“Food was okay”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 23 September 2013 via mobile

Food was okay but service was poor.
Waitress did not care about you. Place was quite empty too.

My biggist dissappointment was the bill.... the extra charges when they promissed there would not be any

Reviewed 29 July 2013

We ate here on a Friday night the place was quiet which should have told us something. The food when it arrived was mediocre at best and expensive. The waitress seemed not to care. to top it all we discovered a cover charge of 3.5euros per person was added to the bill and then 10% service charge on to the total. Will never go back.

Reviewed 25 May 2013 via mobile

Had dinner there tonight. Food was good but not anything amazing. They charged a service charge of 3.50 per person which is the highest we've had so far in Italy... And they charged a service fee for our 2 year old daughter which no other restaurant has done...... Then they also charged a 10% service fee... So our food was a total of about 40 euros but the bill was around 55 (the 10% service fee includes the service charge) I felt like it was a rip off really. And not that it's a requirement but just a side note that they don't speak English.

2  Thank Heather B
Reviewed 19 May 2013

Restaurants in the Venice area seem to have the infuriating habit of not opening until about 7 p.m. or even later. Moro's was still closed, so we went into Al Piron d'Oro instead, which looked lovely inside; but appearances can be deceptive. it wasn't a good choice. It was still empty apart from ourselves. We chose the "Special Tourist Menu" : Spaghetti done in green pesto sauce, followed by a plate of small pieces of chicken (with an odd flavour) accompanied by small pieces of unidentified vegetables, and with a small bottle of fizzy mineral water each. At 16 Euros each for the package, that should have been 32 Euros. My husband asked for a quarter-litre of white wine, which came in a small glass jug, for which we were charged 5 Euros. The meal was nice enough, though nothing very special to rave about, and we asked for the bill.
I had the exact money of 37 Euros counted out when the bill arrived; but I was
astonished to find that the bill was made out for 44 Euros, with an unexplained 7 Euro charge at the top. I called the manageress and said there was a mistake there, we haed never asked for anything that cost 7 Euros. She said that was their "coperta" i.e. cover charge "for the use of their services" in the restaurant. I thought "What a cheek!" and told her that the 16 Euros was on the menu as an all-inclusive charge, and I expected her to stick to that. The only extra had been my husband's glass of wine. Being British (and a no-nonsense person) I expected restaurant proprietors to do their sums properly, and include all their services and facilites in the price of the meal. I fully expected the price on the menu to be the price I pay, no more, no less. The menu hadn't advertised any such extras openly, so why should she slip in top-up charges "on the sly"?
I was really angry at the sneakiness of it. Then she pointed indignantly to some really small print way at the bottom of the page, in the a la carte section; yet I was sure that the set menu had said "Service included". I was getting ready to slap down the 37 Euros and just walk out in disgust; but my husband said : "OK, we've been taken by another Italian con-trick! Give her the 44 Euros, and we'll make sure we never come back!" Ever since, I refused to eat in any place which tried to lay on "Coperta"/ cover charges. Now I know why the place was empty. The food was nothing special anyway. I've made better in my own kitchen at home.

2  Thank Evelyn W
Reviewed 13 May 2013

The restaurant was pretty so we stopped in for a quick dinner while staying at a nearby hotel. Although the waitress spoke little English she was friendly and smiled a lot and we managed to communicate what we wanted by pointing at the menu. Even that though was taking a chance since everything was written in Italian only and we couldn't really read the menu. We guessed as to what we might like by picking out the few Italian words we knew. The waitress was able to explain somewhat what we were ordering. My husband had scallopini with a glass of wine. I had a penne pasta. The food was good but nothing exceptional that would cause me say "you have to eat here." The bill was 33 Euros which seemed expensive but perhaps not for Venice. For us, tired and hungry after a long day of traveling, it served its purpose but that's about it. It wasn't what we would call a memorable evening.