On Priceline, I made a bid of USD100 per night and was supposedly given a 4 star hotel but ended up with this hotel instead ;( On checking Tripadvisor, I was shocked to see so many unhappy reviewers on TripAdvisor and on checking the hotel's website, I was even more shocked to find they are offering double rooms at EUR59 per night which at EUR178 for 3 nights is at 45% discount to the total price (USD343=EUR258) I paid via PRICELINE!
Priceline's response (standard) is as follows:
"We evaluate each participating property on many different criteria, including cleanliness, guest satisfaction, decor, etc. We screen participating hotels carefully and update our information constantly to ensure that you always receive the best available hotel.
We are sorry to hear that you feel that this hotel does not meet your expectations. While placing your request, you agreed to accept 4 or higher star hotel within the area(s) you selected. Hotel Apogia Sirio Mestre does have a 4 star rating.
All properties offered through priceline.com have been evaluated according to the specific star level standards that we have developed exclusively for our program and described on our web site. While you may feel that this property should have a different star rating or is rated
differently by other groups, we are confident that our evaluation of this property will meet your expectations.
When you placed your request, you selected the area you wanted to stay in and the star level of the hotel. When we found a hotel that matched your specifications, we immediately booked your reservation in order to lock in your rate and reservations cannot be changed or canceled, your reservations are non-refundable.
You must call us within 24 hours of making your priceline.com purchase and prior to your travel date, if you have a valid Best Price Guarantee claim. Please call 1-800-PRICELINE if you live within the U.S. or Canada. If you are outside of the U.S. or Canada, please dial
Hence I was stuck with this unfortunate situation and I had to go through the same horrible experience as the poor past reviewers did:
1) Location: Although it is not in the middle of nowhere & there's a bus-stop 2 minutes away which takes you to the Mestre train station (3mins) and Venice (12mins), the immediate surrounding area is populated by grime, shuttered shops, a fistful of small bars and trattorias, tiny forex/internet cafes, oriental grocery shops & general suburbia; nothing pretty nothing grand nothing much.. the only gem is the family Italian restaurant a couple of steps next to the hotel with the amazing 2.5 storey log wood oven inside and delicious thick grilled pork chop for EUR7! There's also a public swimming pool where the bus stop is, which can be a relief from the summer heat but is at EUR6 per person and the lap lengths are 25m only.
2) Rooms: Small, dated furniture, boring colors, uncomfortable beds, stained sink & grimy tiling, horrible bathroom amenities (hard soaps/foul smelling sachet shampoo), thin walls (woken up at 4am one night by the neighbour using their hair-dryer - a few sharp knocks on the wall sorted them out).. aircond is very strong & powerful though and my Italian has greatly improved from watching the TV since there are no English channels..
3) Staff: The phones don't work so you can't even call the staff and some staff are... shy? A response of: "No free internet; everyone must pay! EUR3 an hour" and he hurries to attend to something behind him and turns his back to you. Another man of a more jovial disposition would half-joke: "Look at the internet! Everything there!" before waving you goodbye. The ladies are more helpful with information on bus tickets (much cheaper to buy at the counter compared to on the bus), additional shampoo (nice smelling in tube form), maps, etc.
4) Food: We didn't dare try the breakfast for the first 2 days after the scoffing reviews on Tripadvisor but had to on the last day as we were rushing for the train and were pleasantly surprised that the food was actually.. edible.
Summary: We noticed tourist buses continually parked outside the hotel - guess this is the kind of border-town hotel with a semi-fancy lobby area for the brochure shots & substandard rooms & service best for big tour groups with tourists who just want to be put up for a night on their way to see Venice!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- LOCATION a strategic location for your holiday HOW REACH US ? 15 Minutes from Venice! BY PLANE Only 20 minutes from the Airport Venice Marco Polo to the Hotel Sirio Venice.Leaving the airport you have to take the bus ATVO up to Mestre's station. Ticket's price is 6 € per person, luggage included. When you arrive at the station take the bus, line 2, direction Viale Don Sturzo up to the stop Hotel Piscina Coni. BY TRAIN It is possible arrive to the central station of Mestre in only 20 minutes on foot or if you want you can reach the Hotel in 5 minutes with the bus line 2 direction Viale Don Sturzo. The bus stop is Piscina Coni. BY CAR Depending on the origin choise the motorway exit Venice Center or Venice Est. On the orbital road take the Castellana exit and continue to the center of Mestre.Continue> HOTEL APOGIA SIRIO VENICE Located in the centre of Mestre, our Hotel Apogia Sirio is very close to the pedestrian area of the historical centre and the new Towers, and only 200 meters away from the new tram station, from where it is possible to reach Mestre railway station in few minutes. The Hotel Sirio in Venice Mestre is also in easy reach from the motorway exit of Castellana. The Hotel provides to its clients a full day reception service, a payment parking with restricted access, a internet point, free wifi, conference and meeting room. Apogia Sirio Venice is furnished of a bar and a restaurant in which it's possible to taste International and Regional dishes. The large air-conditioned conference room of the Hotel in Mestre in Italy is fully equipped for audio and visual presentations. The Hotel will make your stay in Venice an art city that is unique in the whole world - an absolutely memorable one, also through the variety of its comforts and its reliable and expert staff. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , Booking.com, LoveHolidays, Lastminute, Prestigia, Odigeo, Agoda, Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Apogia Sirio Venice reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Apogia Sirio Venice Hotel Mestre
- Sirio Hotel Bassano Del Grappa
- Apogia Sirio Venice Province Of Venice/Mestre