“WORST EXPERIENCE EVER!!!”

The Caponi Bros Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #58 of 75 Mestre B&B and Inns
“WORST EXPERIENCE EVER!!!”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Where do I start.. Booked for 3 nights, stayed for 2 (reluctantly).

First of all, we were made to carry our very large suitcases up 5 flights of stairs to the "reception" of one building, only to be told we were staying next door. We then had to climb back down the stairs and back up another 5 flights upstairs to the "budget" building next door.. Not that the first building looked to be any better.

This is where the fun begins...
Unlike the pictures shown, we did not have a "triple room", but a double "bed" (piece of foam) and a fold out sofa.

The strangest and most inconvenient problem was that NONE of the keys to ANY of the rooms work. There is a communal key to the shared bathroom which worked once, the entire time we were there. The other times, all three of us had to climb out the bathroom window to get out of the bathroom. Thank god it was there. We also spent 10-15 minutes trying to get into the front door and then our bedroom door every time we entered the building. When one of our party was stuck in the other shared bathroom, with nowhere to jump out of the window, the very rude member of staff told us that we were going to break the key and told them to drop the key out the window so he could let her out.

There was a blood stain on the blanket on the main bed.

The sink in the bathroom was clogged for an entire day, and still clogged when we left. We had to brush our teeth over the toilet. (Please see below) As you can imagine, not the most pleasant of experiences.

The toilet flush button was not a button but a coat hanger... Yep. A coat hanger.....

All of the power went out on both of the nights that we were there. One of the nights, after waiting for 45 minutes for the overcrowded, shared bathroom, one of our party got stuck in the shower, naked, in the pitch black... Which made it very difficult to climb out the window.

The wifi didn't/barely worked for the majority of our stay.

Mestre is also AT LEAST 20 minutes on a bus, then a ferry away from Venice.. Not 10 minutes as was described.

All of these problems were very rudely dismissed by the members of staff.

If the staff were helpful or at the very least, pleasant.. The other things could possibly be overlooked (except the bloodstain) and it may have been a bareable stay.

It was so bad that we forfeited the final night's accommodation that we had pre-booked and stayed elsewhere.

Everyone that was staying there during our stay was having the same issues. Really suprised there are no other reviews to this effect. Stay elsewhere!

• Stayed June 2014
5 Thank Erinaclarke

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Montevideo, Uruguay
Reviewed 27 October 2013

It´s not that terrible if you know what you are paying for, but I would stay somewhere else. We ended up staying here because everything was pretty much booked in Venice, or you ended up paying quite a lot.

Pros
Room are ok in size
Clean, can´t complain about that.
Breakfast included, basic, but fine.
Good location, just a couple of blocks from the bus stop to Venice

Cons
Mattress was bad
The bedroom had smoke smell
You have to climb 3 floors with your luggage
Only two shared bathrooms (men, women), sink, toilet and shower in the same place.
And the worst (at least for our luck), we had terrible neighbor in the building, that kept shouting and playing loud music during the night.

Not the place I would stay again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Mestre hotels

New York
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Please read Vaskez's review from 22 June 2013. It's very comprehensive, the more so as that person experienced both the nice half and the (apparently) less-nice other half of the B&B.

I stayed in the nice half (room 3). It was fine. Everything was clean, and the bed was large and comfortable.

Apart from that, the only things that I will add to Vaskez's great review are about the staff and the logistics.

STAFF: The person I interacted with (a man from south Asia) was friendly enough and spoke good English. (He preferred English to my good-by-tourist-standards Italian.) He was there when I arrived late (after 9pm). Granted, I had let them know ahead of time that I would be late by sending an SMS to the mobile number in my booking reference, so perhaps that made a difference, but I think he is around late into the evening (like midnight if you pre-clear it).

LOGISTICS: Breakfast was served promptly from 8 am (sometimes even a bit earlier), which is good if you want to get an early start. The breakfast was somewhat "industrial" (plastic-wrapped "croissants" etc.) but otherwise OK. You're quite close to the Venezia-Mestre train station, which is a 10-15 minute ride into Venice proper (Venezia-Santa Lucia). Once you figure out where the place is, it's only a five-minute walk to the train station (for brisk walkers). Trains between Mestre and Santa Lucia are quite frequent as Mestre is both a bedroom community for Venice and an employment destination in its own right.

This was so much cheaper (€45) than staying in Venice proper that I thought it was worth it. However, do not be deluded into thinking that this place has any charm. It gets the job done: a clean, inexpensive bed for a night, with a passable breakfast.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
UK
Reviewed 1 June 2013

First of all, one should be clear when booking this place that there are two halves or sides to it: the budget half and the slightly less budget half. I know this because upon arrival we were told we had to be moved only for the first night due to a problem with our booked room and we got moved to the cheap side, which is up a different flight of steps. The cheap side is probably what is getting the bad reviews on here. The nice side is the one shown on the official photos (of course)

Pros:
+ great location - 10 minutes walk to Venezia-Mestre train station from where trains leave approx. every 10-20 minutes to Venice (watery part) - also every train back from Venice stops here so you can get back pretty much any time and the tickets cost only 1.20 Euros one way.
+ The woman taking care of the place spoke very little english but she made up for this with her friendly nature and made the effort to try anyway
+ The area and accommodation are pretty quiet so you can get a good night's sleep by noisy italy's standards (I've stayed in other parts of italy where sleep is almost impossible due to the noise)
+ Besides what others mention, and aside from the park with undesirable types hanging around, the area seemed safe to us, we had no problems
+ The rooms on the "nice" side of the B&B are actually quite nice and we were able to sleep well on the beds

Neutral points:
- breakfast is OK (good coffee!), a few croissants and corn flakes, a bit bland but OK
- shared bathrooms were OK (separate men's and women's on the "luxury" side of the B&B)

Cons:
- Yes this place has shared bathrooms, which is normally not too bad as there are only a few rooms to share with but other places that have no en-suite bathrooms at least usually give you a sink. Not here. There is not even a sink in the rooms
- On the cheap side you have to provide your own soap and toilet paper which is inconvenient, especially as we weren't prepared for this (luckily not on the more expensive side)
- I actually feel a bit cheated because when they moved us to the budget side of the hostel for the first night they should have refunded part of the cost since the quality was obviously much lower (bed was worse, sheets worse, no carpet, no toiletries)
- Although I mentioned the staff attitude as good, it's still a con that english was not spoken in this B&B which meant discussing anything was a pain - I also speak 2 other languages besides english (one is german) but this did not help either
- Payment is taken up-front which I feel is a bit cheeky before you've even had a chance to see the room - we took the risk anyway
- for the price this B&B does not offer enough in my opinion

Room Tip: if you have a way to identify which side of the B&B you're getting a room in, make sure it...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Vaskez
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 17 May 2013

I could post a pic which is nothing like the one above. Unbelievable that people can deceive like this. It is not worth the nightly rate, not even close.
No love has gone into this B&B. On arrival you need to climb 5 flights to check in with suitcase in hand. The rooms are next door. Keys are difficult to use. The beds and pillows are hard. Only a sheet on the bed on arrival. No air, no fan. I would not recommend this place at all.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Lyon, France
Reviewed 12 May 2013

I stayed here at the beginning of May. It’s a bit old-fashioned but I had a very nice time here. The receptionist was very nice and we chatted to her during breakfast. She always had a smile on her face and was very friendly.

The breakfast wasn’t much to be honest. If you come from the British Isles and are expecting bacon and eggs then forget it :)

I don’t know why people complain that there was a common bathroom. The bathrooms were very clean and there was hot water so I was happy, plus I don’t think there is that many rooms in the B&B so you wouldn’t be waiting long to have a shower.

The only complaint I have — even though the hostel is well located, the area wasn’t very nice. I don’t think the it was dangerous but there was a park full of 20-something wasters drinking and smoking by there. They looked pretty rough although we were never approached. Also there are prostitutes around this area but you don’t need to worry about them — apparently prostitution is tolerated in Mestre.

Anyway, I would highly recommend this B&B.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 29 July 2012

The service was very unfriendly. Not allow to leave luggage after check out. I disliked this Bed & Breakfast and would not come back and would not recommend to my friends. Stay away from this Bed & Breakfast!!!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo