“if I could give zero I would”
Review of Hotel Centrale

Hotel Centrale
Ranked #51 of 58 Hotels in Mestre
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“if I could give zero I would”
Reviewed 12 August 2013

people were having drunken fist fights outside the room for good portion of the night and from the way they were bashing against the door it was a wonder they didn't break into my 'room', the rest of the night I was subjected to arguments an a group of school girls phoning random rooms- the walls are so thin they might as well have been phoning my room. Room was so small I could nearly touch either wall a the same time, the shower room was so small it could only fit a sliding door - the bathroom in my cabin was bigger! The staff at the desk were not at all interested in trying to sort out the ongoing nighttime shenanigans. If you have been dumped here before and/or after a cruise, run away! If you are here after backpacking on a minimal budget it will probably suffice (although I have stayed in better open camp sites on the Masai than this!). It is not in Venice so you will need bus/train/taxi in (about 25 mins by taxi and 30-40 euros each way). it was so bad that I paid extra and went to the Garden Resort for 7 euros extra it was worth every penny!

Room Tip: go somewhere else
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Clubclassy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2013

We stayed in a twin room for four nights. Our tour operator had booked us a double and even though this was wrong and they had assured me that it had been corrected, we were given a double room. However, the staff quickly sorted this out and we were given a twin.I have read some of the other reviews and I think that for the money you pay, this hotel is really good value. I have stayed in far worse three star hotels than this. The rooms are cleaned every day and your bed linen is changed and you have clean towels. Some of the staff are friendly and one is very rude! However, I think this has a lot to do with the culture. The breakfast is awful. The coffee is the worst I have ever tasted and comes from a machine. However the rolls are fresh and if you get there early enough there are yoghurts and cheese and ham slices. Get the number seven bus over the road to venice and you can buy passes at the shop next door to the hotel. The heat is overwhelming but what I loved about staying outside of venice was that you get to see local people and how they live. Italians on the bus were very friendly and one boy stood up and gave me his seat. It seemed a source of constant amusement to them that we were so hot but they were nice and liked to try to chat. Around the corner from the hotel is a shopping area and this is where you see Italy. In the evening the restaurants and cafes open and there are violin players and entertainers in the square. We were the only English people there so came across as a bit of a novelty, so staying in this hotel has its pluses, because you get off the beaten track. If i could stay anywhere in venice though, it would be the lido, close to the beach and again a very European feel about the cafes and shops. Be prepared for the heat which is 100 degrees and up and the boats around venice are very hot and crowded. I feel that I got value for money at this hotel and I really enjoyed getting a birds eye view of the Italians and some of their culture.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Joanne M
Neath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2013

We stayed for three nights in hotel centrale in April 2013. Got on the wrong bus but still managed to end up right around the corner from the hotel. Staff were friendly and very helpful with where to eat.
Room was ok but abit dated, someone had pinched the plug from the tv but the manager quickly sorted it for us. Room and bathroom was very clean however no clean towels or bedding were provided for the three nights! We were on the fourth floor not far from the lift which sometimes got a bit noisy. It was absolutely boiling but were told air conditioning doesn't go on until May and when sleeping with the window open we heard a lot of traffic and gnats coming in.
Breakfast made us laugh all cakes and fruit juice a fat mans dream, coffee was the worst ever for italy I was disappointed. You get what you pay for but we only used it to rest at night as we spent all day in Venice.
We bought all day passes for around 10 euros which could be used on buses and water taxis in Venice which saved us a lot of money. Bought from local tobacconist.
Don't go to the supermarket across the road...if you turn right when you come out of the hotel and keep walking there's a cheaper supermarket which is a bit like Lidls had good wine for 2 euros a bottle and cans of Bavaria larger for 40p each! The one across the road was charging stupid prices.
There is a lovely buffet style restaurant down by the Lidl type supermarket and good prices and local kebab shops which do the most amazing pizza. Meals for 2 for 10 euros.

I did feel a little on edge walking around at night I'm just glad my boyfriend was with me. The locals in the shops/ restaurants spoke fairly good English which was helpful.

All in all I would return as it was a lot cheaper than staying in Venice anything longer than 3 nights and I would pay more to stay somewhere a bit better.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Kelly P
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 3 August 2013

This hotel is in Mestre, a town close to Venice. It nos expensive, but not cheap either.
If you are looking for a place to stay for a couple of nights while visiting Venice, then it's ok. But it has not really much to offer. You pay the for a room, and that is what you get. A small room, with a toilet. It looked old, was small, but at least everything seemed to work.

Now, if you want to use internet, you will have to pay extra, and the price for that was really expensive. Better look for other places to use internet if you really need to.
Breakfast was not included, and the employees that I meet where not rude, but not nice either.

So, if you are going to stay for not more than two nights, and you are not looking for something fancy, then it is fine. But don't expect anything what you haven't paid for, not even a smile.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Andreas H
NY
Reviewed 30 July 2013 via mobile

If you are on a tight budget and want a hotel somewhat near a bus route into the city central then look no further. It's pretty much a 2.5star hotel. The room doesn't have any amenities and don't ask the front desk for iron....they will advice you that it's against local coding and a fire hazard(unheard off) but if you go outside of the hotel and across the street there is a small supermarket and some half way decent restaurant for a bite. But please don't have high expectations regarding the hotel. A place where you can get rest and yes a very basic breakfast.

• Stayed August 2012
5 Thank luv2fly73
Milton Keynes
Reviewed 28 July 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights in total- a night either end of a week long cruise.
The first night was shocking- the room faced out on to the square outside which was full of drunks that were still out there when I woke the next day! I also got bitten pretty Badly at the hotel by something - so bad that I had to go to the infirmary on the ship later on in the day.
A couple of the reception staff were extremely rude.
The location is no where near Venice- the hotel is right near a bus stop though and for €1 the bus will drop you at The Piazza Roma. You do have to buy bus tickets from the shop next to the bus stop. I didn't realise this until after but I have spoken to people who were asked to get off the bus without a pre-purchased ticket.
There is a big Piazza behind the hotel but I didn't feel comfortable walking around in the evening because it felt more of a place for locals than tourists.
The rooms are extremely dated and need complete refurbishment.
The hotel also offer day tours in to / around Venice.
Don't bother with breakfast either unless stale bread / pastries seem appealing.
We only stayed for a night and took our bags with us to Venice- there is a bag drop shop next to the entrance to the people mover in the Piazza Roma- well worth €7 to drop your case for the day and its open from 6am until late.
All in all I was pretty disappointed with the hotel. I will return to Venice but not to Hotel Centrale.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Jayemk

Travellers are raving about these Mestre hotels

Reviewed 18 July 2013

Our first room had a powercut for a day the electricity waSnt working so at 6pm we asked the guy at reception to come a check it he said he would e there in 5mins - we waited 20 an were going to be late for a show so we showered in the dark and left. We can back at 00:30am and still no electricity - the clerk had done nothing so we went back downstairs to a new man who was more helpful and came up straight away but couldn't fix it so at 1am we had to swap rooms which is obviously a huge inconvenience. In the new room the Sheets were dirty had brown smears on them we now had two single beds instead of a double and it was significantly smaller than the first. Dirty shower and wet floors/ toilet seat. In the morning a new clerk was there so we complained to him and he said well I can't do anything there's nothing I will do. Nothing for our inconvenience wasted time, just head shaking and an uncomfortable nights sleep.

• Stayed July 2013