“Outdated rooms; bad service”
Review of Borgo Tre Rose

Borgo Tre Rose
Ranked #12 of 28 Hotels in Montepulciano
Charleston, South Carolina
“Outdated rooms; bad service”
Reviewed 12 August 2013

The only good things about this hotel are the view, the pool and the amazing Lilliana, who works the morning/day shift at the restaurant. When we arrived at the hotel around 3:30 pm, we were starving and asked the reception check-in person if we could still eat. She looked at her watch and said simply, "no." We pushed... please? you can't do anything? "NO." Is there a restaurant open nearby? "NO." We felt helpless. We went to the restaurant to checks things out and happened to catch Lilliana at the end of her shift. The kitchen was closed and cleaned-up. After some begging, she took pity on us and had the last kitchen person make us sandwiches, even baking fresh bread for us. She went above and beyond her job requirements and we will never forget that. We were there four nights and she was the nicest person we dealt with the entire time. Everyone else acted annoyed anytime we asked a question or needed anything.

The rooms themselves: Like the previous reviewer said: not good. They are like 1960s Florida beach motel rooms. Very small and cramped, tile floors, old bedspread. Dark. Also, if you're there in the summer, be prepared for very hot rooms. They have A/C but it doesn't work well. Made it very hard to sleep.

The pool: Beautiful indeed. If i could have spent the whole time in the pool I would have. But get this: the hotel actually charges you 2 euros to use their pool towels. Nice hotels (even cheap hotels) simply provide pool towels. It says a lot about this place that they charge you for that.

Bottom line: This hotel needs a major design and service overhaul. It's not enough to just be on a nice piece of property. You need to make your guests feel like you actually want them there, and you need to create a great experience for them from check-in to checkout.

Room Tip: Ask for one with two windows so you can open them at night for a cross-breeze. The A/C is not enough...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
borgoMontepulciano, Direttore at Borgo Tre Rose, responded to this review, 3 September 2013
Dear guests,

Our restaurant proposes light lunch longer than lunch time but we are sorry that on your arrival there was no possibility to have lunch.
We would be honored to welcome you again and we would do our best to make you feel comfortable.
Please contact me directly, I will be happy to take care and show you and your family our hospitality.

General manager
A. De Marco

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Virginia Water, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Ok after an hour of trying to locate this place, I mean why would anyone bother to provide you with proper directions or even have signage at the end of the road of their hotel, I was about to give up, and in many ways I wish I had! On arrival the whole place looks lovely, lots of beautiful buildings situated round a central courtyard, after spending another 10 minutes trying to find reception we were swiftly checked in and shown to our room, I think the receptionist knew immediately something was wrong just by our faces, the disappointment was very obvious. I asked was this really the only room they had and she simply said, "why? what's wrong with it?" Well where should I start????? Think self catering park, Butlins circa 1960 and you wont be far off the mark, there was a damp smell, the room was dark, even the bright orange bathroom couldn't brighten that up! It was simply horrible. I wanted to leave immediately but was convinced by my husband to stay (we were only there 2 nights) as it had taken so long to find.

The positives of the hotel are its location, lovely pool and its fabulous restaurant, however don't bother with breakfast, its stale un appetising and unless you like cake inedible. My husband kindly mentioned one day that the fruit was off, and the response from the waitress was "it can't be I have only just opened the tin!" Nice.

I was desperate to leave by day three and in my hurry simply paid the bill without checking it properly, big mistake, I had been overcharged by several hundred euros, including being billed for someone elses dinner and wine, in the hotels defence, they did immediately apologise and set about correcting it, but this took over half an hour and I had almost lost the will to live by then.

In a nutshell, enjoy the view and don't go inside the hotel/apartments unless you want to be transported back to the 1960's complete with very odd pictures of cats and dogs.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Underwoodfamily3
borgoMontepulciano, Direttore at Borgo Tre Rose, responded to this review, 25 September 2013
We are so sorry that your stay at Borgo Tre Rose was a bad experience for your family.
We would be happy to have another possibility to welcome you in order to show you that our hotel also has many good sides.

The management
enniscorthy
Reviewed 5 July 2013 via mobile

Just outside the village of valiano near the walled hilltop town of montepulciano lies the Borgo Tre Rose hotel and self catering village. It's picture postcard on arrival. We arrived late evening to find a little hitch with our booking, our 2 bedroom self catering turned out to be a 1 bedroom with couch and locked door to another self contained room, occupied. How easily good management can deal with problems. We were offered an extra double room within a 100 metres of our apartment and given dinner on the house to make up for the inconvenience. The next day the other room was opened for us and our real holiday began. Facilities are top rate here. Very nice restaurant, if a little pricey, but good value compared to home. Pool area top rate and very well maintained. Tennis etc available at a price. Great base for touring the surrounding area. Cortona was our favourite but we took in all the surrounding towns. Breakfast was the only disappointment, so self cater for that one.

• Stayed June 2013
Alloa UK
Reviewed 21 June 2013

We picked this hotel as a very special start to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary and it proved to be outstanding.

The whole experience was sublime.

The buildings set on it's own vineyard are so beautiful, the staff exceptionally friendly without being intrusive, the food in the restaurant - award winning quality,

Our accommodation was spotlessly clean on arrival and constantly maintained throughout our stay, and very well equipped.

The pool and gardens are beautifully tended

The sunsets are incredible

If you want a picture postcard view in a beautiful Tuscan setting you cannot fail to be impressed by this hotel, you will need a car to get here and to visit the many wonderful and interesting places Tuscany has to offer.

Hope you love it as much as we have, hopefully some day we will be able to come back

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
borgoMontepulciano, Direttore at Borgo Tre Rose, responded to this review, 25 June 2013
We thank you for your kind words and we are happy that you enjoyed your stay.

The management

A.De Marco
Candiac, Canada
Reviewed 6 June 2013

When we arrived, by car, we couldn't believe that it was the hotel we reserved. Wow, what a view. Breakfast on a terrasse with a fantastic view. As the place is in the middle of nowhere (remember it is a wineyard), it is more convinient to have on site. Food is excellent although the choices are limited. Person at front desk spoke French.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
borgoMontepulciano, Direttore at Borgo Tre Rose, responded to this review, 10 June 2013
We thank you for your kind words and we are looking forward meeting you again in Tuscany

Reviewed 21 May 2013 via mobile

Stayed here on the recommendation of a friend, and were not disappointed!!! Booking was very easy online. Exchanged some emails prior to arrival re: transfers, wine tours etc, and received quick pleasant responses (mostly from Gabriela who was even more pleasant in person!!!)
Getting there is very easy by car, a little over an hour from florence. Check in was easy, just make sure you get there when reception is still open(its a small place...would be silly to have reception 24hrs)
Rooms:
Booked a junior suite. Bedroom, living room, bathroom, and kitchenette(which only got used for opening wine, and cutting up cheese and bread!). Bed was good, view from all sides was seriously breathtaking...that picture you have in your mind of rolling tuscan hills!!!. overall, room was exactly what we hoped for!!
Service:
Reception was outstanding!!!. Helped us book train tickets, spa day, wine tasting, and cooking class. Meal service was good. 4 nights split between two waitresses. Both pleasant, but the one with better english was outstanding. Hilarious, knowledgeable, nice, everything you would hope for!!!
Activity:
Did cooking class with chef Federico, and could have done one every day!! He and sous chef Davide are incredibly talented, funny, welcoming and nice. Made a traditional tuscan meal, which we got to eat that night(wine included). And the kicker...For two people, price ended up very close to doing the prix fixe anyway!! Incredible experience, and would do it a thousand times over!!!
Location:
If you want secluded rolling tuscan hills away from the crowds, in the heart of wine country...then GO!!!
Overall:
Would send friends and family here in a heartbeat. Great location, nice rooms with a rustic feel, amazing people, lovely food and wine...how could you go wrong?!

• Stayed May 2013
borgoMontepulciano, Direttore at Borgo Tre Rose, responded to this review, 31 May 2013
Thank you for your kind words. It would be a great pleasure to welcome you again at Borgo Tre Rose.

Head Manager
A.De Marco
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2013

BOOKING Borgo Tre Rose Hotel
to repeat:
we had booked for 2 nights through booking.com. we arrived at 6pm (weds 27 march) and were shown our "suite" for which we had paid extra as it had space for our children. When we arrived they asked us to pay extra for the child who would use the sofa bed. No problem I said - total cost per night €170. We could not eat the one item on the fixed menu (€30 per person!) that evening so we ate at a local restaurant.
SLEEP
We came back and went to sleep. My wife told me about 2 hours later (11pm) my son woke up and started coughing. I then also woke up and had a terrible headache and stuffy head. I went to reception - CLOSED (at 7pm!!) No contact info! We both could not sleep all night as there was a funny smell which we could not identify.
DAMP WET MUSTY
In the morning we discovered that the smell was damp musty smell from the room probably not being used over winter. The floor was ice-cold. Outside ALL the walls were damp. They had installed vents on all walls to try to dry them but the walls were nevertheless very damp and wet. Now I understood why the air was so smelly and musty. This was clearly a HEALTH RISK and all they could do was try to heat our room before we arrived: it was incredibly hot in the room and I had to open all the windows when we entered. We checked all the mattresses and they were all damp and musty smelling! This was clearly bad responsibility on the part of the hotel. If they had told us that this room was damp and they had other rooms with better dry conditions especially for the children (5y and 8y old) it would have been some help. As it happens when they did show us other rooms - they were equally damp and musty and we even met a russian travel agent in the reception with her group of 4 people who had reserved rooms and after seeing them had rejected the hotel! she had the same opinion as i did: the rooms had very cold floors and had a damp smell. In addition she also thought the rooms were dark and depressing!
CUSTOMER SERVICE and PAYMENT
What followed was what made us cancel the rest of our vacation and go home: I went to reception to complain about the room. One lady from reception came with me and agreed that the floor was ice-cold and the room had a musty smell. She kindly offered another room but it was equally damp and smelly. We decided to leave and told them we had not slept the whole night and were sick because of the damp room. I told them I was not prepared to pay for the room as the minimum requirement for a hotel room at €170 per night was a good sleep. This was clearly NOT possible in the room offered. The lady in reception said she will talk to the manager. I was told no I MUST pay for 2 nights! I refused. I said call the police but I am not paying. In reception was another lady and I asked her if she was the manager. She said she was and her name was Antonella. I asked her to come to my room to smell the air. She came. She entered and said what a beautiful room it was and she could not smell anything. I told her that maybe she should live in the room as she found it so pleasant. They asked if I would pay for one night as a compromise. I said that if they opened the gate I would leave with my car without paying. They refused to open the gate! I said call the police again. They then prepared the bill for one night and added €50 for the booking.com commission. I said the commission for booking.com was not my problem - I had a sick child in my car and I wanted to leave to find somewhere to sleep because we were all very tired and sick. They removed the commission and I paid €170 and they opened the gate and I left.

Room Tip: watch out for rainy periods: probably rooms better in very hot dry weather but are very damp and mu...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
borgoMontepulciano, Direttore at Borgo Tre Rose, responded to this review, 2 April 2013
Dear guests,

We are really desolate you couldn’t enjoy your stay at Borgo Tre Rose. We always do our very best to satisfy our clients. We reserved one of our most beautiful and spacious suite for 2 persons as your reservation made with booking.com.
As you arrived in 4 people, we prepared additional beds, obviously additional beds including buffet breakfast have an additional cost.
Borgo Tre Rose has a caretaker who lives inside the hotel. On arrival we always inform our guests that in case of emergency our caretaker can be contacted at the telephone number written on the reception door.

Previous clients who have stayed in the same suite have not reported any discomfort relating to your complaint. During the Easter holidays the suite was occupied again. The customers were fully satisfied with their accommodation. We cannot understand the reason for this unpleasant episode and we would be pleased to welcome you in another occasion to demonstrate the quality of our services.