“Grand Plaza”

Grand Hotel Plaza & Locanda Maggiore
Ranked #7 of 108 Hotels in Montecatini Terme
Reviewed 2 August 2014

This is a 4 star Hotel in Montecatini which Gate1 booked us into for our one week stay. We arrived in June 2014 while the front piazza was under construction. We had a view of the front and unfortunately we could only see the construction. It will be beautiful when finished. Our only complaint was there was no accommodations for parking. We had to park on a neighboring street and were required to pay 4 Euros every day. Other than that the hotel provided us with a large room which was clean, but a little out-dated. Also the breakfast every day was just wonderful. Always a full selection of usual breakfast foods, eggs, sausage, breads, cheese, fruit and cereal and yogurt. Our stay there was without any negative experiences. The staff was friendly and helpful with directions and spoke English.

Room Tip: Front facing new piazza
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Flozee

Reviewed 29 July 2014

I am honestly baffled by some of the previous reviews about this hotel. I stayed at the Grand Plaza with my wife last week & had an entirely positive experience. We had emailed the hotel & requested a room with a balcony (Inghams the company we traveled with for some reason couldn't do this) and got a very pleasant room (128) at the front of the hotel with a double balcony. The room itself was fine with art deco ceiling light, a high ceiling & period plaster coving, very Room With a View. Everything in the bathroom worked as it should & as with everything else in our room it was spotlessly clean. The furniture in the room was a little dated but I'll take the balcony view, character & cleanliness over furniture every time.

The meals in the dining room were excellent. Breakfast was what you would expect a buffet with hot & cold choices, no problems there. The evening meal was in an entirely different league, four courses with three choices in the three main courses & all different every night, Good Italian food well cooked & served I could not fault it. All the hotel staff are genuinely friendly & helpful some of the best I have come across anywhere but the Head Waitress was exceptional, nothing was too much trouble & she was always eager to help.

Overall I would recommend this hotel to anyone that enjoys Italian food, staying in a characterful setting & wants a convenient location. I have absolutely no idea where some of the negative comments below have come from, maybe there are two Grand Plaza hotel's in Montecatini.

Montecatini itself is a very pleasant town with plenty of bars & restaurants. It is ideally situated to explore Tuscany, the train stations (there are two) are both close to the hotel & you can get pretty much anywhere in the region, we even managed a day out in Bologna on the train with no problems at all. A couple of tips re traveling on train here; most of the trains seem to be between five & ten minutes late, once validated (from one of the on station machines) a ticket lasts for six hours which is useful if you miss your train or change plan and the multi lingual ticket machines provide timetable information as well as easy to buy tickets.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony room. We had room 128 & were very happy with it.
4  Thank Luxexterior
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I arrived with my husband and we got given the keys to our room. When I first stepped in I was disappointed and I put a brave face on for my husband. My husband then used the lack of shower and pointed out the sink was lose on the wall. We changed room and we were told, we were only allowed rooms on the 4th floor. The room we were left with had cracks in the ceiling and damp (we have the photos). The drink was cheap, but this was because of the lack of quality. The food was hit and miss, with more misses. They got my order wrong several times, and typically pushing the cheaper less popular dishes. The deserts were poor, even using the breakfast cakes! They clearly need to get a good pastry chef, or find Italys answer to Iceland. Finally on the last day my husband asked for a gluten free packed lunch and they gave in a lunch containing gluten. This hotel is advertised in Inghams as being able to cater for gluten free diets.

Room Tip: Do bother with this hotel
5  Thank Valley_Kazzer
GPRoma, Direttore at Grand Hotel Plaza & Locanda Maggiore, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2014

Dear Guests,
we are very sorry and disappointed for the latest comment about our hotel but most of all we feel hearted and quite irritated since the couple (husband and wife in the same room even if they left two different comments) never complained to us during their stay. We do remember them very well and all we know that they were disappointed with the room that we immediately changed. We do not agree with all what they say.
How could they say food was repetitive and boring since our Hotel provides a 10 days different menu’ and they only stayed 7 nights? It is true that they asked for a gluten free menu’ but even for that the Hotel has special and various choices for Vegetarian, Gluten free and Vegans.
How could they say that drinks were poor quality since we use the main brands? Johnny Walker is the same here as in England…
We would like to make everybody understand that we do accept observations and comments because we truly believe that they could lead to an improvement (if necessary) but at the same time we totally disagree with those Guests that during their stay appear to be happy and satisfied (we talked with the couple many times) but when they leave are ready to complain in such a rude way.
“The fruit in the fruit bowl was rotting, evidenced by large numbers of fruit flies. In the UK that would have resulted in the Environmental Health closing the place down.”
If all of this would have been true, also in Italy the Environmental Health dep. would have closed the place…!
Such a false comments shouldn’t be allowed on Tripadvisor.
Giancarlo Poli
Director

Reviewed 20 July 2014

We chose this hotel through Inghams. My wife had been to Monticatini in the past so I wanted to see a little of her former life. Thought it would be very Romantic. Which in a sense it was. The Hotel we chose, while it didn't ruin the holiday it was on balance an over-priced mistake. It claimed to be a 4 star hotel. I have learned the hard way that star ratings on the continent can be utterly meaningless. And having checked the rules in Italy, while it met the legal definition of a 4 star hotel the standards of comfort and quality were definitely way below par.
Apparently Verdi always stayed in this hotel and they are trading heavily on that.
First the positives:
The location was good and central. It was close the bustling centre of the town. If you wanted to go out for some night life you were well served. You were close to the train station if you wanted to go exploring although we found out the hard way, why a certain famous Italian Dictator was genuinely popular with his famous promise "The trains will run on time". Trenitalia can be somewhat chaotic. Didn't help that one day we were there, there was an unannounced wildcat strike!
The décor on the outside and communal areas was good. The courtyard was quite pleasant although on the last day we passed on the live entertainment.
The staff, were charming and genuinely friendly. I have a food allergy. I am allergic to Gluten and they did try their best to help me. One culinary highlight was a GF Tirimassu.

Now alas the negatives.

First the room we were first offered, was downright dangerous. The shower was pathetic. The sink was about to fall off the wall and could have had either one of us in hospital. While they did move us, they did not take that room out of service.

The rooms are pokey, dated, state of repair of the décor was poor. Air conditioning not up to the job and that part of Italy can get VERY HOT. Zero soundproofing. So you could clearly hear everything going on in the town, including the very loud church bells. The shower curtain was not up to the job. The bathroom constantly flooded. The floor was slippery. I asked for a shower mat and they didn't have one, net result whenever we had a shower we couldn't turn around and risked breaking our neck. No extractor fan in the bathroom. The smell from the drains used to periodically come up from the toilet. NICE!
For a four star hotel you expect high quality toiletries in the bathroom. We left them there as they were poor. I have had better from a well known Generic German Supermarket!

The food was very variable but definitely not four star. We have eaten at genuine three, four and five star hotels so while we are not snobs, we are foodies, and know what we are talking about. On several occasions the order was cocked up. If I had got the wrong food I could have ended up in hospital. Fortunately my wife was watching like a hawk. However on the last day when I had a supposedly GF packed lunch I was given a normal one. I ate some of the sandwiches before I realised. My humble apologies to the people sitting next to me on the plane!

The food was tired and repetitive. We got the same old stuff every day. Much of it was overcooked and tasteless. The bread was so stale it bounced. The fruit in the fruit bowl was rotting, evidenced by large numbers of fruit flies. In the UK that would have resulted in the Environmental Health closing the place down.
The prices of the drinks were OK but it was poor quality. We dried an aged Grappa as that is one of my favourites, but it left both of us feeling rough. Told the barman and he didn't seem to care.
One of the perks if you got back in time was afternoon tea. A grotty cup of tea and some stale biscuits. No GF ones provided in spite of the fact they had weeks of notice.
The pool was poor. While it looked OK from a distance, once inside the cleanliness was not up to UK standards. While this is quite normal for Italy there was no lifeguard.

While we will return to Montecatini some time. NOT to this hotel.

Room Tip: There is none. Choose a different hotel.
4  Thank WILLIAM1066

Dear Guests,
Such a false comments shouldn’t be allowed on Tripadvisor.
Giancarlo Poli
Director

Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a 1 week stay with my partner on a Travel Department holiday. On arrival we were issued our room key in a very welcome organised fashion after our travel from Dublin by plane and coach. Apart from street works directly outside hotel it is located in a great central area of a lovely Italian town. Breakfast was very ordinary and never changed from arrival till departure. We were very disappointed to find our evening meal was of a very poor standard ranging from undercooked pink chicken to very fatty braised beef and not a great selection of vegetables. One of our reasons for chosing an Italian holiday was to eat Italian food of which there was very little served to us in the hotel. Hotel staff were very friendly especially head food waiter Mariano who we cannot speak more highly of. But to be classed 4 star the hotel would need an update on all areas.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Larry M
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Very helpful staff, food very good and the the head waitress superb ,great location ,I would not hesitate to return. An ideal area to travel around tuscany,the trains are frequent and the fares are not expensive. There are some great bra that are typically italian and the welcome is impressive.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Alan B
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Myself and my Mother have just returned from an excellent stay at this hotel (July 8th - 15th). We thoroughly enjoyed everything this beautiful hotel had to offer.

It is a typical Italian style hotel and this brings with it old world charm which may not be to everyone's taste. Lovely big lobby area with a huge old stair case. The lift is a bit of a tight fit - so perhaps not that best if you're claustrophobic. The bar is small, but there are plenty of seats outside and in the foyer if it is full. Our bedroom was standard European size on the first floor - the window was floor to ceiling and opened out onto a shared verandah which overlooked the back of the property adjacent to the Viale Verdi - yes, this can be noisy - but we live in the city so this didn't bother us. If you are a light sleeper you might be better off to ask for one of the courtyard rooms.

We had breakfast and dinner in this hotel - which was plentiful. The waiting staff were excellent and a special word of mention must go to Mariano - what a lovely, guy who is extremely dedicated to his job and it is clear that he loves doing what he does. He was kind, courteous and extremely helpful. My Mother and I cannot eat certain dishes and he made sure that we enjoyed our meal like everyone else by providing alternatives without a fuss.

Truly what makes this hotel great is the staff. Kind, friendly and they always did their job with a smile on their faces. Furthermore, the hotel is spotless.

Thank you for a great week and I look forward to returning.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family