I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to rest and relax. An unusual mix of a stylish, modern hotel, with competent , professional yet endearingly non pretentious staff that makes you feel at home. You get the feel of an old style family run service, a bit "fawlty towers" but without the glitches.
Recently refurbished, all the rooms are all in a different style.
Rooms well appointed, high cielings,firm mattresses, sockets for computer/battery charger easily accessible, one above the desk too. I really hate having to sit on the bed to use my computer, or crawl around hunting for somewhere to plug it in. Bathroom spacious, enough room to put your toiletries.
The spa is what we expected considering that this is a hotel that offers spa facilities, not a spa with boarding facilities. Two spa areas, one on the ground floor whith massage pools, a small sauna and small turkish bath which we didn't try. Massages are provided, and the masseur is brilliant. Relaxing area just outside, with water and different herbal teas available - also biscuits and chocolate. The second spa area is on the first floor, with a larger turkish bath, a 'salt grotto' where you sit and breathe salt-laden air, supposedly twenty minutes in there are the equivalent of a day's worth of iodine at the seaside. Don't know if it's true but certainly pleasant after the turkish bath and before going into the spectacular sauna, large, with high cieling and panoramic windows. One of the best sauna's I've ever tried. Relaxing area where again herbal teas and water are available, chaise longues to lie on. Unusual selection of background music.
Don't expect a gym room with machinery, this is a 'centro benessere' not a 'centro fitness' which is what they are called in Italy.
No towels, you bring the ones from the room.
The restaurant on the top floor is excellent, the food immaginative and not heavy. There's a fixed four course menu which changes with every meal. The main emphasis is on fish but there is always a meat course and omelette, small à la carte menu available if you wish. Vegetarians and vegans won't have any difficulty, you can request something different and the chef will accomodate you. The house wine is good, produced by the family. Also a wine list available if you want something else, but their chianti is worth having.
Breakfast is good and varied, with cereals and muesly, grains and seeds if you want to mix your own, yoghurts, soy milk, rice milk and other health drinks, fruit juices, selection of breads, cakes and so forth. Scrambled eggs are 'real' not reconstituted. Bacon is the usual you get in Italy and so are the sausages, not an English breakfast country. Good tuscan cold cuts while the boiled ham is poor and the cheese is processed, usual hotel fare, not the excellent cheeses offered at dinner. Same goes for the tea, don't expect a warmed teapot and the water poured over the tea, as everywhere in Italy you'll get a pot of hot water and a selection of teas on the side. Coffee is the Caffè Americano you get in hotels all over the world. If you are a coffee person, What you do is ask the waiter for an espresso or cappuccino or whatever coffee you want and they'll bring it.
I've read the negative reviews and come to the conclusion that most of the criticisms were due to misunderstandings or not asking for the right thing. Pity there isn't an outdoor pool but you're in the centre of town, and frankly I didn't miss it, too busy with the spa treatments.
Took the seven night/ eight day all inclusive spa package and the price/ quality ratio is excellent, works out at roughly just over 110€ a day for B&B, four course dinner with wine and water, five massages and access to all the facilities for the whole stay. Added a couple of massages to the package, and lunches too- the restaurant is too good to miss, so I'll have extras but who cares.
Been here seven days and enjoyed every minute.
Oh, yes, the air conditioning is very noisy, but I'm sure it can be easily remedied, and the downstairs spa area gets rather crowded at the week- end with people taking the week-end package but back to normal on monday.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The hotel is situated in a very central position, in the hearth of fashion district. Montecatini Terme, famous all over the world, is the ideal place for your relax and for a regenerating vacation. It's besides near to the most beautiful Tuscan art cities: Florence,Pisa,Siena,Lucca;all attainable in a few minutes driving. Hotel Columbia Wellness & spa offers a small but painstaking Wellness Area that offers you a range of aesthetic treatments aimed to maintain the perfect psycho-physical shape. Wellness & Spa Ground floor 400 sqm around “ Emotional Time ” : The Relax Point offers a Wellness Area that offers you a range of aesthetic treatments aimed to maintain the perfect psycho-physical shape. Inside you will find cabins where we propose you some energetic techniques and ancient disciplines to help you to find your inner balance. Try our new “Emotion Time” including colour-therapy steam bath, KNEIPP course, emotional shower with aroma-therapy, tropical thera ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, TripOnline SA, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, Travel Republic (UK), Ebookers, Agoda, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Hotel Columbia Wellness & SPA reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Columbia Hotel Montecatini Terme
- Hotel Columbia Wellness & SPA Montecatini Terme, Italy - Tuscany