“A Delightful Evening”

Price range: US$25 - US$50
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Fresh products of the highest quality , Tasty homemade local dishes and daily menu for those who wish to make new discoveries without sacrificing the tradition , Rich local and national wine list , Delicius espressos with unimaginable flavor from all over the world ,Whole children's room and diaper changing station , Air conditioned.
Genoa, Italy
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,280 helpful votes
“A Delightful Evening”
Reviewed 12 October 2013

I had a delightful evening at Osteria Numero Uno. This restaurant has what a traveler wants in a dining experience; great food, atmosphere, authentic fresh ingredients, great wines, professional and helpful service making for a evening to remember. As other TA reviewers have mentioned, the menu is on a caulk board, thus when they realized I wasn't Italian, I was immediately asked if I would like it in English. Both servers spoke good English and were able to help me with a few questions. I started with 1/4 L of the Classic Orvieto white wine and they brought a delicious piece of crisp bread soaked in olive oil and herbs with a slice of salami-great! I ordered the pumpkin with gorgonzola cheese and spinach greens - absolutely one of the best meals I have ever had. I requested a smaller size, as I wanted to try two courses, but wish I hadn't; it was wonderful! For my second I had the stuffed pasta with ricotta and spices served with tomatoes and perconi cheese on top. Also excellent but very filling! Unfortunately no room for desert. The young man, a senior in high school who waited on me was delightful, helpful, unobtrusive, attentive and I'm sure he will have a very successful future! As a solo diner, it can sometimes be difficult to enjoy the experience, but this certainly was not the case. Overall this was one of my best meals over the past three years in Italy, including some great food in my "home" city of Genova. I would return to Orvieto, just to eat here again!

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank AnnArborMHT

Israel
“Our best meal in Italy”
Reviewed 25 September 2013

We had two weeks of wonderful eating experiences in Italy and this restaurant was appropriately voted number one by my family. As my son said the food was a bit 'out of the box', delicious and slightly different from so many of the restaurants in Italy. The service was excellent, the price good and the food excellent. We arrived when it was full so did not sit in the main room which is nicer than the room at the entrance. However the service was so good this did not bother us.

• Visited September 2013
Salem, New Hampshire
“INCREDIBLY Delicious!”
Reviewed 22 September 2013

Angelo has to be considered a artist when it comes to delighting the palate. His approach to both his cooking and pleasing his guests is passionate which comes through when tasting his creations. There were 14 of us for dinner and that in itself did not sway his attempt to serve each of us with our different wants for wine and food. We started with a viewing of the hugest porchini mushrooms we had ever seen - that he sliced and sautéed with Parmesan cheese.

My first course led to a fresh spinach and ricotta ravioli with fresh tomatoes, basil pesto and slivered Parmesan cheese. The main course continued with a pork tenderloin with fresh peaches and balsamic vinegar.

My friends with varied tastes ordered a variety of beef, pappardelle with wild boar sauce and a real twist - anchovy pie. However, the most unusual was the Haunted Eggplant - Aubergine stuffed with olives and eggplant with tomato Umbrichelli that was baked. The presentation of the entire eggplant - stuffed and recapped was spectacular. The local wines were wonderful. The two desserts were unbelievable. The first was a perfect blackberry pie with fresh figs,and presented with real cream to the side, almonds and drizzled with an orange and cinnamon syrup- absolutely astounding. The second was a cottage cheese mixed with rosemary, olive oil, chocolate chips and toasted almonds chilled to perfection. It was so good seconds of just this dessert were ordered to share a second time around. We capped off the night with a local grappa and left wishing we could have a definite rerun.

• Visited September 2013
Ottawa, ON
“A real delight!”
Reviewed 21 August 2013

This was our first meal at Osteria Numero Uno and we were very impressed by the service. selections and the quality of the meal. Angelo, the owner-chef made an appearance at our request so that we could thank him personally. The pasta was perfect, al dente, the sauces aromatic and the plates served piping hot. My wife's 'perfumed boar' was exceptional... a real delicacy! We have eaten at several wonderful restaurants, trattoria and osteria in Orvieto and Osteria Numero Uno ranks with the best of them. Try the house special dessert, a mix of ricotta, rosemary sauce and various nuts... it was sinful! Our best wishes to Angelo and staff and thanks to our B&B hostess Sabrina for suggesting this little gem.

Visited August 2013
“Loved it!”
Reviewed 9 August 2013

We stayed one night close to Orvieto (at Pietra Campana, see separate review) and had dinner at this place. The food was very good but the top rating pertain more to the service, warm, caring and great humour. The napkins were also something special, loved it. Go to this place if in Orvieto.

Visited July 2013