“Great place”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
“Great place”
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Stayed here with my husband and Daughter for 5 nights and enjoyed our stay. The hotel is away from venice but with very easy transport links to venice island. Buses 5 or 19 stop outside the hotel and reception staff are so helpful they will sort you out with both bus and water bus tickets and give u a map with directions.

The hotel is modern and comfortable with a lovely pool . We got the hotel airport shuttle which is 14 euros each way per room just send them an email to arrange this before you arrive. Enjoyed our stay very much and would go again.

Room Tip: Corner suite
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank hertsBabs

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Helmond, The Netherlands
Reviewed 20 August 2014

fab 3days in the hilton, good hotel to visit venice , stayed here 2 nights before leaving on a cruise from venice, good breakfast and very clean rooms for a good price lovely staff very helpful, lovely swimming pool in the gardens.......

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Hoover
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I was uncertain as to where to stay for my first-ever trip to Venice, but when I added the fact that I wanted to use my Hilton points to the Hilton search, the only reasonably-priced option was the Hilton Garden Inn-Venice/Mestre. As things turned out, this was a great place to stay.

When I checked in, I met two really friendly and entertaining reception agents, Alex and Federico, who not only made me feel welcome, but doubled as concierges on the evening shift. The told me all about the hotel, the area, how to get to Venice itself (the hotel is about a 7-8 minute bus ride from the actual city - no big deal at all), the fact that the restaurant next door was really good and served Italian food (as opposed to the hotel restaurant, which was a US-style international menu typical of Hilton Garden Inns), etc. Alex' English is perfect, and Federico comes in with a close second in that regard. They banter back and forth, which is entertaining, and have a real rapport with the guests as well, but if any problems arise, they drop everything and put the customer's needs ahead of everything. (Although it may date my childhood, they reminded me of the cartoon characters Hekyl and Jekyl.)

This was the start of a great series of interactions with every front desk and management person I met, including the GM. These folks could not be more helpful and deserve a lot of credit for making my stay special. I was especially impressed at the way they solved a unique problem for another guest, and the extra mile Alex went to help that challenged visitor.

My room was on the first floor (not the lobby floor - European hotels usually list the lobby floor as "0"), overlooking the pool. The room itself was excellent - the bed was very comfortable, the TV was a new flat-screen HD product, hot water was fine, bathroom amenities were standard Neutrogena products you find at all HGIs, the shower was over-sized with both the wall mounted overhead and a vacuum cleaner-nozzle attachment, towels were fine, soaps and body wash were available, etc. Although I'd heard about complaints that the wireless was so-so, I had no problems at all, including downloading video - perhaps they've upgraded recently. The room even had a sitz bath, something I don't use, but that seems to show up in European hotels.

I had seen some reviews that complained about the fact that you had to take a bus to Venice. Yes, that's true, but the bus stops in front of the hotel and only makes one or two stops before dropping you off at the central bus station in Venice, from which you can cross any one of five bridges and start your exploration, or even board a water shuttle if you are too tired or want an immediate taste of the Venetian lifestyle. I had no problems with return trips, either - the second stop on the #5 bus was across the street from the hotel. For my buck, the 7-8 minutes on the bus was nothing but an opportunity to meet more people and enjoy the day...and getting away from the hustle and bustle was kind of cool when all was said and done.

One thing the hotel staff recommended, and I'm glad I listened: buy the multi-day, unlimited-use mass transit pass. My two-day pass was 30 Euros, and I used it for six bus rides and eight water taxis (which would have been 7E each) - its a really good value.

When it came time to figure out tours, Chiara and the GM stepped up big-time. Both highly recommended an 8 p.m. "Mystery, Murder and Mayhem" tour that turned out to be terrific (a 90-minute walk through some of the darker locales and history, including the stories of the Butcher of Venice, the Street of the Assassins, etc., as well as secret passages, ghosts and legends - I reviewed this a week or so ago so look for those details elsewhere).

They also showed me the way to get to everything from the Jewish Ghetto (the first one in Europe, sadly) to St. Mark's Square (the highlight of the city because the Doge Palace and the Cathedral are there, among other things - don't miss the Correr Museum), providing a good map - before Federico stepped in with an even better one (because he knew I was an American and he didn't want me to get lost!!). More importantly, they gave very accurate info as to how long it would take to get from place to place and how much time each site would need.

Another recommendation came from Chiara, who said I should take the water shuttle out to Torcello, the original settlement in the Venice area dating back to before the time of Jesus of Nazareth. It was quite fascinating, and even though the bell tower part of the Cathedral on that island was closed, the sanctuary was open and features some incredible artwork and an adjacent museum. On the way back, I stopped at Burano, not so much for its world-famous lace stores but to sample the incredible baked goods and see the multi-colored homes.

But back to the hotel...the pool is really nice, the bar next to it works well, etc. The restaurant just down the block from the hotel stays open late and has a wide range of Italian food, from really good pizza to fine gnocchis...and plenty of adult beverages at reasonable prices. It isn't gourmet, but its solid - don't hesitate to eat there. I even tried a Danish beer (Ceres) and liked it quite a bit - the waitress said it was an Italian brew, but it wasn't!!

The only problems I experienced involved the breakfast. For starters, they did not do a good job of keeping the juices stocked, but were quick to respond when asked for more orange juice. More importantly, my inquiry as to whether the pasta (that's right, they have a pasta item at breakfast, and its very good) was vegetarian received a "yes," response, but that was not correct - there was duck in the mix, and I was not happy about it. Even worse, when I complained about that mistake, a lady next to me reported that she and her husband asked for gluten-free bread and were given something that was NOT gluten-free.

These complaints went straight to the GM, who was absolutely mortified and went straight into the restaurant! Moments later, she returned, again apologized, and then explained that in my case, the man I asked did not speak good English and just plain and simple got it wrong. In the case of the gluten-free, it was just an inexcusable mistake. There was a sincerity to the apologies that really eased the situations, and she was very interested in our suggestion that some kind of cards be placed in front of each prepared dish to indicated vegetarian or not.

None of this should take away from the fact that the breakfast had eggs, sausage, bacon, quiche (which was vegetarian!), pasta, plenty of breads, four different cold cereals (two for children), oatmeal, lots of fruit, pastries, cakes cookies, four different juices...it was the type of breakfast that could last the entire day and save you on lunch! The servers were attentive and the hostess was very friendly, so it was overall a nice meal experience.

One other thing: I wish they had more than one coin washing machine and one dryer. There was a line after midnight, waiting to use them!

Overall, I'd be hard-pressed for a better hotel in a better location for just 20,000 HH points per night, so I have to give it an EXCELLENT rating and encourage you to select it...and be sure to have some fun with Alex and Federico because they are the BEST.

Room Tip: Just ask for Alex or Federico and the room won't matter - you'll be in such a good mood that...
Green Features: The hotel offers the standard HGI policy of changing bedding every third day unless you request more often, and re-using towels unless you leave them on the floor.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
9 Thank Nathan S
Sittingbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn, Venice Mestre for 3 nights before a cruise. Comfortable room, great pool [apart from lots of gnats / mosquitos - we were all bitten:( ], very helpful staff, free wifi.
Very convenient that the bus direct onto the island of Venice stopped right outside the hotel, was only 5mins duration, and only 1.30 Euros.
Would definitely stay here again.
We'd booked the cruise through IGLU and the additional cost of the 3-night stay before the cruise was only +£20 per person! SO REALLY great value!!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 18 August 2014

YOU WILL NEED TO WALK EVERYWHERE....COS IS A CITY ON WATER!
Everything is connected by bridges…so be prepared to walk.
A must go to see is the Ponte Vecco Bridge...bring a padlock to lock onto this bridge as symbol of your love to your partner...hehe.

The hotel is the most affordable place to stay…a few bus stops to the main Venice area. You save on the hotel as you aren’t located in the main Venice city where rooms are super expensive. You can take this bus from the main train station to get you to and from the hotel and the Venice main city. There's a pool at this hotel…so bring your swim suit.

When in Venice, take the water taxi as they are cheaper as the gondola rides are quite costly. You see the same things on both modes of transport.

You only need 2 days here...you can visit both Murano and Burano islands in a day...Murano is more scenic and has nicer glassware and jewelry made of glass.

As something fun to do, bring bread to feed the pigeons at St Marco square.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank annassecret
Terre Haute
Reviewed 17 August 2014

After traveling through Austria for a week, our last night was in Venice. We decided to stay in Venice to be close to the airport rather than staying with family. We chose this hotel because of its proximity to the airport, airport shuttle service and location on the bus route into Venice. We parked our sister's car in the parking deck, dropped off our luggage, and took the bus into Venice for the day. While waiting in Venice for the bus to arrive, we got caught in a downpour and were completely soaked. We hadn't paid attention to the bus stop number and the bus was so crowded that we could not see--so make note of the stop number before getting on/off the bus. When we checked in for the evening, we were handed towels to try and dry off a bit which was unexpected. This hotel had all the amenities we are used to in the States--with the exception of English TV. Our room was spacious, modern, and clean. There were plenty of outlets so we could charge all our electical devices prior to returning to the US. The shuttle service was well worth the cost. If we fly in or out of Venice again, we will definately consider staying at this hotel.

Room Tip: Look at the bus route before getting on the bus--Its the second stop coming back from Venice
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank dmbakerphd
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 15 August 2014

It is a lovely modern and clean hotel with an outdoor pool. The bedrooms were great and we slept well. We would stay there again. No bar however after 1030 at night which was fine if you know beforehand. The outdoor pool was great to have access to. Superb public transport to venice outside the hotel lobby. Free wifi and excellent car park facilities.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mestre
Hotel Villa Costanza
#2 of 58 in Mestre
NH Laguna Palace
#12 of 58 in Mestre
Villa Barbarich
#1 of 58 in Mestre
Giudecca
Hilton Molino Stucky Venice Hotel

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Venice Mestre San Giuliano? Share your experiences!