“Very tricky 5 stars hotel with 2 stars rooms”

Grand Hotel & La Pace
Ranked #21 of 108 Hotels in Montecatini Terme
Reviewed 8 October 2013

We came to 5 stars hotel and get -1 star rooms number 120 and 121.What a shocked! Smell, small, filthy, old elevator loud ! Next morning I asked to change my room- concierge explain me ,that I don't understand Toscany style! !! I never know dust and old smell in 5 stars hotel Toscany style! Finally we moved to 3 stars room in 5 stars hotel. The trick is - hotel has two "buildings" - main and service. In main building - nice 5 stars rooms , hall , normal elevator . And " service building". You will tell me "you got what you pay!" no,no,no!!!! I spoke with people -they pay even less, but got suit with 2 rooms and 3 balcony ( probably they tip concierge guy?) I am willing to tip somebody too, but I don't know to whom. Good side of this hotel - location, parking, breakfast , lobby , restorant seems good ( not try yet) one more leacking shower- when you get shower - you create pool in bathroom.... If they don't care.... Why I should care... I put two bath robe on the floor...

Room Tip: Ask room in main building
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank IGutnik

Reviewed 8 September 2013

We booked 3 nights here through Voyage Prive & then read the reviews that worried us slightly... However a quick call to VP prior to going clearly gave them a chance to truly deliver!

We arrived early, yet our suite was readily available for us! Yes we had a suite which consisted of a huge bedroom, separate old style Italian bathroom with frilly shower curtains & a great shower plus a separate lounge with freestanding sofa, 2 chairs & antique style tables with massive lamps. Our mini bar was well stocked, we had a safe to use, oh & all rooms opened up to old school balconies! Air con worked fine. We had room 442.

Service from the front desk was ace. Breakfast was outside & had a huge array of choice, from scrambled eggs & bacon to sweet pastries & cheese, hams, fruit yoghurt and of course coffee!

The pool was gorgeous & the bar manned from 10 - 6 pm with plenty of sun loungers & towels provided. Oh the hotel also has a spa on the 1st floor & shows all the famous people that stayed there in the 50's & 60's (Audrey Hepburn for one!!)

It's lovely old school grand glamour with chandeliers, big mirrors & arty paintings. We used it as a base to explore what a tuscany has to offer :)

Room Tip: 442 suite on second floor :)
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank HolidayMonkey77
Reviewed 28 August 2013

We booked a 5 night break at the hotel through Voyage Prive and were very disappointed with the quality of this hotel. As previous reviewers have mentioned it is extremely tired and in need of updating. The original room we were offered was more akin to a cell than a luxury hotel room. Old furniture, little or no attempt at decoration and very poor amenities (we had no glasses, minibar contents, telephone or overhead shower). The public areas of the hotel were better but overall I'd say this hotel struggles to reach 3 stars let alone the 5 stars it advertises itself as. We were most definitely missold our 'Tuscan Sanctuary' break.

Room Tip: Don't book through voyage Prive - we got a definite feeling that VP had been shown the top rooms...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Jk18718
Reviewed 14 August 2013

I was looking forward to staying here but was a tad disappointed. The location and grounds are excellent as is the service especially staff on reception who were wonderful. My main gripe is the room in which we stayed . It felt down at heel and was a tad grubby. Although maid service is twice daily with lovely linen and towels I feel the hotel needs to acknowledge that we are in 2013 and that it can't rest on its laurels as it clearly still feels it can. Our room was dark and dreary with a dark and dismal bathroom . A lick of paint and lighter furniture and a bathroom overhaul were needed.It may be traditionally Italian but that doesn't justify grubby curtains and dusty floors. Finally the air conditioning was woefully inadequate and didn't touch the quality of lower graded hotels we have stayed in in Italy.

Room Tip: Probably don't try to book a budget deal as yu will not get a great room.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank optimistic48
Reviewed 10 August 2013

We stayed at this hotel several years ago. We chose not to stay here because of lack of air-conditioning . We seen some famous people De niro, Miss Colombia among others. One of the best front desk staffs ever. We recently attempted to dine at La Magnoli located in the garden area of the hotel. The staff seen me pushing a baby carriage which i think led to the prejudges I encountered. Let me set the seen I was wearing expensive silk shorts and same type shirt. When I asked to be seated I was looked up and down as I had the plague and was told shorts are unacceptable. I looked out at others seated and noticed two others wearing shorts. One of which was cut offs and the others a jean material. In my heart I feel they didn't want a kid in their restaurant. I left upset walked a few blocks away and had an amazing meal at La Pecora Nera. I would highly recommend staying away from a hotel that allows restaurant to be so shallow towards customers who like to spend money on a good meal.

Room Tip: I would not stay because the room I stayed in had no air they gave me two fans as it was ok.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Pete S
Reviewed 3 August 2013

What a delightful hotel! Reception very friendly and experienced. Something not too often found in Italy.... Rooms are large. Bathroom also spacious breakfast a large and varied spread.in the evening there is a "happy hour". Drinks are discounted and complimentary snacks are served. Swimming pool and area nice and clean. Buffet Lunch is served around the pool area. Air conditioning could be a bit more efficient. Excellent location in centre of town Walking distance to station

Room Tip: I think all the rooms are lovely. I had the standard room.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank desparatehousewife07
Reviewed 19 July 2013

Beautiful setting of the hotel (classic decoration), excellent and very friendly service, delicious meals served in a beautiful garden, good location close to the motorway and next to the shopping street. One point that could be improved is that the swimming pool could receive an upgrade. Staying in this hotel you probably experience how it felt like living as royals in the past. Warmly suggested !

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family