“Good value if you don't mind not being in Venice proper, nice staff”
Review of Hotel Piave

Hotel Piave
Ranked #50 of 58 Hotels in Mestre
Reviewed 29 July 2011

My fiance and I decided to book this room due to the reviews from Tripadvisor. We really didn't want to spent over $250/ night staying in Venice in a two star hotel, so this was our best bet. We spent $110/night and it was well worth it. The hotel is located about a five minute walk from the Mestre train station. It is a convenient location from the station. There are a few cafes in walking distance but we always had dinner in Venice and then took the bus or train back to the hotel.

The staff is wonderful here. They speak great English and can answer any questions you may have. They have internet available (first 15 minutes are free) and it is available 24 hours a day in their computer room. They also had a breakfast buffet, but my fiance and I didn't partake in it. It did look like a typical European spread, breads, cheese, juice, and looked great. For about 2 euros though you could get a sandwich and coffee at the store next door to the hotel. Just a tip.

The beds in this hotel were fine, but the room was very small (we got the room with a private bathroom). If you open the window you will definitely hear the road outside, but it is not a loud street. The bathroom was surprisingly large for this hotel (since the room was so small). I would rate this hotel a 2.5 star overall. It would do for one or two nights, but not any more. If you are a larger person, beware of the shower as it is extremely small and I cannot see any larger people being able to move in it.

The one downside to this hotel is that you can hear the hallway noise from the room. There is not a lot of noise barrier from the walls, but it was a fine place to stay in just to sleep.

I would recommend this hotel to the budget traveler who does not want to spend hundreds of dollars for the same star hotel in Venice. It was worh it.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank xichic

Reviewed 23 July 2011

The hotel is very easy to reach by bus or train. In just 15 minutes you will be in the centre of venice. I bought the venice travel card which included even the transport to the airport. I did not have to buy any extra tickets for transport. The bus No 2 stops just 100 metres away which is excellent. Even the 15 bus to the airport although presently there are some roadworks( so ask about the 15). The breakfast was very good with a variety of choices to start the day. The reception staff were excellent and very helpful.
On the negative note, we had a quadruple room which was extremely small. Having a shower without a proper shower cubicle was an adventure of water splashing on all the bathroom floor. You have to wipe the floor if you want to re enter. Free internet is just 15 minutes for the whole stay. TV need some upgrade.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank cartravel
Reviewed 19 July 2011

It's 7 minutes walk to the Mestre railway station. There is a bus stop 2 minutes away from the hotel.
The reception staff speak English very well, I guess one of them is American who was very helpful and attended to our aid quickly when the bathroom lights weren't working. Venice maps were given to us and all information need as well.
The train from Mestre to Venice costs 1.05 Euro and takes 15 minutes to get there. Bus ticket costs 1.20 Euros. If you're going to the airport you take bus 15 and the stop is 2 minutes away so no need to drag your luggage to the station.

The breakfast buffet was good and frequently refilled. The rooms weren't spacious but it was suitable. I loved the two masks picture painted on the closet.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 June 2011

Well me and my mum wanted to do venice as cheap as possible. Somehow my mum mixed us the reservations and we turned up at the hotel not being booked in till a month later. They were very understanding and checked us into a room, however the price was abit steep £100 p/n for twin room. Hotel was lovely, decorated Italian. Loved the wardrobes and the room even had a jet bath !!! (Easily excited) Clean and i could not fault the room.The hotel staff was lovely, expecially the male receptionist. Was really helpful and made our stay at the hotel. Showed us the best parts in venice, how to get there etc. The breakfast was lovely and staff were cheery. Breakfast was huge could easily fill you up with all cakes and everything. Bonus- On checkout you can leave your luggage there allday and collect later. Oh and internet signal is abit dodge too, first 15 mins free than apparently it costs you, however i never went over.
Mestre however i do not advise to stay there, i would rather have paid the extra money and stayed in Venice or Lido de Venezia, was beautiful and we stayed our remaining days there. Mestre was full of pervy men who can be a little intimidating we were scared to be out at dark, because it was too much, big gangs of men on the road and green. Mestre people were really unfriendly also, from Macdonalds service to Internet shops, Rail travel, all seemed to have a problem with English, or maybe it was just me and my mum lol. I definately would not stay in Mestre again, however cheap as you don't get the best of Italian culture. Its feels more dodgey and as my mum would sum it up 'The bronx.' However It is a ten minute journey to Venice via train, train tickets were cheap, not worth buying them as they were never checked and trains run regulary.
However overall i give Piave Hotel- 6/10. I reccomend the hotel just not the location.

• Stayed: May 2011
1  Thank Danni-2109
Reviewed 7 June 2011

The hotel is in Mestre, 15 mins by train or 25 by bus number 2 to Venice. We (my husband and I) were initially looking for something more central, but prices were sky-high, so we opted for this hotel, and we did not regret our choice.
Staff... well, this seems to be a hot point in most reviews: our first meeting with staff was a baldish and cinical guy at the reception who enjoyed making some little pseudo-funny remarks on anything and everything . Anyway, I cannot say we experienced a lack of service: he took us to our room, which was located in a dependance in a different building round the corner, gave us a city map with some travel info, and allowed my husband to print our boarding passes for our flight to Stockholm, which we appreciated.
The room was great! It was a large quadruple, with 2 double beds, tv, fridge, large bathroom, 4 windows, and very, very clean. 10/10!
There's a supermarket on the high street with a good selection of cheeses and hams, including local ones.
We went to Venice by bus, and when we came back and went to the reception to get our keys there was a different guy, who was having a loud conversation in a pretty surreal English with a guest of the hotel. The topic was air-con...: "No, I not turn on the air conditioning, if you are hot you must open window. No, i turn on air conditioning when is hot, very hot. Open the window" and literally put the phone down there and then. Now, there were 25 degrees, and it was very humid, it WAS hot! Luckily we were in the other building, which felt cooler. His attitude was something!
Breakfast costs 8 euros, but I can assure you it's worth it: one of the best breakfasts we had in Italy! Croissants, butter, jams, honey, salami, ham, cheeses, cereals, fruit salad, juices,white and wholemeal bread, biscuits, teas, milk, yoghurt, coffe/cappuccino machine... plenty of choice!
On our second evening there was a really nice, polite and helpful guy at the reception. He kindly enquired if we needed anything, we chatted a bit about where we were from, our wedding, where we were directed... he double checked (unprompted!) our airport coach timetable for the following morning, and it turned out we had the wrong info, if he hadn't checked we would have missed it! The morning after he called a taxi ffor us to get to the coach station (it's not far away, but at 6:30am dragging your luggage about is not very funny).
The only flipside we experienced: some prostitutes in the neighbourhood, but having said that, we just tried not to pay attention.
One general advice: take with you some mosquitoes repellent, in Venice you'll need it!
We would go back and recommend this hotel, it was not expensive, it's clean, breakfast is great and Venezia is easily and quickly reachable :)

Room Tip: try to get a room in the dependance
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Delfina71
Reviewed 6 June 2011

For all the earlier reviews regarding the staff, my daughter and I found them absolutely lovely and really helpful. Maybe other visitors to the hotel acted rude because what we experienced at arrival was they immediately put you at ease and the person who welcomed us spoke really great english and was easy on the eye lol. The rooms were immaculate and the bath you could turn it into a jacuzzi. The pics on this site do no justice to the hotel, i was expecting a horrible bathroom but it was actually one of the nicest bathrooms i have ever seen. Breakfast was better here than a 4 star hotel we stayed at on the same trip. Great hotel would highly recommend x

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank carla10005
Reviewed 6 June 2011

My friends and I stayed in this hotel for one night whilst in Venice as we couldn't find budget accommodation in the city on such short notice. Directions from the train station were good (only a ten minute walk - also good), but we quickly felt that the area wasn't wonderful - lots of people sitting around in the area and we felt slightly ill-at-ease.

On checking in, the guy at reception left us rather frustrated. He was really unfriendly, unhelpful, recommended the most expensive restaurant in the area. He insisted on holding all of our passports and to our horror stored them with the room keys behind reception - literally in the pidgeon holes behind a wooden screen that slides... we saw some other passports there too... EXTRAORDINARILY DODGY AND UNSAFE PRACTICE. I'm rather attached to my passport and the potential to go missing there is dreadful.

He offered us breakfast for €8 per person... for a continental breakfast! At least twice as much as it'd cost elsewhere. Needless to say we declined.

He informed us that we'd be staying in a building next to Hotel Aaron around the corner... in other hotels somebody would bring you around but nope... found our own way.

Can't specifically remember the WiFi prices other than that they looked way more expensive than everywhere else we'd stayed and we didn't avail of it for that reason.

The room itself... beds were fine, surprised pleasantly to find a fridge, tv, clean bathroom with hot shower. However, the shower is in a bathtub with NO WALL FITTING, and NO SHOWER CURTAIN/WATERGUARD. Pretty ridiculous and uncomfortable.

We paid €33 per person per night which in hindsight is a reasonable price but the whole experience left us cold. Not happy. Would not recommend. Definitely not.

Room Tip: try another hostel/hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends