“Haunted Mansion” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #23 of 28 Hotels in Orvieto
utah
“Haunted Mansion”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2011

This is a strange place. The public rooms are elegant with frescoed ceilings and antique furnishings. But there is almost a funereal atmosphere about the place. It is a very large old palazzo and I think we were the only ones there. Our footsteps echoed up the wide marble stairs where the placement of an urn and a black candelabra added to the haunted house effect. I expected to be greeted by the Adams family. The high ceilinged room could have been lovely if it hadn't been painted gray and didn't have a hideous modular metal contraption that they added as a bathroom. There is also the problem of the campanile which gongs every 15 minutes day and NIGHT. Sleep was a definite issue. If you still want to brave it, don't get the breakfast. We paid 8 euro each for a dry roll and watered down juice. that was it.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank jannycamUtah

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2010

This place is unbelievable! It's got a charming elegance that I've not seen in very many hotels in Europe, and I've been to a lot. Huge carpeted staircase, heavy oaken doors, and lovely fixtures--all for very good prices. My bed was very comfortable, the room was spacious, the en suite bathroom was roomy, and the service was excellent. Breakfast was nothing spectacular, but you are one block from the main street (Corso), where there are cafes and shops galore. Be SURE and eat dinner at the Trattoria around the second right corner.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled solo
      Location
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
2 Thank bcbennett
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2005

I stayed at the Reale in July of 2004. I was sent there by a family of men in town who were kind enough to refer me when I drove in and asked for the "most beautiful" hotel in town. I was not disappointed.
The hotel had been the residence for the famous Family of the town once upon a time. It has that lovely old world charm, and is, get this, INEXPENSIVE! I was amazed when Cladio, my wonderful friend at the front desk, led me to my single room that had chandeliers and frescoes on the ceilings. All this for less than 70 euros! Oh, and the bath.... Bella. I soaked in that enormous tub until I was fully cooked!
They do not offer food, but there are great places for breakfast just around the corner. I will ONLY stay here when I get back again. Period.

• Stayed July 2004