“Wow, what a perfect place and perfect host!”
Review of Montorio

Montorio
GreenLeadersBronze level
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
“Wow, what a perfect place and perfect host!”
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

Occasionally, very occasionally, you get something that is way beyond your expectations, even when your expectations are set really high. So it was for us with Montorio.

From the moment we arrived after a 650km car journey from France we were warmly greeted by Stefania who has continued from that minute to be the consummate host. She is a wealth of information and suggestions on places to go and things to do - your own private tourist bureau!

We stayed in the top floor apartment 'Sangallo' and had booked it a year in advance of our stay. To say that we had really high expectations would be an understatement! Well our expectations were well and truly exceeded. The website photos simply do not do justice to this apartment or to it surrounds, they just can't. How can you possibly photograph the vista of Tuscany that is to be had from each and every window?

If you are looking for a place that is unique, historical, spectacular and private then this is for you!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bob S
72sfn, Proprietario at Montorio, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
Dear Mr Bob S,
thank you very much for this fantastic review. I am more than happy that what you found in montorio was more than your expectation, this make me very very happy
you are right the photos do not give justice at the place, but I prefer that the guest can find more than less
It has been a pleasure to guest you and your wife for a week and I am looking forward to see you again

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 27 June 2014

When I was looking for a place to stay in Montepulciano, I was sure that I wanted a place up in town. During my research, however, I came across a picture of the view from Montorio and I knew I would regret it if we didn't stay there. So stay there we did.

My husband and I stayed for two nights, but could easily justify staying there, well, permanently. Stefania was lovely - very friendly and helpful. When we arrived (slightly early), we called her mobile and she showed up in five minutes. The setting was like a dream. The views were literally unbelievable. The apartments were fitted with modern comforts yet still felt atmospheric. We made good use of the kitchen (bought a packet of pici and a jar of truffle sauce - so simple yet tasted incredible) as well as the laundry room and of course the beautiful courtyard overlooking San Biagio.

Montorio's location was perfect for us. We didn't have a car, so we took the bus from Siena, which conveniently stopped across the road from Montorio (ask for San Biagio stop). We also wanted to walk to Monticchiello and on to Pienza - the trail conveniently starts near Montorio, and we simply took the bus back to San Biagio stop. Before our walk, we stopped by the supermarket across the road for food and water, which was also very convenient.

All in all, our stay in Montorio was absolutely perfect. We could not ask for better and I can hardly imagine a more beautiful place to stay!

1 Thank KarinaFH
72sfn, Proprietario at Montorio, responded to this review, 29 June 2014
Dear Mrs KarinaFh,
what a lovely and detail review you have written , thank you very much.
I am very happy that you particulalry enjoyed montorio all its facility and of course its unique location , with the view on the church of San biagio
I hope you will be back for a longer stay, I hope
Clockwatch
Reviewed 26 May 2014

For the semi-independent traveler, Montorio is THE place to stay in Tuscany!! For an authentic, historic and welcoming place, Montorio is perfection. Our "apartment" in this lovely villa was spacious and well designed with a small kitchen perfect for breakfasts and the occasional dinner after being inspired by the wonderful Tuscan cuisine. There is a fantastic fruit/vegetable market and a local grocery within walking distance. Montepulciano itself serves as the ideal base to explore the Tuscan region with its many fabulous hilltop towns. Accessibility to the exclusinve property, including parking, is easy-not something to be taken for granted! The estate itself is gorgeous, with sweeping views of the sun-drenched Tuscan hills and a famous historic church. Encircling the panoramic drive are olive, quince and pomegranate trees. One of our delights was to sit out on the terraced garden, complete with cascading rosemary and sage, simply enjoying the vista. Stefania-the owner/manager- is gracious, invitiing and extremely helpful. We can't wait to return to paradise!!

72sfn, Proprietario at Montorio, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear Clockwatch,

thank you for your fantastic and authentic review.

This was your 9 or 10 time to MOntorio I even do not remember and I am happy that you have decided to share your experience with other traveller.

I am looking forward to see next time.

Warmest regards
Stefania
Los Alamitos, California
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Our stay at Montorio was so special it is hard to do it justice with words. First of all Stephania the owner was so welcoming and so helpful with directions, where to eat, what to see, and where to shop. we were greeted In our apartment with a bottle of local wine, juice, milk, and water. Our apartment was very comfortable, spotlessly clean, and the kitchen was stocked with the necessary tools for cooking. The grounds are beautiful, well maintained, and the views are breath taking. We stayed seven nights and hated to leave.

1 Thank kay m
72sfn, Proprietario at Montorio, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
dear Mr Kay M,
your words are so nice as you and your wife are.
It has been my pleasure to have you and your wife as my guest and I will be very very happy if you would like to came back one day
Looking forward to see you again
KInd regards
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Great location! You can be completely alone, in the morning on the territory I met a roedeer. At the same time the historical centre of Montepulciano is in a walking distance. Many picturesque villages, wineries, termal springs within 20-30 minutes drive on the scenic roads. The apartment is comfortable, clean, have all the necessary for a comfortable stay. The owner of the Villa are very welcoming and attentive. I want to come here once more!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

72sfn, Proprietario at Montorio, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Dear Mrs Tatiana
thank you very much for your recent and lovely review.
It has been a real pleasure to guest you and your husband and I am happy that you have appreciate your apartment and its facilities and the close distance to town .
I hope to see you again and I hope that the next time you will came to montepulciano you will choose again MOntorio
Mackay, Australia
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Our arrival at Montorio was delayed, but manager, Stephania, was more than happy to stay to greet us regardless.
From the moment we stepped out of the car at almost sunset, we felt in another world. Montorio is in a strikingly beautiful part of the country on the top of a hill. We often had afternoon drinks in the garden overlooking the valleys below, the views are breathtakingly lovely. If Stephania spotted us in the garden on her way home etc, she would be sure to say hello and ask if there were any problems or to have a chat.
Our apartment, comprising a cute kitchette, lounge, bedroom & bathroom were adequate. The shower stall was very small by Australian standards, but we noticed that in a lot of our accommodation throughout the country & it depends if these things bother you or not. Our bed was a little hard, another thing we noticed in most of the places we stayed.. Montorio has a guest laundry,(not available everywhere) so that was a real bonus, do save your 1 & 2 euro coins.. Overall, we enjoyed our stay very much, we certainly felt like we were in Tuscany :)

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KCD012
72sfn, Proprietario at Montorio, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Dear Mr Kcd012,

thank you very much to have choosen Montorio during your stay at Montepulciano and thatnk you for sharing your experiece with the large community of Trip advisor.

I enjoyed to mey you and I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay.

If you will be back I wish you will choose again MOntorio

SIncerely,
Stefania
Venice, Italy
Reviewed 10 September 2013

We stayed at Montorio at the end of August. We were greeted by the owner, Stefania, who was very friendly and welcoming and gave us a map of Montepulciano with lots of tips regarding shopping, eating and drinking. It just so happened that when we arrived there was a violin and piano concerto at Stefania's other residence, a lovely boutique hotel down the road from Montorio. I mentioned that we would like to go and Stefania gave us free tickets and directions. We were so happy and had a lovely evening.
We stayed here at the end of a very busy two week tour (Verona, Lake Garda, Venice, Florence and Montepulciano) and were in desperate need of some rest and relaxation. We could not have stayed anywhere more perfect. The house itself is beautifully presented and situated on a hill with very well kept grounds. The views were stunning. We found it so comfortable that we decided to just stay in all day relaxing, sunbathing and reading. At night the area is so quiet that you sleep like a baby!
I could not recommend this place enough. It was truly amazing and we will definitely be returning.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

1 Thank seal9667
72sfn, Proprietario at Montorio, responded to this review, 11 September 2013
Dear Mr Seal
thank you for this wondeful review and for the many photo you have posted
I am particulary happy that you enjoyed your stay and that you would like to be back
Thank you to have partecipate at the concert I organize at my boutique hotel Villa Poggiano , it has been a pleasure to have you there and that could appreciate
I look forward to see you again