We are just back from an escorted rail journey in Tuscany and stayed 7 days at this hotel. I had looked at the reviews and pictures before I left and was looking forward to staying there. How wrong can you be. When we arrived the public rooms and bar were classy and tidy. We were checked in and went to our room. Nothing like the pictures. 2 very hard single beds, view out onto the wall of the next door hotel and very tired decor. We had to keep the shutters closed for privacy. Bathroom was quite big but the bath had a shower on a pole against the wall and no shower screen or curtain. I went back to reception and enquired why no shower screen and the girl on reception just shrugged and said it was normal. Had a shower that night and had to bend over to get under the shower head. Needless to say water went everywhere and bathroom floor was very wet. A slip on the floor would have injured you badly. Next day went back to reception and asked to be moved. Girl I saw then was very helpful and got us shifted to a room with shower cubicle.Still dated but safer.
Then we come to the food. There was a menu outside the dining room but we didn't get any of it. Dining room was separated so that our large group ate on large tables. First meal veg was processed mushy peas. Another night we had spinach boiled within an inch of its life. No effort was put into the food and most times just slopped on the plate. One night I had what was supposed to be York ham. It was a processed meat of which I had 2 slices, no more than a dessert spoon of mashed potato and 5 slices of carrot. That night nearly everyone sent their food back to the kitchen. There was mixed salad every night as a starter which was lettuce, a couple of slices of cucumber and a couple of bits of tomato. To vary it they added grated carrot. Our tour manager complained and the next night we had parma ham and melon then after that back to mixed salad.Meals had to be eaten as soon as they arrived at the table as only luke warm with the result we were all eating at different times. At breakfast there was scrambled egg every day. One morning there was none left so my husband waited for it to be replaced. When it arrived it was cold. How can fresh stuff be cold? It says it serves Italian cuisine. We never saw that at all. We have been to Italy on several occassions in both 3* and 4* hotels and had beautiful food. What we were dished up in this hotel was most certainly not 4* standard.
The night before we left I went to reception to pay our bar bill and was told I had to pay it in the morning. As we were leaving at 7.15 and dining room opened for breakfast at 6.45 I went down at 6a.m. to settle up. The night receptionist told me to come back later as he didn't take bills at that time. I asked if he was joking and he just shrugged and went back to what he was doing before I arrived. I stood there shocked and after a few minuted he looked up again, sighed and went to a pile of invoices lying on the desk. He finally took my payment with no "thank-you" and went back to what he was doing as if I was dismissed.
I certainly felt there was a 2 tier system at this hotel and our group was definately on the lower tier for service.
In saying that the weather, train trips and places we visited were marvellous. Shame the hotel didn't live up to its pictures.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Francia & Quirinale Hotel sits in a prestigious yet quiet area of downtown Montecatini Terme, within walking distance from the town’s thermal springs and its beautiful park. The Giusfredi family has owned and managed the hotel since the 1920s, constantly renewing what they consider their Home with the greatest devotion and passion. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, LoveHolidays, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your Hotel Francia e Quirinale reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Hotel Montecatini Terme
- Hotel Francia e Quirinale Montecatini Terme, Italy - Tuscany