“Second Stay”

Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Novara
Devon
“Second Stay”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I recently stayed at the Albergo for the second time. I was offered a different hotel for this stay but opted to stay here. The rooms are dated as mentioned in my previous review and reviews from others, however it's a safe and convenient location. I found my room to be basic but clean with reliable wifi. A decent breakfast each morning all for a reasonable room rate.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Chanksie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Siena, Italy
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Yes, the decor of this place makes you wonder, or wander a few decades back. Still, I disagree with some of the other reviewers that nothing has been done. The light wood at the head of the bed and in several other places, cheap as it may seem, seems relatively new and untarnished. It's still in poor taste, but consistent with the rest.
I didn't find the place dirty. Yes, it's not immaculate (I spotted a hair in the bathroom), but at the price and location, nothing to worry about. There was a small hole in the wall where some electrics had been worked on. Or maybe there was a device there at some point. The one thing that slightly annoyed me was that upon exiting the elevator on the second floor there was a distinct odor. Sweat, I think, like entering a youth hostel dorm. This was consistent throughout the stay. Slight smell of mold in the bathroom, but no obvious signs of it.
Breakfast was slightly above average by Italian standards. You have a limited variety of sweet and savory. There was even a semblance of scrambled eggs, although I avoided that.
Staff was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank RobbieJey
Reviewed 19 October 2013 via mobile

I stayed for one night in the hotel, it was booked for me by a friend

Frankly speaking, the rooms were very old but all was functional

The receptionist was very kind and helpful

The breakfast was good

The location is the best thing about the hotel

The price was very reasonable

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Rijeka, Croatia
Reviewed 10 October 2013

this is the dirtiest hotel I have ever stay in................you have never seen something like this. It was not washed for over 20 years, the blankets are ful of dust, hairdryer almost burned the hotel....it was nightmare.......why 4*????? for what???? one * is enough............we found a few pubic hair in the shower.......

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Novara hotels

Devon
Reviewed 13 July 2013

I stayed at this hotel for two night in July of 2013. I have to say that if I had booked the hotel myself I wouldn't have booked it after looking at the reviews! As I was travelling for business it was booked for me. The reception area and ground floor I would say are typical Italian however the rooms haven't been renovated since the hotel was opened. But and this is a big but, if you can look beyond the flaws the room was clean and the shower was hot. I had a problem with the aircon in my room and was offered an alternative. I had gone out for the evening and the problem was solved whilst out so I didn't need to change. The location of the hotel is fabulous and a stones throw from the town centre. After check out I was contacted by the hotel to say that I had left an item of clothing! Of all the hotels in all the places I have stayed this has never happened before. So a big thank you to the Albergo Italia for their diligence that I was reunited with my linen trousers.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 27 April 2012

I stayed in the hotel for two nights in mid April 2012.
The hotel is centrally located, just minutes from Teatro Coccia, the hospital and sort of central area where people gather in the evenings for drinks.
It costs 9 EUR for a taxi from the train/bus station, but it is only about 10mins walk, mostly on pedestrianized street.

The stay in Albergo Italia was not a pleasant one- my first room no 133 was small in size (single) and not very clean- the wallpaper was peeling and was dirty, especially around the bin area, so was the carpet, the mattress was old and sagging, the TV was very small, the fridge broken and generally the place was dirty and unkempt. I even found two lighters with lots of dust under the bed. My room was on the first floor just above the main entrance and looking down at a busy street with lots of cars passing during the day- in the evening was a bit quieter. The heating/ a/c was not working and the room got very hot. I had to sleep with open window which let in quite a lot of noise. The bathroom was very 80's and it was impossible to find comfortable temperature for the shower- the mixer tap was clearly broken- marking 15C water but the water was scolding. I had very uncomfortable night and in the morning requested room change.

I was put to a double room 105 at the back of the hotel which was bigger and better. The decor and general state of room was better, but still quite shabby. It was much quieter, the bed was better and since it had wooden floor, it also appeared cleaner.

Breakfast was fairly basic and there was not that much to select from apart from one plate of cheese and ham, some cereals, jam, not very appetizingly looking croissants and yoghurt. No fresh fruit available.

There is no free wifi in the hotel (cable in room but have to pay for connection) but there is an ancient PC in the hotel lobby with rather slow connection.

The general feeling of the hotel is old ( although the building is probably from mid 80's), shabby and not well looked after. It certainly is not a 4* hotel, in my opinion barely a 3*.

Novara itself doesn't have much to offer- the centre is small, there are few boutiques and shops but not that many bars and certainly hardly any trattorias or cheap eateries for good home-cooked Italians meals. In fact, wandering around the centre, I only saw 3 or 4 restaurants, all closed and rather pricey at around 20-25 EUR for main meal.

There are also very few convenience or food stores in the centre, apart from rather well hidden Billa with very limited selection of stuff.
Apart from 3-4 interesting churches and a few lovely old buildings there is quite little to see in this town- a morning stroll around would be enough.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
Didam
Reviewed 21 April 2012

It was my first stay here after having stayed last year in the cavour hotel. My first impression was not really good, the internet site leads to believe it is a very high class hotel. It might be so, but it is also very old and outdated. The electrics in the room dated back to the first opening i guess, indirect tube lights for lighting in the room that were not working to well. Flowery wall paper on walla and ceiling, and an old bathroom. I must say my room was very clean. However my colleagues room was not. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The breakfast is the same as in cavour, just below european standards. Italian people might be satisfied with a cappucino and a sweet roll, i prefer to have some bacon and eggs, or even a boiled egg. However this was not on the buffet. Maybe you can change this.

My colleague also felt unsafe, in case of an emergency the staircase layout is not that obvious and signs to emergency fire stairs were not to clear.

If you like old hotels, you should defenately stay here. If you prefer somewhat more modern hotels, stay at the cavour, both are just as close to the city centre, which is nice for site seeing.

• Stayed April 2012