Riva Smeralda offers beautiful scenery, with views on 2 nice bays between the rocks and easy access to them. There's also a small jetty with 2 ladders leading into the sea. A small sandbeach is located near the restaurant. Beach-seats are available for free. It's great snorkling here.
The camping is divided into terraces, is clean, has good and enough sanitary with normal toilet-seats, and you DON'T need those stupid coins for warm water in the showers! Excellent !
Tap-water is drinkable and also non-sanitary taps are located near the places which is handy.
No experience with the restaurant because that was closed in October. But there's a huge terrace and dancing-floor attached, which must be fun during high-season.
It's also possible to rent a bungalow (they are clean).
A friendly atmosphere characterizes this camping (of course, it depends upon yourself too, if you keep yourself closed to other people then they won't talk to you again) while the receptionists are very friendly and helpful whenever they can. This deserves an extra star !
For bigger shopping you need to go to Milazzo (about 5km) which can be a problem if you don't have your proper transport. Public busses stop near the camping, but I've been told that the time-schedule is not always respected (?) so you can loose much of your time. There's also a small shop in the nearby center (about 1,5 km away). When coworkers from the camping drive to Milazzo, they will be glad to give you a lift (and please show your appreciation). This camping is also a good place to stay if you want to visit the Eolean islands. Fast and slow boats travel between them and Milazzo.
Things which can be improved :
1) it's incredible that many - if not most - people working in the touristic sector in South-Italy and Sicily speak only Italian (same remark for Spain !!). On Riva Smeralda however, on all mornings and evenings of my stay from end of September and early October there was at least 1 person present who speaks English quite well.
2) a mini-market with the most necessary stuff for camping and with some food and drinks would be welcome. It would avoid driving to Milazzo.
3) many mirrors in the men's sanitary should be replaced.
Overall, I have a very good "flashback" of this camping and its coworkers and for sure I will stay there again. Stefania, thank you for your help !
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Priceline, Expedia, HostelWorld, Odigeo, Agoda and Hotels.com so you can book your Riva Smeralda reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riva Smeralda Milazzo, Sicily