“stop there for a wine of glass”

E Lucevan le Stelle
Ranked #18 of 101 Restaurants in Montepulciano
Price range: US$18 - US$24
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Bar Scene, Romantic, Local cuisine, View
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Wine Bar & Bistro in the heart of the old town, it's located in Piazza San Francesco, famous for the stunning view on the valley and on San Biagio Church. "E lucevan le stelle" is open for lunch, apéritifs and dinner, offering a unique location in town for admiring the incredible sunsets on the valley. More than 200 labels of fine Italian wines are available by the bottle, together with a selection of about 20 wines served by the glass. Wide selection of whiskeys, rhum, gin and other spirits. Live jazz on season and temporary art exhibitions.
Reviewed 2 June 2014

the service is excellent and the choice of wines great. The wine bar has also a pleasant terrace witha beautifull view.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

This lovely little wine bar has a nice outside terrace overlooking the Tuscan countryside. Though it can be windy there in certain weather, the view is outstanding and the service provided by the attentive and cheerful waiter was excellent. The vino nobile was very good and there were ample snacks provided and tastefully presented for our aperitivo. We'll go back for sure! A lovely place to while away the late afternoon after hiking up and down the hills of Montepulciano.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

We came across E Lucevan Le Stelle a few years ago when visiting Montepulciano for the first time. It is named after a line from a Puccini opera which means and the stars shone brightly. The view, the terrace and the people - not to mention the excellent wine, are what keep us coming back. It is the kind of place you can stop for a glass of wine, end up talking to the table next to you and end up getting invited to a harvesting at a near by winery - or just sit, sip and enjoy the view. In our case, a glass of wine lead to two, then dinner - which was simple and outstanding, topped off by Limoncello of course (don't drink too much of that - I am still nursing a hangover from 5 years ago). And if you like the wine you are drinking, you can buy one (or 5) to take home at a discount. It is most spectacular at sunset. Frankly it is the kind of place we need in Canada.

This visit, one of the owners Cinzia invited us to a blind tasting by 10 wine producers of Vino Nobile di Montepulciano DOCG to sample the new 2011 releases.

Ten numbered bottles at the bar, a score sheet and a room full of producers and wine lovers. There was nothing formal about this tasting - it was a chance to talk with the producers and for people like Cinzia, who owns the bar, she gets to know what kinds of wine appeal the most.

I was completely intimidated until Cinzia told me that only one in ten producers can identify their own wine, let alone all 10. Vittorio Bagnasco, who produces Lamberto, blamed the fact he had a cold. Great excuse, I told him.

They all come with stories.

Vittorio has been producing wines at Lamberto for 10 years. Before that he was a documentary cameraman and Director of Photography for feature films when he decided to take his love of wine one brave step further.

Dr. Alberto Brini of Il Conventino Wines - had just that day made a bid to the LCBO to get his organic wines into their stores. He looked about 25 and like all of the producers, utterly charming. His wine was ready before the label.
And Cinzia, the event organizer - I found out that night, was a marine engineer before she toasted a new career and opened up the wine bar and B & B.

And while I only managed to match one wine with its proper label. It was a spectacular evening - that I will never forget. That's one of the reasons my husband and I make the wine bar a must whenever we are lucky enough to visit Tuscany.

If you want to know the wines that came out on top at the tasting - along with photos of that evening- check out my blog at

Reviewed 4 November 2013

While at Il Sasso for two weeks in October I rented an apartment on Via Ricci, just up the hill from Piazza San Francesco. The very first thing I discovered about this Piazza is the spectacular view of Tuscany to the west, including an number of memorable sunsets. And then I discovered was this lovely enotecha, where I was able to sit outside and and enjoy the night air and view, and sample delicious wines and antipasti. I even had dinner there one night, sampling a magical blend of pasta and cinghiale. Definitely on my list of places to visit again when I return to Montepulciano.

Reviewed 30 August 2013

Perfect place for a relaxed glass of wine and a few anti pasti watching the sun set from the terrace or a cosy red wine inside on the couches during colder months. Excellent wine selection, fantastic friendly staff. Great pastas too if you fancy a light dinner as we did. Highly recommended.