“Disappointing”

Agriturismo le Caggiole
Reviewed 3 July 2013

Nothing seemed to go right here. Google maps couldn't find the address and it took us two hours to find it. The owner had sent coordinates,and he was quite huffy that I didn't use them even though I did not have a GPS with me. (It turns out that another couple tried using the coordinates and they were not correct. They also had trouble finding it.)

From there, everything went downhill. The parking is a long way from the rooms and even though we were two ladies in our fifties, no one offered to help us lug our heavy suitcases in. Our room was dark and small, and we had to walk down two steps to get to the bathroom--not that easy at night. We could hear road noise when we opened the window.

The biggest disappointment was the dinner we shared with others staying at the agriturismo. We had chosen Il Caggiole because of Mamma Ornella's cooking, which is also advertised on the website. Alas, the owner fixed the meal, not Mamma Ornella, and it was not worth the 35 euros. The pasta dish, in particular, tasted funny and I noticed very few people finished it.

I was a little unhappy that the owner had insisted that we stay for five days when I reserved. He eventually agreed to four, although our preference was three. It was ironic that none of the other guests stayed for more than three days, and in fact, some stayed for just a couple of nights.

Another oddity was that the office was often closed as we had no idea how to reach the owner to get pillows or extra blankets (it was really chilly the first night) or to ask questions or get directions.

It wasn't all bad. The view out our window was glorious. The room was clean and the bathroom was roomy. The location is very convenient once you know how to find it. The cakes cooked by Mamma Ornella for breakfast were outstanding. I would give it 2.5 stars.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank kassy55
leCaggiole, Proprietario at Agriturismo le Caggiole, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2013

As you can imagine, reading a review like this is a big disappointment for us: in fact constructive criticism are always appreciated, because they encourage us to do better, but when the review is not justified and is the result of a personal frustration, we can only regret.

However it is our duty to respond point by point.

First I would like to point out that our farm is properly positioned on Google Maps (you can check).
As I always do, in addition to geographic coordinates (these obviously correct), the indications "visual" to follow once you reach Montepulciano, I have suggested in no uncertain terms not to enter the address on the navigator because many of them lead to another part (do not ask me why).

The ladies had followed the navigation system, entering the address so they got lost (stirring for two hours in a stretch of 2 km long road where we have a sign (about 2 meters large),
Can it may be my fault?

When she arrived, she was very peevish, so much so that apparently she did not even hear when I asked if I could help them with luggage..
Me and my family live in the same building, to be present and available to all requests of our guests.
The lady in fact she was not limited to do me any kind of request (at all hours), such as teach her how to connect her tablet to Internet, provide her all kinds of suggestions and advice for places to visit and restaurants long that path, give her extra towels for the spa, sponges and rags to clean their car, close the shutters of her room (??), etc etc...

The room IL MANISCALCO is not small, in fact, is one of our most popular rooms, away from noise and with a large window that offers a "glorious sight" as she later wrote contradicting herself.

The thing that disappointed me so much is the comment on the dinner.
I was in the kitchen all afternoon to prepare dinner (and my mom was there for a long time to assist me), but obviously she could not have known this since the two ladies arrived late when all the other guests were already seated waiting for... them;

The dinner consisted of a set menu that included an appetizer with various local meats, artisanal pasta of organic spelt topped with cheese and fresh vegetables, roasted guinea fowl cooked with lard of "Cinta Senese", fresh salad and tomatoes, one bottle of Vino Nobile di Montepulciano "riserva 2005," chocolate dessert with strawberry and cookies (homemade), coffee.
In addition to the goodness of simple recipes (unusual to find these delicacies in restaurants), the added value to all of our dinners is the quality of ingredients, sourced and cooked the same day (only local fruit and vegetables in season, and typical products of our area).
What do you think? There seems to be an excessive price?

I would also like to point out that the only "mistake" we made was to present very generous portions, as required by the country hospitality rules.
However, she has eaten all the appetizer, the pasta (except a little pieces), all the guinea fowl (she liked it so much that the bones were shiny!!), the dessert, and , finally in their bottle of wine is not even a drop remained.
(to be honest, her friend has just tasted the appetizer, pasta and dessert maybe because it was on a diet).).

It was a very pleasant night, where all the guests have become friends, and they were sitting around talking and drinking our wine for hours.

Reviewed 18 June 2013

My wife and I spent five days this past May with Giacomo at le caggiole.

This place was perfect for us- we got one of the private apartments with kitchen. Very clean, nicely decorated. I use a wheelchair/crutches to get around. Was very accessible for me (ground level apartment) but probably less accessible for electric wheelchair users (eg gravel paths from parking area to apartment and steeper hills). We had a great experience.

One word of caution, if you are looking for an agriturismo experience that features a host who can help you book experiences (eg, vineyard/wine tasting tours, cooking classes, dinners every night, etc) or looking for a hotel like experience, this is not the place you are looking for. This place is more like a vacation/apartment rental.

It was wonderful for us though - private apartment, great views, reasonable price, great location to explore Tuscany and central Italy. Giacomo was very helpful -- gave us great recommendations for local restaurants and directions to local area sites.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 March 2013

We had a fantastic time at Villa Le Caggiole. It is close to everything that's good about Tuscany. Wine, food, culture, you name it. The service provided by Francesca was perfect and she helped us a lot. We will definitely be coming back.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank MattiasEmma
Reviewed 10 November 2012

So just in short, rooms were great. Nice old lovely renovated farmhouse. Nice old furniture and we had large room "Il cantiniere" Hard mattress and pillows, but thats normal in italy.
BUT another main reason was the agriturismo. We spend really nice days in other agriturismo guesthouses, with handmade locally produced delicious food.
But when we arrived we were straight pointed to some restaurants in the city. We were curious, because were full of anticipation for the homemade dinner. But they told us, after requesting, that it's not possible because they need at least 8 guest for that.
That's a bit strange because I assume they have only place for maximally 10 guest.
Breakfast was typically italian; lot of sweets.
So if you book, make sure that dinner is available during your stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Markus P
Reviewed 30 October 2012

The place and the location is beautiful. The rooms are a bit small, but fine, and get quite hot in the summer. The breakfast is made of only sweets (cakes, biscuits) that taste nice, however I was not overwhelmed. We had our breakfast outside and had amazing views of the farm, what was the best part. All in all, it is a good guesthouse, but nothing special. Also do not expect to be offered to have a walk along the farm or even to do it by yourself. Also, do not expect much interaction with the owners. They are kind and help you with whatever you ask, but they are also busy with their day by day activities.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Priscila Salern... S
Reviewed 24 October 2012

We were looking for a place to stay in Tuscany at a reasonable price that gave us a little peak into real life and that is exactly what we found! This place blew us away! The views are gorgeous, the location is perfect, the room are clean and kept up very nicely but the best part, hands down, we're the people. Giacomo was the most helpful hospitable host and the dinner the family made was the best we had on our entire trip.

We couldn't have asked for anything more, really a wonderful relaxing place to stay!

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed 23 October 2012

We sort of chose this quickly on a last minute trip to come and look for property in Italy. Our experience was not like the other reviewers. Maybe we just have standards that are a little higher...not sure. First the negatives.
It started out rough when we arrived. Their website says check in is to be between 4:00- 7:00pm. We were coming from the Amalfi Coast and left in good time to make that but got caught up in a bad traffic jam outside Naples. I quickly got on my phone and emailed the Inn to let them know we would likely be at least 30 min late from what I could figure. When I didn't hear back from them I sent a text to the cell number. I was trying to avoid calling due to the cost from my US phone. When I still did not hear back I called and someone answered in Italian and we tried with our limited Italian to explain but she rattled something in Italian and just hung up. When we arrived in Montepulciano it was dark and our GPS took us everywhere but their place! After endlessly trying to find it we pulled over and called again and she just said 5 min in english and hung up again. Was that supposed to be call back in 5 min? We just sat there and thought now what?? I was ready to just say forget it and go get a hotel. My husband called again and finally got the son who speaks english. He told us how to find the place and even with his directions we managed to miss it in the dark twice! Needless to say our nerves were a bit shot when we arrived. The owner came out and quickly scolded us for not being there earlier and notifying them we were going to be late! I snapped back at him that we emailed, texted, and called three times and got hung up on twice and if that wasn't good enough so sorry! I'm not sure what more we could have done to tell them other than send a message from heaven but I have not figured out to do that yet! Not the best way to greet your guests and make them feel welcome. I was ready to leave at that point but my husband was tired so we stayed. We opted for the apartment after seeing our room because it was so small we would not be able to move with our suitcases in it. ( we travel with carryon only!) The Apartment was nice and large but had a horrible smell to it. We slept with the window open to air it out even though it was cold. The bed is hard but most are in Italy so we have learned to just deal with it. The pillow were really hard so we slept on our airline pillows. Again, that is normal for Italy and doesn't necessarily reflect the quality of the hotel. I have stayed and many places in Italy though that understand that Americans like softer beds and pillows and will offer extra pillows or an extra pad for the bed.
We didn't really eat much of the breakfast because we are not fans of sweets for breakfast and prefer protein.We usually just had a bite of the breakfast pie and coffee and went up in the town for breakfast.
Wireless was spotty at best and never worked in our room. We would have to wrap up in a blanket at night and sit outside in the cold to get on. That was a real hassle because we were looking at properties and every night the realtor would send us new ones to look at and it was way to much data for our phones so we needed wireless and our computers to be able to look at the pictures.
Now for the good. The location is perfect right outside the city a mile or so. It was very quick to go up into Montepulciano to shop or eat and parking was never an issue right outside the city gate. The owner did warm up the next day and was very helpful with restaurant recommendations, directions, and any questions you may have. It is a working farm and he seems to try to make himself available in the morning to help with his guests plan for the day.
The place was well kept and clean but note you need to bring your own bar soap and hairdryer.
I have read that many of the guests love the dinners with the mother but that was not available when we were there because there were only two sets of guests. I understand that completely, but maybe our overall experience would have felt differently had we participated in that.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business