“Like we arrived in a movie”
Review of Relais San Bruno

Relais San Bruno
Ranked #4 of 44 Montepulciano B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 11 June 2012

We are fortunate to travel a lot. We have stayed at a lot of nice places over the years, from the Ritz and Four Seasons to many VRBO rentals. This place is the most romantic, beautiful, relaxing place we have ever stayed. The grounds are stunning, flowers, orchards, vineyards, olive trees etc. A nice pool and a great room, second floor with window to the west and north. The huge window to the west looked over a huge valley of Tuscan countryside where you could see 2 other small hilltop villages. Through the window facing north we could lay in bed at night with the window open looking at the ancient village of Montepulciano lite up on the hilltop. Like something out of a movie set. Almost didn't look real. The owner/host, the breakfast staff, everyone there could not have been nicer or more accommodating. This is a small facility with no restaurant, only breakfast. It is a long 1km+ walk into the village where there are many dining options. If you want a romantic get away this is a magical place.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for the top floor suites it is worth every penny
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
relaisrsb, Proprietario at Relais San Bruno, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2012

Dear Dieselcam,
Thank you very much for your nice review.
I am pleased you had a good time in my property and Hope there will be another occasion to host you again at Relais San Bruno.
We all try hard to give the best services to our guests and when we receive a nice feedback like yours we are very happy.
Cheers from Italy
Alberto

There are newer reviews for Relais San Bruno

Reviewed 9 June 2012

The setting for this small luxury b&b is beautiful with several acres of lovely garden and gorgeous views.A view of San Biagio even from the delightful pool -classy. My room was extremely nice and spacious but cosy with large bed and big sofa,The open fire would be lovely in the right season. I picked garden flowers for the mantelpiece -there are plenty of those in May.The place is gated and secure -you feel very safe even though most rooms at ground level which I love.
On the downside ,the breakfast was nothing special and it is a shame they do no other food (except coffee or tea -most welcome in the afternoon) as it is a fair hike to the nearest eatery and even further to the shops.We arrived quite late as our plane and train were delayed, luckily we had something to snack on with us.The place they serve breakfast in is very pretty.You can have your afternoon tea here with great relaxing music(though after a while you realise its always the same music) My bathroom was really nice. I tried the Jacuzzi but am still not sure how I got it to start and stop.One detail,as with many places that are not so cheap I do wonder why they cant invest in thermostatic shower controls,they really are not that dear.
A car is essential here and the driving not that easy until you get to know the place a little - all part of the holiday I guess.May is nice and quiet.
A good place for keen walkers but a little research may be needed first.
Alberto our host is a very kind and helpful person, arranging restaurant bookings and helping with care hire and so on.He can also supply you with some very nice wine and bring it in a bucket of ice for you,delicious.
There is a flat screen tv and a dvd player -you can borrow dvds from them, although I never even switched my tv on.Good in winter perhaps.
I think I might say this place was excellent if you appreciate what they have here if it wasnt for the food problem and some may not agree

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank monoprinter
relaisrsb, Proprietario at Relais San Bruno, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2012

I was very happy to have you here at my property for 10 days and I am glad you had a good time.
We really try hard to give the best services to our clients and we are sorry you did not enjoy our breakfast. I always thought the breakfast we offer is something special as we daily bake 3 cakes and one savory cake plus we serve fresh fruit (Pineapple) juices, youghurt cereals, fresh Croissants, and selections of Cappuccino and tea and Coffe.
I would have been happy in your 10 days stay to prepare something more that you considered Special for you.
Unfortunately we do not have a restaurant, as we advertise this on the web, we do offer complimentary daily tea and coffe as you mentioned but I was happy anyway to assist you during your pic nics in our gardens with fresh bread and wine.

I look forward to see you again in the future.
All the very Best
ALBERTO

Reviewed 16 May 2012

what a wonderful place ,we decided to stay for the night whilst on a weeks holiday in Florence, Florence is beautiful but very hectic ,so san bruno was a haven of peace and tranquillity,with stunning grounds with beautiful flowers and trees and a superb view of montepulciano,our accommodation was simply the best,i just wish i could have stayed longer,the only thing i would say is that if your travelling by train as we did , montepulciano station is no where near the town ,it is over 10km away and we were very lucky that a kind local phoned a taxi for us which cost us 20 euro s,but it was defiantly worth every penny

Room Tip: all their rooms are stunning
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 May 2012

Most of our trips we have views looking down, but it was absolutely spectacular to wake up, walk to breakfast and see Montepulciano up the hill with San Biagio looming over us.

The room was really more like a little cottage and we were facing away from the valley for more privacy (there was a big group with children, I believe not the normal situation here, so we were put in a private area and it was.) We had our own patio with a table and chairs and a tree that was in full bloom.

Alberto was one of the most gracious hosts we have ever met. We stay at nice places and have had many good experiences, but he is beyond any experience we have had. I threw out my itinerary and went with his recommendations for dining and visiting. He is so helpful and makes you feel very welcome.

We stayed off season and knew the weather could be chilly, so using the pool was not an option. If you go in season, the infinity pool with the views of the town above and valley below will be spectacular. We want to come back when it's warm!

Breakfast was great with the wonderful desserts like torta della nonna, ciocolata, plus several others. Of course, the rest of the selection was substantial and a great cappuccino.

I was impressed with the wonderful highend bathroom amenities.I usually see this type of selection in our wonderful California B&B's.

We stayed four days. The town and surrounding areas, Montalcino, Cortona, San Quirico, Pienza, etc are some of our favorite pictures of our whole trip. We really could stay a week there. I definitely recommend you plan a day to hang out at the pool if the weather is warm.

Room Tip: Our cottage was lovely. We looked at the suite, and that was spectacular.
Reviewed 10 May 2012

My partner and I stayed here as a base for exploring Tuscany. We found the property very nice, the rooms clean and pretty (but nothing spectacular), and the location very good. The manager helped us to make reservations at restaurants and gave us good recommendations. In my opinion this is a good place to stay, and we were very happy, but I would not give it five stars simply because I think there are some things that could be better:

1) Irons and ironing boards in the room. I was told that for security reasons this is not possible - I don't really understand what this means . . . that we might start a fire? that we might steal it? The manager kindly offered to have someone iron things for us. But having travelled with all my clothes stuffed into a suitcase, I basically needed everything ironed, but did not feel comfortable asking for that. Also, we sometimes needed to iron a shirt or dress for dinner, at 8 pm when the staff were not available.
2) Corkscrew and wine glasses in the room. We were in Tuscany!!! We were a decent walk from Montepulciano, so whenever we wanted to go for a nice dinner we would drive (so I could wear heels and we would not be sweaty), but that meant we needed a designated driver. So we brought a bottle back from dinner to enjoy at the hotel, only to discover . . . no corkscrew, no glasses. We ended up buying a corkscrew to use.
3) Transport into town for dinner. The walk up the hill to Montepulciano is no problem for any fit person (in fact we needed it, since we were eating so much!) But, as mentioned above, we often drove to dinner if we wanted to dress up. This meant one person could not drink at dinner, which is not much fun on a romantic holiday. I think it would be a great idea to have a van transport - to Montepulciano at 8, and back at 11, that all the guests could use if they want.
4) Soundproofing! We were in a little cottage suite, attached to a room used by another couple. Their bathroom seemed to adjoin ours, and we could hear everything they said, when they brushed their teeth, took a shower, and other things we didn't need to hear!

I know the above points sound like a lot of complaining, but I want emphasize that we had a really good time. These are just some things that I think could take this hotel to the next level. Thanks for a great week in Montepulciano!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
sanbruno, Proprietario at Relais San Bruno, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2012

Dear Fergy,
Thank you for taking your time and writing the review regarding your stay at relais San Bruno.
I am glad you had a good time and i am sorry if somethings where not as you expected.
Unfortunately we cannot have iron board in the rooms for security reasons, but as we offered our staff ironed for you all the clothes you gave them for free with no charge.

Corkscrew is a good suggestion and i will have them now in the room (thanks for the suggestion).

Transportation in Town is a problem for people that do not want to drive, unfortunately there is not a good taxi service in Montepulciano, we tried one year to have a free shuttle bus but was used so rarely that we had to stop the service.

Looking forward to have you here again in the future.
Kindest Regards CIAO
Alberto

Reviewed 3 May 2012

We arrived without a reservation in mid-April after spending the night in Serronto and were greeted warmly by the owner, Alberto, who couldn't have been nicer, He discounted the room to E180 and it was great value for a beautifully appointed huge room with a wood burning fireplace. He brought us some wine and told us to relax as he looked after getting our bags to the room. The views the property are incredible and we became so relaxed, Alberto brought us some more wine. This hotel would be the perfect place to spend a few days and explore the nearby sights and we will be back to do just that!!!

Reviewed 23 April 2012

Alberto, other staff members and Oliva (a small dog) all took very good care of us. Our 4 years old son was always playing with Oliva in the beautiful garden. The room was very clean and had Italian rural character. Through the window we had an impressive view of the village Montepulciano, which became totally orange just before the sunset.
The location was ideal for driving around the beautiful part of Tuscany. We drove to the places such as Pienza, Bagno Vignoni, Siena, Cortona, Lucignano etc. etc We loved the place and wish to go back again, maybe next time in summer.