“A absolute gem”

Hilton Garden Inn Venice Mestre San Giuliano
Ranked #5 of 58 Hotels in Mestre
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 11 July 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights in early July in a twin room with breakfast.
I can highly recommend this hotel and would gladly go back again, when we landed at marco polo airport, we got our 72 hour bus and river boat pass and got the number 5 bus to the hotel, this took 15 minutes to get to the hotel, when we arrived it was 10am so thought we would not have our room available but to our surprise they did and we were more than happy.To get to Venice centre you get either the bus number 5 or 19 and it only takes 10 minutes getting there which is another plus.
the buffet breakfast on offer is more than adequate and a good selection of food available, there is also a good size swimming pool. I would recommend people not going in july because of the heat, when you are walking around in 90f weather it is sometimes unbearable so going at a different time of year would be my advice, other than that i loved Venice and would gladly come back again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,725)

Reviewed 10 July 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights in June. It was a great hotel. Nice rooms, very friendly staff, easy access to Venice proper.

Cost about 20 Euro to take a taxi from the Mestre train station to the hotel. Got a day pass for the bus/vaporetto to get into and around Venice - about 18 Euro. Well worth it to be able to hop on any mode of transport. The bus stops right outside the hotel at the edge of the driveway. Very easy! Simple to get into Venice and back. I booked the hotel shuttle for 12 Euro to get back to the Mestre train station.

The biggest drawback I found (and partly because of timing and lack of exploration) was the lack of super close stores/markets to stock the room's fridge. There were a few gas stations nearby that might have worked but I was there on a Sunday and they were closed when I returned to the hotel. HGI's have the 24 hour pantry, but except for drinks and chips I didn't find much that I wanted. Maybe get stuff from the station or stock up while on Venice island.

Definitely a great alternative to the expensive rooms on Venice itself.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank whovian10
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Booked double queen with breakfast arrived around 12:30 no problems checking in. Found room good and soundproof from corridor noise but just no air in the place. Made the mistake of opening window just to get some moisture in the air and let in an invasion of Mosquitos. Had to leave after 3 days due to family crisis but found checking out a chore as out of 3 staff at the desk only 1 had a clue to what to do with an early departure. Breakfast plentiful and staff more competent than led to believe in other reviews. As for location couldn't be better, easy to get into Venice as bus stops right outside. Took a walk round area to the rear of hotel via single lane road found contemporary church along with small super market and chemist in an area you wouldn't go after dark. Didn't get chance to use pool but don't think I'd have felt too comfortable having a morning dip during breakfast sitting.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PaulfSharp
Reviewed 9 July 2012

My Wife and I took a last minute trip to Venice and scrambled to find a hotel. We attempted first to try Venice proper, but quickly changed our minds when we saw the size and the cost of the rooms. We decided to use our Hilton points to stay at this new Hilton Garden Inn in Mestre. Mestre is only a 10 min. bus trip to Venice proper. The Inn is very well appointed with a nice restaurant (breakfast is included there), a bar with a lounge, business center, fitness center, room service, a convenient store and a beautiful large pool (one of which you would be very hard pressed to find...if at all in Venice proper). Italy was boiling hot so we spent the morning in Venice and then after lunch headed back to our hotel and relaxed by the pool until it was time to return for dinner and a stroll through the town eating gelato. The front desk employees were very kind, helpful and attentive. They all spoke English very well and always greeted you with their beautiful Italian smiles. The room was very modern, clean and well air conditioned. I know staying in Venice is an experience, but please do not be discouraged that this hotel is in Mestre...Like already said only 10 minutes by bus. We bought a Venice bus pass that also allowed us to use the water taxis any bus line and even the bus to and from the airport. We quickly paid the ticket off with our multiple excursions to the islands and around venice and mestre. We bought the ticket at the airport and I believe it was for 7 days at 50 Euro a pop. Keep in mind when going to Venice if you have time for a side trip Verona is within an hour train trip from Mestre stazione. It goes through some beautiful Italian countryside and through other romantic towns like Paduva and Vicenza along the way. Bon viaggio!

1  Thank Marazzani
Reviewed 9 July 2012

We came to visit Venice for just one weekend and I have to say that we booked the "Hilton Garden Inn Mestre" just by coincidence without knowing anything about the Hotel. It was an offer from a travel agency.
After staying there for two nights and visiting Venice I would sum up like this:

If you prefer not to stay in an old moldy palazzo (with flickering lusters, dusty carpets and weakly beds) in the overcrowded and noisy city of Venice but in a modern, clean, airconditioned and well maintained Hotel with bright furniture, excellent beds, comfortable bath rooms and free WiFi then go to the Hilton Garden Inn Mestre! We had a room at the 5th floor on the back side of the Hotel. The room was absolutely quiet. I talked to other guests and they told me that the rooms towards the main street were quiet as well. The ice-machine is in front of the elevator; I don´t think that any room will be disturbed by these noises.
Check-in and check out was very easy and the staff at the reception was highly professional, helpful and very friendly. You can buy as well tickets for the public transport at the reception.
As I think that the public transport system (ACTV) is the best way to explore the region of Venice the Hilton Garden Inn is perfectly located on the half way between the Marco Polo Airport and the “Piazzale Roma” station (=central bus stop, you can change here for most of the “Vaporettos” as well).
The bus station of the bus “5” (aerobus) is exactly in front of the hotel. The name of the stop is “Via Orlanda” (former Hotel Capitol). A hint: as you have to give a sign to the driver when you want to leave the bus at the next stop here is a little help for those who are coming from the Airport: just sit at the right side or in the front of the bus. After approximately 10 minutes of drive (depends on the traffic and the driver) when you can see the hotel “Primavera” on the right hand side press the button to give the signal to the driver to stop.
Going from the Hotel to the City take the bus “5” in front and leave the bus 10 minutes later at the final station “Piazzale Roma”. We had ordered a “ACTV-48h Ticket” (including the way from and to the Airport) through the “Venice connected” site in the internet. After paying you will get there a PNR-Code. Arriving at the airport go out of the arrival-hall, straight to the ticket machine near the bus stop and convert there your PNR-Code into the ticket, which you have to validate each time you want travel with this card (electronic machines for this validation are in the busses or at the vaporetto stations). It´s very easy.
The restaurant at the Hilton Garden Inn offers breakfast-buffet. There is a sufficient choice (I just missed only the potatoes) and the quality of the food was good. In other reviews I could read several times that the staff at the breakfast-restaurant wasn´t friendly and helpful. For my opinion, they were very friendly and helpful but they were not the quickest. I can imagine that some guests can have problems with that, when they want to have breakfast at the peak times and they cannot find a clean table. As we went early to the restaurant we didn´t have any problems like that. By the way, I would recommend to start the day early in Venice, because doing so you can avoid at least a part of the crowd at some places.
In the Lobby a Bar is open until 10.30 pm. If you want to have a drink after this time there is no problem: you can buy cold beverages and some other kind of things you my need for your stay in a little shop at the reception.
The Hilton Garden Inn has a nice pool and garden as well (pool towels are available near the shower).
Alltogether I can recommend the “Hilton Garden Inn Mestre” and whenever travelling again to Venice this Hotel will be our first choice.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Pierrealoha
Reviewed 7 July 2012

I won't go through the good points, they have already been made and mostly very true, location rooms etc.but let me warn you if you are thinking of booking for a Thursday night make sure you get a room not overlooking the pool.

When you book a hotel you are consious of noise from inconsiderate guests etc. but this is the first time I have had a very inconsiderate hotel who don't care about people sleeping.

There was a private pool party, which I was advised happens every Thursday, and is contracted, from 7pm until 11pm and there is very loud disco music with with base turned up to maximum for the whole period. This made trying to relax or get an early night impossible it was very intrusive even in our room which was on the top floor with the persistant boom boom boom, if you know what I mean. I complained and asked to change rooms but was advised that hotel was full and not possible. To make matters worse after it had finnished there was the clearing away and then late night revellers swimming shouting and screaming until about 1am. I asked the night manager if he could get it stopped as pool was shut from 8.30pm only to be told he would try but they don't have security and if they refused?
No security in a Hotel like this beware.
I complained the next morning after a very bad night to be told by the staff that they dread Friday mornings on duty because of the complaints and irate guests, they thought it bad from the Hotel's piont of view and wished it was stopped.

Who ever owns this hotel should not be allowed a Hilton franchise with this kind of behavour and I shall be writting to Hilton Hotels about it. You never know someone might listern.

I have gone on a bit but believe me it was very bad and I wanted to advise readers before it happens to them. Only one other thing, yes, as other contributors have said, the food and service is not very good in the restaurant.

You have been warned.

7  Thank ABritEnglandUK
Reviewed 30 June 2012

This is a great hotel and very close to Venice. Here are a few tips that help:

1. The hotel is only accessible driving south on the highway in front of it (the hotel is on the right...you will recognize the tower by the photo on their website). The hotel parking lot entrance goes by fast, but you won't miss it if you look for a pedestrian overpass that connects the bus stops on both sides of the highway. There are bus waiting shelters below the overpass and the entrance is about 100 feet before you come to them. If you miss the entrance you can drive backwards down the exit which is just past the bus shelter...I'm not recommending that, but I did it. You can park outside or in the underground garage...the entrance is on the right just after the sidewalk to the hotel entrance.

2. The people at the desk will sell you a bus ticket to go into Venice. It is cheap and drops you off right by a bridge so you're on the tourist map right away. Take the same bus back to the hotel and press the button to have the buss stop when you are just short of that pedestrian overpass mentioned above.

3. The rooms are nice...modern design...and have high-tech lighting. The light buttons are a little tricky...they are also dimmers...just keep pushing them to get the light-leve you want. The button to turn off the room light is between the beds in the double-queen bedrooms. We had a hell of time finding it, but it is plain as day once you know where to look.

4. If you fly out from Marco Polo, don't follow the signs for the freeway. They take you there eventually, but it takes forever. It is much faster to follow the street that runs by the hotel going north. If you find yourself on an interstate-like highway, you are going the long way. The hotel is only a few miles from the airport by way of the road I'm recommending.

5. When you drive out of the hotel parking lot you are going south. There is a traffic circle in a hundred yards or so, and you leave it 3/4ths of the way around (going east towards Venice)...don't worry about it...there is a U-Turn in about 1/4 mile follow it around to your left (of course) and then turn right off that going north on the road in front of the hotel. Since the pedestrian cross bridge is in front of the hotel you'll have a nice visual cue to steer by. This whole dance only takes a couple of minutes...you only drive about a mile out of the way...maybe less.

I wrote a lot, and I hope this doesn't sound like it would be difficult. It was very easy and a great place to stay. I'd much rather stay here than in Venice which is a bit to crowded for my taste. And since you can get into Venice and out so easily there is no reason to stay there.

Room Tip: The rooms all seem nice. The hotel is quiet, but you may prefer the pool side to the highway side...