boats that went to different towns around the lake.

I feel confident in giving this hotel a 5 star review as I looked at several other hotels in Menaggio, even inside the rooms of one of them before we booked at Bella Vista as a walk in.

I was able to find these hotels by using the “near me now” feature on the TripAdvisor mobile app. To be honest, I saw the Bella Vista before some of the others but walked passed it initially as it was near the bottom of the list on TripAdvisor.

The very first hotel that we found off the ferry was a really large and impressive looking hotel called Grand Hotel Menaggio, it was grand and impressive from the outside.

However, I was given a tour of a family room suite on the top floor there, unfortunately the family room had an odd layout, and felt a bit disjointed and the view was only really from the deck. So we passed on this hotel, which was actually asking nearly double the price of what we paid for our 2 rooms at the Bella Vista just down the street.

Secondly, I walked into the Hotel Du Lac which was rated up at the top of the list when I was searching for a hotel in Menaggio on TripAdvisor on my iPhone as I walked around as my family ate dinner. I was told by the receptionist at Hotel Du Lac that they were fully booked, but I could see that the proximity from the lake that the Bella Vista Hotel was a better choice for us anyway.

I also stopped in at the which was right above the restaurant where my husband and kids were eating dinner and drinking wine ( just my husband drinking wine, not the kids, lol... that came later in our trip.. kidding.. well mostly! Ha!)

Anyway, I stopped in the hotel to ask about rooms at the Albergo Il Vapore but they were fully booked at this hotel as well. All the smaller hotels listed on TripAdvisor were right near each other, with little restaurants below most of them, as well as the currently listed #1 hotel The Hotel Garni Corona, all in the same area across the street from the water in little squares that faced the lake.

The Bella Vista was about a block or so from the restaurants and these hotels, but it was truly on the waterfront, the others were set back more across the street in the small square of shops and restaurants.

After being there a while we walked farther down the waterfront and saw what resembled an old palace, it was the Grand Hotel Victoria. This was extremely impressive from the outside, much more lovely on the outside than our hotel, but also was set quite a bit back with a large mature garden in front and across the street from the water. After looking at all the competition, I felt we were lucky the others were booked up and that the Bella Vista had 2 rooms for us!

Also of note, the Bella Vista was rated as a 3 star hotel by the local review service ( I took a photo of their award plaque in the lobby.). Many of the other hotels that ranked higher on TripAdvisor actually were only 2 star hotels. When booking it’s good to keep this in mind and compare apples to apples.

This hotel was a fabulous value and really nice quality. I hope it gets a more fitting spot on TripAdvisor as it is better than some of the other hotels nearby and the rates are great.

The only downfall in my opinion was the food for breakfast was limited and not my style, but the view of the lake while eating breakfast was stunning. So who needs to eat? Ha! Just kidding! Anyway, the breakfast included was just a bonus in my opinion.

This place was a find! Trust me, I am super picky! Just look at all my reviews in other places in Italy as well as 27 different countries.

By the way, if you think this review was helpful would you please click on that little button that says “ This review was helpful.” It just makes me feel good to know how many people are reading these and that I am actually helping fellow travelers. Thank you and enjoy Lago Di Como! We can’t wait to go back!

I hope the video upload works. You'll get a much better idea of how amazing the view was from our room.

Room Tip: Must get the Lake Como view! That's why this hotel is called Bella Vista!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
33 Thank MelissaBradley
Denver
Reviewed 5 July 2014

This hotel has a great location and the restaurant has lovely views. Sadly, the food did not match the views. We both had steak, but it came with gravy on top of it and tasted terrible. My boyfriend also had pasta with basil sauce, which was mediocre. We had ordered a meal which came with dessert, but it was just plain vanilla ice cream, not even yummy gelato. The service was not friendly and very flow, so overall a poor experience except for the vibes. I am giving it 3 stars only for the view, and maybe we caught it on a bad night.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank crimlaw
Rehovot
Reviewed 1 July 2014

What makes this hotel, is not just the good location, comfort and service but the lake view is exactly the reason you came to Menaggio.
You cannot better the position of this hotel. The ferry is 3 minutes walk and thge restaurants are 3 minute in the other direction.
I would mention that breakfast could be improved but perhaps I am being ovely critical.
The dining room itself is with a most beautiful all glass view of the lake. Just looking out onto the tranquillity of the lake and the hills beyond more than makes up for any deficiencies in the breakfast menu.
Staff were good and pleasant, answered our every need and enquery.
In all very pleasant and good value.

Room Tip: ask for lake view
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ian W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Menaggio
Grand Hotel Menaggio
#4 of 10 in Menaggio
Grand Hotel Cadenabbia
Grand Hotel Cadenabbia
#3 of 5 in Cadenabbia di Griante

Been to Hotel Bellavista? Share your experiences!